• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 1:02 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2014
187 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon.ca] Club House Pure Vanilla, 46 Milliliters [$5.49]

Currently oos but none-the-less a great price.

Also in stock at Well.ca for the same price.
https://well.ca/products/club-house-pur ... 61132.html
Just need to buy enough of something to avoid shipping charges.

Don't forget your favorite cashback site!
71 replies
May 30, 2006
169 posts
223 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks for this! I've been looking for a reasonable price on pure vanilla for a while. I used to get Costco's but even it is getting crazy expensive. I just finished a 100 Ml bottle of this particular vanilla from Winners. I like the fragrance (it's quite floral) and the flavour is nice.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1902 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
elcheapoh wrote: Why is vanilla so expensive?
A cyclone in Madagascar (the world's top producer) wiped out 1/3rd of their crops last year. It'll be awhile til it dips back to normal unless people accept this as the new norm like PC HDDs. Winking Face

source: MarthaStewart.com
Oct 3, 2014
73 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you want to save even more money for the future, go to the Bulk Barn or other bulk store and buy some vanilla pods. Usually around $5-10 for 2. Slice down the bean and put it in a bottle with Vodka and let infuse for a couple of months. Excellent tasting.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
248 posts
65 upvotes
Interesting
1/3 of crop is destroyed and so the price doubles.
More profit for less work
Jun 14, 2011
290 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
elcheapoh wrote: Why is vanilla so expensive?
A combination of things.

Low price 5 years ago pushed a lot of farmers into more profitable crops cutting the supply.
Recent bad weather has been devastating the Madagascar crops cutting the supply even more.
The current push for healthier more natural options has caused a spike in demand.
Brokers who buy the beans from the farmers and resell to manufacturers are hoarding the supply to raise prices and their profits.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
248 posts
65 upvotes
punkrockdude85 wrote: If you want to save even more money for the future, go to the Bulk Barn or other bulk store and buy some vanilla pods. Usually around $5-10 for 2. Slice down the bean and put it in a bottle with Vodka and let infuse for a couple of months. Excellent tasting.
That might be good tasting vodka
but is it good enough for baking?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8415 posts
6438 upvotes
Kitchener
I remember buying the Costco 473mL bottles for $7.99 a couple years ago, but now they're $38.99 or something stupid. I still have some left and not buying any more until it comes back down.
May 30, 2006
169 posts
223 upvotes
Halifax
punkrockdude85 wrote: If you want to save even more money for the future, go to the Bulk Barn or other bulk store and buy some vanilla pods. Usually around $5-10 for 2. Slice down the bean and put it in a bottle with Vodka and let infuse for a couple of months. Excellent tasting.
I have made homemade vanilla before but I found I needed about 6 - 8 pods for a 750 ml of vodka. That works out to about $30 for beans and $26 for vodka so $56 for 750 ml and this is $70 for 3785ml.
Oct 3, 2014
73 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sandolph wrote: I have made homemade vanilla before but I found I needed about 6 - 8 pods for a 750 ml of vodka. That works out to about $30 for beans and $26 for vodka so $56 for 750 ml and this is $70 for 3785ml.

We have used 1 bean and just left it longer. Bought the Vodka in the States, so around 15$.

I’ve never tried the brand others are linking from Amazon, but the stuff I made tasted damn close to the Costco brand.
Sep 9, 2005
276 posts
64 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
I have yet to try it but if you have a Instant pot making vanilla extract is a breeze.
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
Oct 3, 2014
73 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bel4_20 wrote: I have yet to try it but if you have a Instant pot making vanilla extract is a breeze.
That sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the recipe?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5310 posts
2193 upvotes
West Vancouver
Is it from Madagascar ?