Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Cino Cleano Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets (8 count for $14.98, 12% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 9:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
53 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Cino Cleano Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets (8 count for $14.98, 12% off)

Being looking at a sale at those cleaning tablets for espresso backflush, not descaling. Came up today, not much, 12% but figure I'll pick one up. Thought I'd share as many probably have new espresso machines and hitting those 200 cycles soon. : )

I see Cafiza cleaning tablets are far cheaper at $0.18 each... but I figure I won't need it so often I'll just stick with the one suggested by Breville here.

Here is a good read on what backflush is:
https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/ho ... so-machine
Last edited by univek on Jul 13th, 2020 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
If you want to DIY, looks like it's just baking soda with a little dish soap and bleach.
Make sure you thoroughly rinse with fresh water after.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1721 upvotes
Montreal
Is an "Expresso" machine a new kind of device? :P

But in all seriousness, I find most of these kinds of products are overpriced as you can do the same thing with household products. Like engineered said, a baking soda solution would likely produce similar results.

I used to use a vinegar or lemon-based solution, but this is only good if your machine uses exclusively metal parts as the acidic properties can damage plastic parts.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
dhomas wrote: Is an "Expresso" machine a new kind of device? :P

But in all seriousness, I find most of these kinds of products are overpriced as you can do the same thing with household products. Like engineered said, a baking soda solution would likely produce similar results.

I used to use a vinegar or lemon-based solution, but this is only good if your machine uses exclusively metal parts as the acidic properties can damage plastic parts.
Yea, I normally just use vinegar to rinse it out. Maybe I'll do a baking soda mix after that. Vinegar also works great as a rinse aide in your dishwasher.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1948 posts
218 upvotes
Ottawa
Your have to be careful with the cleaning solution you use in your machine. If you use too harsh a treatment for your machine it can damage the machine and you can void your warranty. Don't use vinegar or bleach; most machines recommend lactic or citric acid.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1721 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: Yea, I normally just use vinegar to rinse it out. Maybe I'll do a baking soda mix after that. Vinegar also works great as a rinse aide in your dishwasher.
I stopped using vinegar as a rinse agent. Though it was effective, it can damage the (plastic) insides of your dishwasher, even if you own a metal tub dishwasher.

The baking soda mix seems like a much safer option for an espresso machine.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
53 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
dhomas wrote: Is an "Expresso" machine a new kind of device? :P
lol oh boy. Senior moment there... thx : )
Sep 29, 2011
216 posts
172 upvotes
Quebec
Those tablets are used for backflushing the group heat with a blank disk, not for descaling (those are two very different maintenance procedures)
In order to backflush your machine, you need one with a 3 way solenoid valve
And please, don't use bleach anywhere near your espresso machine...
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
53 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
maliken7576 wrote: Can this be used for Nespresso machines?
No, as @guillaume019 mentioned above, "Those tablets are used for backflushing the group heat with a blank disk". For Nespresso, assuming you meant descaling, you'd use the descaling solution.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6786 posts
1015 upvotes
Etobicoke
You should check your machine's instructions for proper cleaning procedure. For me, I use 2 different types of cleaning products :

1) descaler - these are mild acid solutions meant to remove calcium water deposits in the machine. Calcium deposits (esp in areas with hard water) can clog up fine orifices in the boiler and impede water flow/pressure in the group head. you can use watered down vinegar (acetic acid) to do this. However, vinegar has a foul smell. So, another alternative is to use citric acid.
2) cleaner - espresso beans contain oil. This is what gives the nice espresso flavour. But oil will cause fine coffee grinds to collect and block the group head and porta filter. So you will need a slightly caustic solution to dissolve the oil. Dish soap works. But is tough to wash off afterwards and leaves smell. You can also use baking soda which is scentless.

Dissolve these cleaners in water and run it through the machine, both the steam wand and group head. And if you have one of those pressurized porta filters, the porta filter too. Afterwards, run clean water through the machine to flush out the chemicals.

Automatic machines have their own special cleaning procedures and may depend on special $$$ cleaners. Manual machines can generally be cleaned with the above 2 products.
Aug 1, 2005
303 posts
273 upvotes
eelfliw wrote: you can use watered down vinegar (acetic acid) to do this. However, vinegar has a foul smell. So, another alternative is to use citric acid
Vinegar will react with some metals and eat them (eg aluminum). I would not do this unless you are certain it's supported by your machine.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2366 posts
2424 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a bag of citric acid powder, and you're set for a long time.
I use it for my kettle and hot water dispenser too.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2034 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Are these any different than buying philips cleaning tabs?
Sep 6, 2011
251 posts
83 upvotes
I’m wondering the same. I can’t seem to find the Philips tablets lately.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5393 posts
5432 upvotes
Edmonton
stovetop wrote: What size do I need for the Breville Barista Express BES870XL?
I use the e16 (first link) on the barista.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals