Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Circle with Disney - Parental Controls and Filters for your Family's Connected Devices $43.53

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 12:09 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2018
7 posts
9 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Amazon Canada] Circle with Disney - Parental Controls and Filters for your Family's Connected Devices $43.53

28 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1231 posts
651 upvotes
Calgary
I have been somewhat intrigued by these devices. Do you know if this requires a subscription to use? I believe the newer “circle” device has a monthly fee after the first year. On the Amazon description it mentions a monthly fee but if I am understanding right that fee seems to be for a “out of house” service.
Oct 16, 2005
741 posts
276 upvotes
Price match with Best buy maybe for an additional $5.xx off
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4602 posts
643 upvotes
SK
Bought this at the last sale ($50) and works great for blocking content and setting time limits. The new device alert is great too so you’ll be notified if your network is shared without your knowledge.
Mar 7, 2011
94 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
jarfgames wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 11:50 am
I have been somewhat intrigued by these devices. Do you know if this requires a subscription to use? I believe the newer “circle” device has a monthly fee after the first year. On the Amazon description it mentions a monthly fee but if I am understanding right that fee seems to be for a “out of house” service.
Correct no subscription fees for this (older) model.
Choosing to manage mobile devices while not connected to your home WIFI will require a separate fee.
Mar 13, 2005
580 posts
174 upvotes
Had a co-worker who LOVED her circle as it helped with a lot of family-internet dynamics and worked flawlessly.

THEN she upgraded their internet to Bell Fibe a week or two ago and received the "Home Hub 3000" (or whatever) and it turns out that's one of the incompatible routers. Now she's fighting with Bell to downgrade her router so she can have her circle back.
Aug 17, 2011
136 posts
83 upvotes
TORONTO
For anyone that may be interested in this but also considering upgrading to mesh wifi, there are mesh products that include these content blocking features.
I have a TP link deco M5 and if you use one of the pods in router mode, it has built in features similar to the blocking features of the Disney device (plus some other functions).
This may allow you to avoid adding yet another device to your network.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3108 posts
260 upvotes
Bought one on sale for $50 a few months ago at Best Buy, it's been great. I set time filters, I set on and off times, I can see what they are doing (not for Youtube though, this just shows as YouTube but there are other ways to look at what they visit), etc. To me, with a couple of almost teens, it was a no brainer for $50.
Oct 6, 2015
141 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I paid full price for it $130+tax, worth every penny.

The filter works perfect, on/off timer is perfect (turn off wifi at 9pm), usage is a bit debatable (cuz sometimes kids leave computer on and uses up "all their wifi"), it can also block specific app (for example, block Fortnite).
Oct 25, 2018
394 posts
380 upvotes
"Actiontec T3200M - Not Supported"

Frig do I need to get rid of this thing for better wifi coverage and parental options, is there anything that has all this built in?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11606 posts
5741 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Can’t figure out how this device is beneficial. A combination of my Asus app which can block devices remotely and time schedule anything on its network, OurPact, and mainly iOS Screen Time which universally put limits on their phones and is parental password protected does the trick. Something this does I’m missing?