• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 8:12 pm
Aug 15, 2017
132 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario
randomroyalty wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 3:56 pm
I'm actually NAUI certified since 1995 but I haven't fallen into the dive hobby obsession. There just aren't that many opportunities to dive the way I like in Canada, and why would I want to invest in a ton of gear and lug it around the globe for a vacation that may or may not revolve around diving. I have other interests than working my way up to dive master or instructor. So I'm happy just going for a recert on a lark when an opportunity presents itself and I like my life that way.
I don't think I'd neccisarily call being into diving being an obsession, nothing wrong with having a hobby! I find there is a lot of diving in Canada to do especially on the coasts. Even in Ontario I do a lot of diving still.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2009
711 posts
379 upvotes
Montreal
Fogest wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 4:08 pm
I don't think I'd neccisarily call being into diving being an obsession, nothing wrong with having a hobby! I find there is a lot of diving in Canada to do especially on the coasts. Even in Ontario I do a lot of diving still.
Oh for sure some great diving in Canada (I'm thinking thousand islands)...but the season is short in our northern climate. Most of my dive friends lives revolve around diving and are somewhat obsessed with the hobby, especially gear, which can get expensive. You want to feel like the investment is worthwhile, so I get it.

I'm just not that into it, but won't hesitate to take the opportunity if it presents itself.
Aug 15, 2017
132 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario
randomroyalty wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 7:19 pm
Oh for sure some great diving in Canada (I'm thinking thousand islands)...but the season is short in our northern climate. Most of my dive friends lives revolve around diving and are somewhat obsessed with the hobby, especially gear, which can get expensive. You want to feel like the investment is worthwhile, so I get it.

I'm just not that into it, but won't hesitate to take the opportunity if it presents itself.
It's not for everyone, but I know a lot of people who really do push the dive season and dive a majority of it. Especially with how on and off our winter seems to be with a drysuit and some warm stuff under it apparently it can be pretty manageable. Unfortunately I just finished school and don't have the kind of money for a drysuit or any gear upgrades, but that is the dream! The plan is to eventually do travelling in warmer areas and do scuba diving, but for now I have to stick with what I can afford. On the plus side getting a lot of cold water experience will help me out in the warm water!

Anyway though we should probably continue this in PM if we want to continue the discussion. Otherwise I wish you a good day Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes