Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Chefsteps Joule Sous Vide - $194/209 (Historic Low)

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 3:31 am
[OP]
Nov 8, 2008
562 posts
666 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Chefsteps Joule Sous Vide - $194/209 (Historic Low)

The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide machine is on sale for $209.00, which is a historic low according to Cx3. The model without the stainless steel cap is $194.00.

Based on reviews it seems like a good starter sous vide machine that offers a bit more than the comparable Anova Wifi. It's more powerful, more compact, and based on reviews is built better. It's also airtight, so the reliability issues that the non-nano Anova seems to have sometimes are hopefully a non-issue here. Drawbacks are that it has no manual (on device) controls - everything is via Bluetooth/Wifi through their app.

It won America's Test Kitchen's recommendation from their comparison of sous vide machines: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articl ... E294F67706 (actual ATK article is paywalled)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
Im seeing $249, is there a code or something for it?
Jun 13, 2017
35 posts
52 upvotes
Shows 249 for me as well.

Based on reviews it is better than ANOVA. Would probably get @200+
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1953 posts
4191 upvotes
Markham
Not seeing the 209 price.

Historically Joule’s own website sometimes discounts to $199, but this is cheaper if it’s $209 and you use the 10% cash back from GCR.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2189 posts
473 upvotes
Red Deer
Also not seeing the price the OP quoted.

On a side note; for Sous Vide newbies would the Instant Pot branded one (Accu Slim - link) be a good option? It’s $80 at BBB (with 20% coupon), I know it doesn’t have the smart wireless features but in all honesty I’m not sure I’d miss them.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13706 posts
3753 upvotes
GTA
carsncars wrote: The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide machine is on sale for $209.00, which is a historic low according to Cx3. The model without the stainless steel cap is $194.00.

Based on reviews it seems like a good starter sous vide machine that offers a bit more than the comparable Anova Wifi. It's more powerful, more compact, and based on reviews is built better. It's also airtight, so the reliability issues that the non-nano Anova seems to have sometimes are hopefully a non-issue here. Drawbacks are that it has no manual (on device) controls - everything is via Bluetooth/Wifi through their app.

It won America's Test Kitchen's recommendation from their comparison of sous vide machines: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articl ... E294F67706 (actual ATK article is paywalled)
Just curious, what are the main issues with the non-nano Anovas you have seen?

Thx for posting
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1744 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
Which vacum sealers should i be getting for sous vide. I've been using freezer bags but it seems so wasteful
Aug 26, 2011
428 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Rob76 wrote: Also not seeing the price the OP quoted.

On a side note; for Sous Vide newbies would the Instant Pot branded one (Accu Slim - link) be a good option? It’s $80 at BBB (with 20% coupon), I know it doesn’t have the smart wireless features but in all honesty I’m not sure I’d miss them.
Probably a personal preference, but if I were just new to it, I would go with the instant pot brand. Unless you expect to be using it alot. I have the anova and use it maybe once a month now. I did use it more when I got it originally. If you find you like to cook with it, then go for an upgrade.
Aug 26, 2011
428 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls
stanleylai wrote: Which vacum sealers should i be getting for sous vide. I've been using freezer bags but it seems so wasteful
You'll spend more money with bags using a vacuum sealer than Ziploc. It's just a bit more convenient to use the sealed bags since you don't have to prop it up.
Nov 14, 2012
738 posts
384 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Has anyone been able to get the OP sale price?
Nov 9, 2009
10 posts
17 upvotes
Ziplock bags are fine, BUT the reason why I like a foodsaver is because you can sous vide from frozen to cook by adding an extra hour of cook time, instead of waiting for the meat to thaw then cook. I purchase in bulk so I only have to prep a few times then Sous vide steaks or chicken breasts whenever I want. We purchase the costco ribeye without bone, cut them into 1 1/2” cuts then throws the seasoning and steaks in a vacuum sealed bag. Vacuum sealed meat will last upwards of 6-8 months. But honestly I have some meat close to 10-11 months and still no freezer burn. (Your experience may vary) sous vide is not for everyone, but you can never really over cook the meet by doing it so leaving what ever your cooking longer isn’t really a problem.
Nov 9, 2009
10 posts
17 upvotes
If you are worried about waste from the sous vide or the freezer bags you can try silicone reusable sous vide bags, but I personally have not found any that work as well as vacuum sealed.
Also not to hi-Jack the thread, but if you DM anova reps on Facebook or Twitter they usually will give you a discount code. ( I own 2 of the WiFi anovas and use them a few times a week)
Jun 3, 2007
477 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
$200 for what amounts to an immersion heater and a circulating fan?

I picked up a Monoprice Sous vide Strata has been <$100 a bunch of times and is a perfectly capable machine. I picked up a return from Amazon for ~$50 and it works fine. In fact there's a return on Amazon now for $62.
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Sous-Vi ... pons&psc=1

Besides, I consider it a CON that there's no manual controls on this thing. Seriously?! Most users will tell you that bluetooth/wifi is the first thing they stop using when they have the option...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1470 posts
542 upvotes
Yzord wrote: $200 for what amounts to an immersion heater and a circulating fan?

I picked up a Monoprice Sous vide Strata has been <$100 a bunch of times and is a perfectly capable machine. I picked up a return from Amazon for ~$50 and it works fine. In fact there's a return on Amazon now for $62.

Besides, I consider it a CON that there's no manual controls on this thing. Seriously?! Most users will tell you that bluetooth/wifi is the first thing they stop using when they have the option...
Yeah. I use the Anova and I never use the bluetooth. I like the chefsteps sous vide because of it's power and size but no screen kills it for me. It's too much hassle to open my app to set the temperature to get it going.
May 10, 2006
542 posts
143 upvotes
YYC
Highly recommend the Joule, I bought one when it was first released. It's very well built and is a bit smaller in profile compared to regular brands like Anova. The app works great especially for a cooking illiterate like myself.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2008
562 posts
666 upvotes
FWIW, looks like they ended the $194/$209 price point a couple hours after I posted this.
Oct 21, 2005
683 posts
549 upvotes
Yzord wrote: $200 for what amounts to an immersion heater and a circulating fan?

Agreed. I've had the Anova wifi for 4+ years and it does what it needs to do perfectly. It has wifi but I only ever use manual controls. Not having them would be a deal breaker, and I can't imagine paying twice the cost for one that didn't have them. Last thing I want to do is fiddle with an app just to cook something.