Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5 $1249

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 1:46 pm
Aug 25, 2011
208 posts
279 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I have a concept 2 model A , built in 1986. I purchased it 20 years ago at a garage sale. The mechanical speedometer broke - I replaced it with a bicycle computer. The chain has broken twice. You can still order parts for my rower from their website. I use it several times a week and row on the water (single scull) April to November. When I retired, my wife wanted to buy me a brand new machine. I don't need it. These things last a long time. I considered buying a new computer attachment - maybe one day.
A few comments:
This seems like a good price.
The machine really is big - make sure you have the room.
Buy a second hand c2 rather than another less expensive brand if trying to save money.
The comment that it can be difficult to row with a big belly is accurate - I have had one and when I am thinner it makes a big difference.
Get some expert coaching because form is critical if you are doing it everyday. I have over use injuries that can be traced back to poor form. By expert coaching I mean go to a boat club. For example. I took the introductory erg sessions at The Leander Boat Club in Hamilton for $20.
Jun 18, 2005
379 posts
1441 upvotes
As mentioned this is regular price and only a deal with 8% ebates.

A heads up for Concept2 beginners: you'll likely get blisters for a while unless you're proactive about it. I work with tools and shit all day and still got them when I started. Buy some chafing balm like Body Glide for the insides of your hands (fingers and opposite your knuckles) and the back of your heels. Tightly laced shoes to prevent sock-on-skin rubbing also helps.

Rowers are awesome. Brutal cardio if you want it and definitely strengthens the back which most people desperately need, whether they realize it or not. Even 5 - 10 minutes a day with proper form is the only thing that fully resolves any bouts of sciatic pain I might get, usually brought on by an extended stretch of couching or slumping over a desk with garbage posture.

Definitely agree on the elliptical recommendation if you've got a sizeable barrel. Even hopping on the rower after a big meal isn't comfortable with your knees driving into your guttyworks at the beginning of each stroke.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
dingus wrote: As mentioned this is regular price and only a deal with 8% ebates.

A heads up for Concept2 beginners: you'll likely get blisters for a while unless you're proactive about it. I work with tools and shit all day and still got them when I started. Buy some chafing balm like Body Glide for the insides of your hands (fingers and opposite your knuckles) and the back of your heels. Tightly laced shoes to prevent sock-on-skin rubbing also helps.

Rowers are awesome. Brutal cardio if you want it and definitely strengthens the back which most people desperately need, whether they realize it or not. Even 5 - 10 minutes a day with proper form is the only thing that fully resolves any bouts of sciatic pain I might get, usually brought on by an extended stretch of couching or slumping over a desk with garbage posture.

Definitely agree on the elliptical recommendation if you've got a sizeable barrel. Even hopping on the rower after a big meal isn't comfortable with your knees driving into your guttyworks at the beginning of each stroke.
Picking up a pair of biking gloves is also a good solution for new users too.

The most important thing about exercise equipment is that you're comfortable using it. If you aren't comfortable or you don't have a TV to entertain you, likely you won't use it much which is why we are recommending the elliptical.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
407user wrote: I have a concept 2 model A , built in 1986. I purchased it 20 years ago at a garage sale. The mechanical speedometer broke - I replaced it with a bicycle computer. The chain has broken twice. You can still order parts for my rower from their website. I use it several times a week and row on the water (single scull) April to November. When I retired, my wife wanted to buy me a brand new machine. I don't need it. These things last a long time. I considered buying a new computer attachment - maybe one day.
A few comments:
This seems like a good price.
The machine really is big - make sure you have the room.
Buy a second hand c2 rather than another less expensive brand if trying to save money.
The comment that it can be difficult to row with a big belly is accurate - I have had one and when I am thinner it makes a big difference.
Get some expert coaching because form is critical if you are doing it everyday. I have over use injuries that can be traced back to poor form. By expert coaching I mean go to a boat club. For example. I took the introductory erg sessions at The Leander Boat Club in Hamilton for $20.
This is probably the best advice you can have.
C2 is highly recommended for a reason. Replacement parts are cheap and they never break.

Before I bought my C2 PM5 I looked at the used market for 6 months. There are very few sold, and if they are they are barely under retail price. I decided saving $300 wasn't worth the trouble of owning a used/older machine so I just bought it new.

If you're new to rowing just take your time with it. It takes months to build up your muscles. If you are too aggressive at the beginning you'll be extremely sore and you could injure yourself.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I used to browse the exercise equipment section of kijiji in the GTA pretty regularly. Concept 2 rowers don't sell for that much cheaper used. I think I see them normally around $800. Most other pieces of exercise equipment go for around 80% off retail on kijiji.

These things hold their value very well compared to other pieces of exercise equipment. There will always be a market for a used one. Whereas if you buy a $2000 bowflex, you might have trouble giving it away for free.
Feb 15, 2012
29 posts
14 upvotes
Richibucto Road
lincoln wrote: Picking up a pair of biking gloves is also a good solution for new users too.

The most important thing about exercise equipment is that you're comfortable using it. If you aren't comfortable or you don't have a TV to entertain you, likely you won't use it much which is why we are recommending the elliptical.
Curious as to who 'we' is.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks OP ordered one. To the people saying regular price it's not a bad deal because Amazon has free shipping. RogueCanada has a $150 shipping charge.

This is pretty similar to driving to Buffalo and picking one up, they sell for $900USD but you pay the NY 8% tax (depending where you ship it to) and then a good chance at getting dinged for HST on the return trip.
May 10, 2006
596 posts
274 upvotes
YYC
I've been eyeing this for over a year. Finally bit the bullet with the 8% Ebates on Jan14th but didn't post it as a deal precisely due to some of the reception this thread has been receiving... :rolleyes:
Sep 25, 2017
130 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Bought this in Dec with the ebates.

Awesome piece of cardio equipment.

PM5 detects my Polar H7 without a prob, and I use it with the LiveRow app.

For those who talk about sore butts, I just cut out a foam mat into the shape of the seat and Ive been comfortable since. Before this, I did a 20 min row and my ass was sore. Post mat addition, no more soreness, especially if going over 20 mins.

Great piece of equipment, easy to move around, retains a high resale value, also read they have really good post sales service too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)