Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5 $1249

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 1:46 pm
Nov 21, 2010
672 posts
185 upvotes
Canada
Really interested in this after watching some videos and reading some benefits of rowing. I need to get into better shape for a variety of reasons but I just can't do the haul to the gym thing since my schedule is tight - usually takes me 30-40 minutes one way because of traffic.

But even after the approx $99 ebates back... after taxes, its still a bit much. CCC shows lower price and a old post from 2013 had it as a lightning deal for 899. Doubt it will get to that price again but maybe a better discount down the road?
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
likebutta wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 5:52 pm
Really interested in this after watching some videos and reading some benefits of rowing. I need to get into better shape for a variety of reasons but I just can't do the haul to the gym thing since my schedule is tight - usually takes me 30-40 minutes one way because of traffic.

But even after the approx $99 ebates back... after taxes, its still a bit much. CCC shows lower price and a old post from 2013 had it as a lightning deal for 899. Doubt it will get to that price again but maybe a better discount down the road?
What's your ultimate goal, to lose weight, recover from an inury or to gain strength?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Nov 21, 2010
672 posts
185 upvotes
Canada
lincoln wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 6:10 pm
What's your ultimate goal, to lose weight, recover from an inury or to gain strength?
Mostly conditioning (cardio, general core strength) but weight too. My knees and ankles also aren't what they used to be so stuff like treadmill and jogging has been a challenge when I've had the opportunity.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1428 posts
184 upvotes
Winnipeg
i've been looking for a rowing machine for a little while, and ended up buying a nordic track rw500 around boxing day this year. ALL the research i did, literally ALL of it says concept 2 is the best rowing machine ever. But despite that, i could never quite figure out why... I mean, build quality and durability is important, but it just seemed like from a personal use situation, you're giving up a lot of features for that industrial durability(that being said, I teach in a town of about 500 households, and the local gym has two model d's and one of them broke, so it's not like they are completely bullet-proof). when every single review site says the same thing, and every single competition in the world uses the same machine, it's worth paying attention. Still, on paper, i couldn't figure out what it had that the competition didn't have

anyway, i decided it wasn't going to matter either way unless i actually used it, and while i've used the concept2 at the gym and it was fine, it's a really boring machine imo. I figured the bells and whistles on the nordic track will probably keep me interested long enough to make a habit of it
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
likebutta wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 7:53 pm
Mostly conditioning (cardio, general core strength) but weight too. My knees and ankles also aren't what they used to be so stuff like treadmill and jogging has been a challenge when I've had the opportunity.
It's all good, I popped my left eardrum by diving too deep in the Red Sea so we're all disadvantaged in some way.

There's a few machines you can invest in. C2, Airdyne. Rogue Echo, elliptical

I own a C2 and a lot of overweight people struggle with it because they can't breath with all their weight in middle section putting pressure on their lungs

If you're skinny, by all means buy a C2. If you're extremely overweight you need to buy an elliptical machine.

You can look up info in my other thread:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy ... 0-2249036/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
@likebutta

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just leaning you towards an elliptical if you are heavy. A vertical position allows you to breath properly. This is going to let you burn more cals

If this is the case, I'd recommend a rear flywheel elliptical like a NordicTrack or ProForm. They're both made by the same company.

At the end of the day though if you're not willing to go outside and walk, cycle or do other physical activities then buying fitness equipment is a waste of money. 75% of people that spend money on these machines are too lazy to actually use them, and eventually they just sell them on Kijiji for a fraction of what they paid.
Last edited by lincoln on Jan 20th, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4117 posts
489 upvotes
Rowing machines aren't actually used for training for (boat) rowing right? It's just that the movement is like (boat) rowing, and great for an upper body workout, and that's why it's used as an exercise machine?

And when they say competitions, they are actually competing on this machine? Why are there competitions on an exercise machine, i mean there aren't competitions on an exercise bike or elliptical or treadmill, why on the rowing machine?
Last edited by fightbriz on Jan 20th, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4117 posts
489 upvotes
lincoln wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 3:22 am
@likebutta

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just leaning you towards an elliptical if you are heavy. A vertical position allows you to breath properly. This is going to let you burn more cals

If this is the case, I'd recommend a rear flywheel elliptical like a NordicTrack
What's the reason for rear flywheel instead?
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
fightbriz wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 3:25 am
What's the reason for rear flywheel instead?
Rear flywheel is more like cross country skiing, a front wheel is like climbing stairs.

The rear flywheel is a much better choice for people that are retired or approaching retirement.
Abraham Lincoln
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
fightbriz wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 3:24 am
Rowing machines aren't actually used for training for (boat) rowing right? It's just that the movement is like (boat) rowing, and great for an upper body workout, and that's why it's used as an exercise machine?

And when they say competitions, they are actually competing on this machine? Why are there competitions on an exercise machine, i mean there aren't competitions on an exercise bike or elliptical or treadmill, why on the rowing machine?
Abraham Lincoln
Oct 12, 2008
588 posts
786 upvotes
Markham
fightbriz wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 3:24 am

There's substantial lower body strength involved (a large part of the power should actually come from your legs) if you're doing it right. People who row actually do erg as well (since the physical requirements to erg well overlap significantly with rowing), even if it isn't the same.

I bought a C2 a few years ago, and even though I use it, I don't use it as much as I would like to. No other machine makes me want to physically puke as much as the rowing machine, after an intense workout.
Aug 25, 2011
28 posts
14 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I have a concept 2 model A , built in 1986. I purchased it 20 years ago at a garage sale. The mechanical speedometer broke - I replaced it with a bicycle computer. The chain has broken twice. You can still order parts for my rower from their website. I use it several times a week and row on the water (single scull) April to November. When I retired, my wife wanted to buy me a brand new machine. I don't need it. These things last a long time. I considered buying a new computer attachment - maybe one day.
A few comments:
This seems like a good price.
The machine really is big - make sure you have the room.
Buy a second hand c2 rather than another less expensive brand if trying to save money.
The comment that it can be difficult to row with a big belly is accurate - I have had one and when I am thinner it makes a big difference.
Get some expert coaching because form is critical if you are doing it everyday. I have over use injuries that can be traced back to poor form. By expert coaching I mean go to a boat club. For example. I took the introductory erg sessions at The Leander Boat Club in Hamilton for $20.
Jun 18, 2005
200 posts
426 upvotes
As mentioned this is regular price and only a deal with 8% ebates.

A heads up for Concept2 beginners: you'll likely get blisters for a while unless you're proactive about it. I work with tools and shit all day and still got them when I started. Buy some chafing balm like Body Glide for the insides of your hands (fingers and opposite your knuckles) and the back of your heels. Tightly laced shoes to prevent sock-on-skin rubbing also helps.

Rowers are awesome. Brutal cardio if you want it and definitely strengthens the back which most people desperately need, whether they realize it or not. Even 5 - 10 minutes a day with proper form is the only thing that fully resolves any bouts of sciatic pain I might get, usually brought on by an extended stretch of couching or slumping over a desk with garbage posture.

Definitely agree on the elliptical recommendation if you've got a sizeable barrel. Even hopping on the rower after a big meal isn't comfortable with your knees driving into your guttyworks at the beginning of each stroke.
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
dingus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:24 am
As mentioned this is regular price and only a deal with 8% ebates.

A heads up for Concept2 beginners: you'll likely get blisters for a while unless you're proactive about it. I work with tools and shit all day and still got them when I started. Buy some chafing balm like Body Glide for the insides of your hands (fingers and opposite your knuckles) and the back of your heels. Tightly laced shoes to prevent sock-on-skin rubbing also helps.

Rowers are awesome. Brutal cardio if you want it and definitely strengthens the back which most people desperately need, whether they realize it or not. Even 5 - 10 minutes a day with proper form is the only thing that fully resolves any bouts of sciatic pain I might get, usually brought on by an extended stretch of couching or slumping over a desk with garbage posture.

Definitely agree on the elliptical recommendation if you've got a sizeable barrel. Even hopping on the rower after a big meal isn't comfortable with your knees driving into your guttyworks at the beginning of each stroke.
Picking up a pair of biking gloves is also a good solution for new users too.

The most important thing about exercise equipment is that you're comfortable using it. If you aren't comfortable or you don't have a TV to entertain you, likely you won't use it much which is why we are recommending the elliptical.
Abraham Lincoln
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2006
7415 posts
1919 upvotes
Washington, DC
407user wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:16 am
I have a concept 2 model A , built in 1986. I purchased it 20 years ago at a garage sale. The mechanical speedometer broke - I replaced it with a bicycle computer. The chain has broken twice. You can still order parts for my rower from their website. I use it several times a week and row on the water (single scull) April to November. When I retired, my wife wanted to buy me a brand new machine. I don't need it. These things last a long time. I considered buying a new computer attachment - maybe one day.
A few comments:
This seems like a good price.
The machine really is big - make sure you have the room.
Buy a second hand c2 rather than another less expensive brand if trying to save money.
The comment that it can be difficult to row with a big belly is accurate - I have had one and when I am thinner it makes a big difference.
Get some expert coaching because form is critical if you are doing it everyday. I have over use injuries that can be traced back to poor form. By expert coaching I mean go to a boat club. For example. I took the introductory erg sessions at The Leander Boat Club in Hamilton for $20.
This is probably the best advice you can have.
C2 is highly recommended for a reason. Replacement parts are cheap and they never break.

Before I bought my C2 PM5 I looked at the used market for 6 months. There are very few sold, and if they are they are barely under retail price. I decided saving $300 wasn't worth the trouble of owning a used/older machine so I just bought it new.

If you're new to rowing just take your time with it. It takes months to build up your muscles. If you are too aggressive at the beginning you'll be extremely sore and you could injure yourself.
Abraham Lincoln