Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ChargePoint Home Wi-Fi Connected Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger - $839.20

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 9:20 am
[OP]
Nov 2, 2001
125 posts
72 upvotes
Waterloo

[Amazon.ca] ChargePoint Home Wi-Fi Connected Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger - $839.20

20% off level 2 home charger for electric cars.

Might be good to get before they scrap the rebate.
79 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
Called up about this unit to see if the charge rate can be controlled and it cannot. So it will charge at full rate car is capable of drawing and cannot be set by the user to give a slower longer duration charge.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4440 posts
1100 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Called up about this unit to see if the charge rate can be controlled and it cannot. So it will charge at full rate car is capable of drawing and cannot be set by the user to give a slower longer duration charge.
Just curious - is it better to have a variable charge rate so that at peak electricity rate periods you set it to draw less giving you a lower electricity bill or are there any other reasons it would be worth it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
x-batman wrote: Just curious - is it better to have a variable charge rate so that at peak electricity rate periods you set it to draw less giving you a lower electricity bill or are there any other reasons it would be worth it?
I was interested in charging at a slower rate to extend battery life (less heat in the Summer) and to keep battery warm throughout the night in the winter, yet having the ability to charge faster when needed.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2018
1017 posts
1146 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I was interested in charging at a slower rate to extend battery life (less heat in the Summer) and to keep battery warm throughout the night in the winter, yet having the ability to charge faster when needed.
Probably depends on if your car allows it. Tesla’s for instance can select a charge rate in the car so that would work but depends on what you have
Jan 4, 2007
395 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I was interested in charging at a slower rate to extend battery life (less heat in the Summer) and to keep battery warm throughout the night in the winter, yet having the ability to charge faster when needed.
You need flo x5 charger. Ability to adjust the amps plus stop and start via WiFi is awesome.
Dec 3, 2009
305 posts
148 upvotes
Simcoe County
I have this charger for my Ioniq ev with active battery cooling for charging I doubt there would be any benefit in slowing the charge. My car takes about 3 1/2 hours from from empty to full. It supports schedules and I can remotely override the schedule from my smart phone. Personally I like the charger.
Apr 8, 2007
833 posts
302 upvotes
For those in the know, would this one be better (with 25ft cord @ 879.20) vs Costco Sun Country Highway ClipperCreek EV40P 32 Amp Plug-in EV Charging Station @ $849.99?

I don't need the WiFi application. Any suggestions?

After executive membership discount and after tax, Amazon is $50 more than Costco. I don't know much about these things. Is the Amazon one worth $50 more (I will never use the WiFi thing).
Dec 3, 2009
305 posts
148 upvotes
Simcoe County
ipassgas wrote: For those in the know, would this one be better (with 25ft cord @ 879.20) vs Costco Sun Country Highway ClipperCreek EV40P 32 Amp Plug-in EV Charging Station @ $849.99?

I don't need the WiFi application. Any suggestions?

After executive membership discount and after tax, Amazon is $50 more than Costco. I don't know much about these things. Is the Amazon one worth $50 more (I will never use the WiFi thing).
I have the Chargepoint w/25' cord on mine. Makes it handy when I move things around in the driveway.

Having said that they both do the same thing.

Chargepoint has a great app tho for controlling it, but also for the data that you might want to track. Such as the amount of time it was charging, how much electricity you used, setting a charge schedule for cheaper charge times (my is set to off-peak time, which I can override if I want), and finally it emails me when my car has finished charging. It's handy, all,some or none of those features but at least you have them .
Mar 30, 2017
15 posts
1 upvote
The sun country one is also a plug in charger whereas the charge point one is hard wired. So if you wanted to move the sun country one around, might be better..
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
It says 32amp - what if your panel can only support lower amps? -can this run at lower amps to let says 8 or 12amps?

Would it just auto adjust based on amps ur panel draw?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10424 posts
11100 upvotes
Toronto
ysl5710 wrote: It says 32amp - what if your panel can only support lower amps? -can this run at lower amps to let says 8 or 12amps?

You have to have a panel rated for at LEAST 40amps to use this. The 32 amps need to be 80% of the load. And yes it’ll do 32amps all the time.
Jan 12, 2017
732 posts
55 upvotes
Using a Home25+ with my Model 3 via the J1772 adapter that Tesla includes. Works very well, and the electrician encased it in a metal enclosure that locks, since I live on a busy and very active road.
May 6, 2006
357 posts
424 upvotes
Brampton
jerjaroonie wrote: The sun country one is also a plug in charger whereas the charge point one is hard wired. So if you wanted to move the sun country one around, might be better..
The Chargepoint comes in 2 models (hardwired and plugin for a few dollars more).
Feb 9, 2014
24 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
So I just buy the charger myself and call up an electrician?

I always assumed that it is frowned upon since they don't get to mark up the cost on the product.

Or do I have to install myself and get it inspected?
Feb 14, 2008
318 posts
204 upvotes
idcrisis wrote: So I just buy the charger myself and call up an electrician?

I always assumed that it is frowned upon since they don't get to mark up the cost on the product.

Or do I have to install myself and get it inspected?
You can do it either way. Install it yourself (does not need inspection) and call it a day. You will only receive the rebate on the charger itself for 50% of its cost up to $500 total rebates.

Or you can hire an electrician to install it. In order to qualify for the INSTALLATION rebate of 50% up to $500 it must be inspected by an ESA certified electrician (usually you hire an ESA certified electrician to do the install too).

In total the government will give you up to $1000 total for the charger and install. $500 max for the charger and $500 for the install.
Sep 15, 2010
145 posts
59 upvotes
If you still had funds left over could the rebate be applied to two chargers?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1106 posts
958 upvotes
chodatus wrote: If you still had funds left over could the rebate be applied to two chargers?
You only get to claim 1 charger/install per each EV you have.
Sep 15, 2010
145 posts
59 upvotes
Thanks. I am looking for one for my Ford Fusion Energi. Is this the best deal currently. Any other suggestions?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4101 posts
2121 upvotes
Niagara
ysl5710 wrote: It says 32amp - what if your panel can only support lower amps? -can this run at lower amps to let says 8 or 12amps?

Anikiri wrote: You have to have a panel rated for at LEAST 40amps to use this. The 32 amps need to be 80% of the load. And yes it’ll do 32amps all the time.
When you configure the ChargePoint for the first time it asks if you've wired it on a 20A or 40A circuit (for 16A or 32A operation).

So while you can't really adjust it on the fly, you can wire it for 16A operation if you like.