• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 10:31 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13559 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
The Skywalker chrono has sold out, and the Death Star watch is 94% claimed as of this post, so I guess someone is buying these!

At sub $100 I'd buy all of them, but at these prices I will sit it out.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13559 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: I'm a star wars fan, and I'm not even considering touching these. Specs are poor enough, but the design looks like a dog's breakfast of loosely themed colors.
Let's be fair and say that the specs are better than you would get from Seiko in a sub $500 Limited edition watch. I don't think Seiko has any sub $500 LE watches anymore.

Citizen eco drives are solid long lasting beater watches.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6214 posts
930 upvotes
These are new and limited but already at deep discount. It says a lot about their popularity. I'm a Star Wars fan and rather spend the money on a set of Star Wars Lego or Hot toys figure. Frankly, I will stop wearing this kind of watch in no time. Much rather wear my automatic watches instead. I am more willing to buy it if it's a smart watch.

Another problem with Eco Drive is that if you keep it in your watch box or drawer, it will lose the power. I have too many watches so won't be wearing these often enough. It's a practical issue in that sense for some people.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13559 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote: These are new and limited but already at deep discount. It says a lot about their popularity. I'm a Star Wars fan and rather spend the money on a set of Star Wars Lego or Hot toys figure. Frankly, I will stop wearing this kind of watch in no time. Much rather wear my automatic watches instead. I am more willing to buy it if it's a smart watch.
That's fair, but Seiko seems to do well with limited edition quartz watches, like the reissue of the Seiko Arnie Predator watch.

Personally I think most of these Star Wars watches look a bit childish, but I also don't really know how they could make a Star Wars watch *not* look childish. It's Star Wars!

The Boba Fett one is most obviously Star Wars, to me, and it's a fun casual watch. The Death Star watch is ruined by having a face that's too hard to read.
May 19, 2003
937 posts
144 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: This bad boy Citizen Eco Drive Aviator was just $65 for Black Friday on Amazon.ca, I ordered it, deal is now dead.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KCF7JL6/

But it shows that you are paying a big premium for the Star Wars branding, since the watches are of similar tech and quality.
The Star wars watches are still way overpriced considering you could have picked up a Bulova Lunar Pilot commemorative watch which is of very high-quality with Sapphire crystal etc. for $230 (really enjoy wearing it with the Nato type strap included)
I picked up the same aviator watch as you did last year for $80 and really like wearing it as well with a black Nato I purchased separately, granted it is a bit big but it's made to mimic the old Fleiger WW2 style which were even bigger back then.
Heatware: 56-0-0
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13559 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
Cheezy wrote: The Star wars watches are still way overpriced considering you could have picked up a Bulova Lunar Pilot commemorative watch which is of very high-quality with Sapphire crystal etc. for $230 (really enjoy wearing it with the Nato type strap included)
I picked up the same aviator watch as you did last year for $80 and really like wearing it as well with a black Nato I purchased separately, granted it is a bit big but it's made to mimic the old Fleiger WW2 style which were even bigger back then.
WW2 Fliegers were bigger than 45mm? Interesting, I had no idea that was the case.
May 19, 2003
937 posts
144 upvotes
I believe around 55mm for easy visibility during combat
Heatware: 56-0-0
Oct 12, 2011
335 posts
176 upvotes
CARP
M1K3Z0R wrote: would have been nice to see a first order insignia hologram dial

As if Sequel Trilogy stuff sells.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13559 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote: These are new and limited but already at deep discount. It says a lot about their popularity. I'm a Star Wars fan and rather spend the money on a set of Star Wars Lego or Hot toys figure. Frankly, I will stop wearing this kind of watch in no time. Much rather wear my automatic watches instead. I am more willing to buy it if it's a smart watch.

Another problem with Eco Drive is that if you keep it in your watch box or drawer, it will lose the power. I have too many watches so won't be wearing these often enough. It's a practical issue in that sense for some people.
You will have issues with any watch if you leave it in the drawer long enough. Automatics last 2 days max without wearing before they need to be reset, and most battery quartz watches only last 2-3 years max before a battery swap is needed.

Citizen Eco Drive supposedly has a 6 month power reserve once fully recharged (ie can function without light for 6 months). Can always leave it on a windowsill to charge as well. If the watch is not gonna get worn for 6+ month periods, why buy it anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5023 posts
1485 upvotes
GTEH!
Deal is dead.
Mods please move to "expired"
😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)