Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] CLIF BAR - Energy Bars - (68 Gram Protein Bars, 12 Count) 9.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 12:17 pm
Sep 27, 2005
745 posts
100 upvotes
aouniat wrote: Fair enough. I'll stick to my main point then. This bar contains 5 teaspoons of instant sugar, which is arguably bad. As I said, a banana is a great source of "good sugar", and much much cheaper.

As for the deceptive practices, it's based on many examples, but I was referring in particular to some "protein bars" that only advertise their low sugar content without including the sugar alcohols etc...
Bananas have a bunch of sugar too. I get you're trying to push the "let's all eat simple good stuff" thing but sugar is sugar, they're in the same ballpark and a protein bar has a longer shelf life and is more resilient in a running / biking pack.
Oct 27, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
I love the replies frm education perspective.

By the way, any other brands you ladies and gents recommend if clif is not your go-to bars? Much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8476 posts
2147 upvotes
jayjaywong wrote: I love the replies frm education perspective.

By the way, any other brands you ladies and gents recommend if clif is not your go-to bars? Much appreciated.
larabars have far fewer ingredients, as few as 3. They too change price constantly on Amazon, from a couple dollars lower then this to quite a bit more https://www.amazon.ca/Larabar-Gluten-Pe ... 72&sr=8-10 That is for 16 compared to 12 for cliff. Dates, peanut butter and peanuts...of course some nutter will be along to say "look at the sugar"

Also like Nakd bars, they are smaller https://www.amazon.ca/N%C4%81kd-Nakd-Co ... 00&sr=8-12
Oct 20, 2019
184 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_saturn wrote: Bananas have a bunch of sugar too. I get you're trying to push the "let's all eat simple good stuff" thing but sugar is sugar, they're in the same ballpark and a protein bar has a longer shelf life and is more resilient in a running / biking pack.
Added sugar is different from natural sugar from a whole fruit.

Our bodies react differently to each, even if it's the same amount of sugar in both.

A sugar bar might not be a big issue for someone who does regular exercise, but my point is that at the end of the day, a whole fruit is healthier, and much cheaper than a candy bar.

" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Oct 27, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: larabars have far fewer ingredients, as few as 3. They too change price constantly on Amazon, from a couple dollars lower then this to quite a bit more https://www.amazon.ca/Larabar-Gluten-Pe ... 72&sr=8-10 That is for 16 compared to 12 for cliff. Dates, peanut butter and peanuts...of course some nutter will be along to say "look at the sugar"

Also like Nakd bars, they are smaller https://www.amazon.ca/N%C4%81kd-Nakd-Co ... 00&sr=8-12
Thank you very much! adding to my cart to watch their prices! Stay healthy my RFD bud!
Dec 14, 2007
550 posts
398 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: RFD thread for unhealthy candy: OMG BUY BUY BUY I'M GONNA EAT THE WHOLE BOX LOL

RFD thread for Clif Bars: DON'T BUT THIS. IT'S BASICALLY AS UNHEALTHY AS CANDY!
Every. Single. Time.
Jun 18, 2015
226 posts
203 upvotes
freewheel wrote: Every. Single. Time.
The reason Clif bars get pushback is because 10g of protein in a bar is worth 40cal which in a 250cal bar means it's only got 16% protein content.

Given 20% is the guideline for daily protein intake for most people (with 25% what most bodybuilder types head towards and endurance athletes dropping back down to 20% since they burn so many more overall calories and there's a limit on what your body can usefully process, meaning endurance athletes don't have to maximise protein intake in the same way), if you're engaged in high output activity a Cliff bar is lowering your protein vs. caloric intake ratio rather than raising it and so calling it a protein bar seems somewhere between misleading and ludicrous.

It's a snickers bar with a little extra protein, and if that's what you want then that's totally fine. I work out a lot and eat stuff with plenty of sugar in it regularly, but I do it knowingly and without having any delusions it's "heathy," and if you buy/eat Clif bars thinking it's boosting your protein intake it's... just not.
Jul 5, 2008
784 posts
488 upvotes
I've gone through a couple of boxes of these in the past year because Costco. I won't be buying any more. I got them for taking on day hikes but eating one slows me down too much as they sit in my gut like a lump of lead.

The one with white choc wasn't bad but the brownie one was tough to eat a whole bar.
Dec 14, 2007
550 posts
398 upvotes
noelwc wrote: The reason Clif bars get pushback is because 10g of protein in a bar is worth 40cal which in a 250cal bar means it's only got 16% protein content.

Given 20% is the guideline for daily protein intake for most people (with 25% what most bodybuilder types head towards and endurance athletes dropping back down to 20% since they burn so many more overall calories and there's a limit on what your body can usefully process, meaning endurance athletes don't have to maximise protein intake in the same way), if you're engaged in high output activity a Cliff bar is lowering your protein vs. caloric intake ratio rather than raising it and so calling it a protein bar seems somewhere between misleading and ludicrous.

It's a snickers bar with a little extra protein, and if that's what you want then that's totally fine. I work out a lot and eat stuff with plenty of sugar in it regularly, but I do it knowingly and without having any delusions it's "heathy," and if you buy/eat Clif bars thinking it's boosting your protein intake it's... just not.
Yawn.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14725 posts
4142 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: RFD thread for unhealthy candy: OMG BUY BUY BUY I'M GONNA EAT THE WHOLE BOX LOL

RFD thread for Clif Bars: DON'T BUT THIS. IT'S BASICALLY AS UNHEALTHY AS CANDY!
Come for the deals, stay for the unsolicited diet advice.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3681 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
These are NOT protein bars. But when you are 100km into your bike ride, and still have to get home, these are great and your body fill flush all the sugar through your sore starving muscles way before you can finish eating it.
Great price on the box.
Sep 5, 2008
614 posts
512 upvotes
Port Moody
carksey wrote: Ultra marathon runners use these.
Ultramarathoners will eat anything that has calories in it... a friend of mine brings cold perogies in his pack. I've seen bacon being offered during races and the infamous Gary Robbins eats Ketchup straight from the bottle. That doesn't even scratch the surface! =P The only thing about these Clif Bars is that they need to be digested... and if your body is in survival mode and blood flow is trying to regulate temperature, they may just sit in your gut for a while and feel terrible. Then on a long race, you know what happens with solid food... eventually ya gotta go. Liquid calories all the way for me!
https://endurancetap.com/blogs/team-tap/gary-robbins

That being said, I ordered 4 or 5 boxes for shorter efforts and fueling for training.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8476 posts
2147 upvotes
Some flavours of cliff are taxed, some are not. Eg chocolate brownie is taxed, chocolate almond fudge is not taxed. Not sure it makes sense, but for the best deal buy not taxed
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
8771 posts
12514 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: Some flavours of cliff are taxed, some are not. Eg chocolate brownie is taxed, chocolate almond fudge is not taxed. Not sure it makes sense, but for the best deal buy not taxed
Hmm, I didn't notice until now.

Now there are eight different varieties! (I purchased the bold ones)

Chocolate Brownie
Cool Mint Chocolate <-Taxed
Chocolate Almond Fudge
Chocolate Chip
Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
Oatmeal Raisin Walnut <-No Tax
Coconut Chocolate Chip
White Chocolate Macadamia <-No Tax