[Amazon.ca] CLIF BAR - Energy Bars - (68 Gram Protein Bars, 12 Count) 9.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 12:17 pm
Oct 20, 2019
170 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
IDStorms wrote: Image
Might be wrong but I think it's more than 20g. Food companies are no different than any other type of companies. They play tricky games & take advantage of the loopholes in the food regulations.

So for instance, correct me if I am wrong, they would use many types of sweetners in stead of sugar so that they'd get away with the "sugar free" label, or to reduce the amount of sugar listed in the nutritional facts.

In the case of Clif bars, how come it contains 44 carbohydrates while only having 20g sugar? Where are 40 carbs coming from?

Even if actually only contain 20g sugar, that's still equivalent to FIVE teaspoons of sugar in one bar.

May I suggest a cheaper & better alternative? One banana + one boiled egg before workout & you're good to go. Lots of other easy healthier alternatives & they cost a fraction of what these bars offer.
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Jun 7, 2013
318 posts
165 upvotes
KANATA
Ultra marathon runners use these.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1783 posts
1391 upvotes
Ottawa
aouniat wrote: Might be wrong but I think it's more than 20g. Food companies are no different than any other type of companies. They play tricky games & take advantage of the loopholes in the food regulations.

So for instance, correct me if I am wrong, they would use many types of sweetners in stead of sugar so that they'd get away with the "sugar free" label, or to reduce the amount of sugar listed in the nutritional facts.

In the case of Clif bars, how come it contains 44 carbohydrates while only having 20g sugar? Where are 40 carbs coming from?

Even if actually only contain 20g sugar, that's still equivalent to FIVE teaspoons of sugar in one bar.

May I suggest a cheaper & better alternative? One banana + one boiled egg before workout & you're good to go. Lots of other easy healthier alternatives & they cost a fraction of what these bars offer.
Your knowledge of nutrition is clearly lacking. Not all carbohydrates are sugars. Ever heard of complex carbohydrates? Ever eat oats or other whole grains?

I have bolded the non-sugar carbohydrates in the ingredients of a typical cliff bar:

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Rolled Oats, Soy Protein Isolate, Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Rice Flour, Cane Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Oat Fiber, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, Barley Malt Extract, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Organic Cinnamon, as well as a variety of essential vitamins and minerals

The rolled oats themselves likely contribute 15-20 grams of carbohydrates to the total 44 grams beyond the 20 grams of sugar.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2404 posts
1638 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: These are basically Candy Bars
Energy bars are actually quite easy to make and you know exactly what goes in.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3566 posts
755 upvotes
Brampton
The oatmeal raisin is actually quite good and rare to see in grocery stores here.
At least these are marketed as energy bars, and I have been using them as such for decades now.
The Gatorade "Protein" Bars from Costco have 29g of straight sugar, and taste sweeter than most candy bars.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
8727 posts
12246 upvotes
sidshock wrote: The carbs are sugar.
They are advertising the EXTRA added sugar separately to make it look like only 20ish grams.
The carbs are the TOTAL sugar.
aouniat wrote: Might be wrong but I think it's more than 20g. Food companies are no different than any other type of companies. They play tricky games & take advantage of the loopholes in the food regulations.

Thanks for the info, I obviously wasn't looking at it that way.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4319 posts
1064 upvotes
Hamilton
iflyplanes wrote: Your knowledge of nutrition is clearly lacking. Not all carbohydrates are sugars. Ever heard of complex carbohydrates? Ever eat oats or other whole grains?

I have bolded the non-sugar carbohydrates in the ingredients of a typical cliff bar:

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Rolled Oats, Soy Protein Isolate, Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Rice Flour, Cane Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Organic Soy Flour, Organic Oat Fiber, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, Barley Malt Extract, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Organic Cinnamon, as well as a variety of essential vitamins and minerals

The rolled oats themselves likely contribute 15-20 grams of carbohydrates to the total 44 grams beyond the 20 grams of sugar.

Organic sugar vs refined sugar is still sugar with the same glycemic effect.
Diabetes doesn't see it differently.

Ofcourse th natural sugars are better.
But it's like being shot with a name brand bullet vs a generic one.

Both simple and complex carbohydrates are turned to glucose (blood sugar) in the body and are used as energy. So you better be hitting it hard with this cliff bar or you're doing yourself harm.

Same with too much protein. Mess with your liver.
Moderarion is key.
Turn it up when you're Gunna actually use it is all I'm sayin.
Last edited by sidshock on Oct 15th, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4319 posts
1064 upvotes
Hamilton
IDStorms wrote: Thanks for the info, I obviously wasn't looking at it that way.
Don't worry.
I wasn't aware of what carbs really are and how they fool us until just 2 years ago!
Someone showed me and I read up more.
Before I viewed it just as you.
Apr 7, 2009
333 posts
183 upvotes
toronto
I have these often but yes, they are really just treat bars. They were $7 per box after coupons a couple of months ago so this is a common price.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1783 posts
1391 upvotes
Ottawa
sidshock wrote: Organic sugar vs refined sugar is still sugar with the same glycemic effect.
Diabetes doesn't see it differently.

Ofcourse th natural sugars are better.
But it's like being shot with a name brand bullet vs a generic one.

Both simple and complex carbohydrates are turned to glucose (blood sugar) in the body and are used as energy. So you better be hitting it hard with this cliff bar or you're doing yourself harm.

Same with too much protein. Mess with your liver.
Moderarion is key.
Turn it up when you're Gunna actually use it is all I'm sayin.
Can you read? Nowhere did I argue organic vs inorganic. I'm talking about complex carbohydrates (polysaccharides), not simple sugars (di- and mono-saccharides). Rolled oats, soybeans, rice flour are sources of COMPLEX carbohydrates. These take far longer for your body to digest and thus have a low glycemic index.

I already said Cliff bars are sugary, but that doesn't mean all the carbs in them are sugars.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4319 posts
1064 upvotes
Hamilton
iflyplanes wrote: Can you read? Nowhere did I argue organic vs inorganic. I'm talking about complex carbohydrates (polysaccharides), not simple sugars (di- and mono-saccharides). Rolled oats, soybeans, rice flour has sources of COMPLEX carbohydrates and thus have a low glycemic index. I already said Cliff bars are sugary, but that doesn't mean all the carbs in them are sugars.
That's why I listed NET carbs.
Minusing the huge 4g of fibre.
Complex carbs are still sugar.
Nice (complex - natural / organic sugar) vs simple sugar does work slower . I agree.

Having a very low carb diet daily has now shown to REVERSE diabetes, btw.

Just sayin that this bar is meant for real athletes that need the stim.
Not a desk jockey that needs a quick snack to boost energy to get thru the office day.
Consume accordingly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against carbs.
But when I see 40+ carbs with 4g fibre on a (candy) bar I think that is enough to move on unless I'm seriously going to use it. Runner or training. Athlete. Etc.

If they had say 12-18g carbs with like 2-4g of simple sugar for the same size and 4+ grams of fibre I'd gladly buy a box and chill / normal activity.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3203 posts
1552 upvotes
Mississauga
Was about to buy and saw the sugar quantity. Nope.
I love RFD! :)
Oct 20, 2019
170 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
iflyplanes wrote: Your knowledge of nutrition is clearly lacking. Not all carbohydrates are sugars. Ever heard of complex carbohydrates? Ever eat oats or other whole grains?

Fair enough. I'll stick to my main point then. This bar contains 5 teaspoons of instant sugar, which is arguably bad. As I said, a banana is a great source of "good sugar", and much much cheaper.

As for the deceptive practices, it's based on many examples, but I was referring in particular to some "protein bars" that only advertise their low sugar content without including the sugar alcohols etc...
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1794 posts
299 upvotes
Alberta
If we can ignore the health side of things for a moment, how are the Best Before dates from Amazon?
Aug 23, 2011
566 posts
63 upvotes
WINNIPEG
ITT: sugar is bad for you! Unless you eat this with every meal, you’re ok. Once in a while is fine, moderation is key for anything you eat.