Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT- Tenkeyless - Mechanical Keyboard - $79.90

[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
361 posts
156 upvotes
St Catharines

[Amazon Canada] Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT- Tenkeyless - Mechanical Keyboard - $79.90

79.90 appears to be the lowest historical price (per C3) on a well-rated mechanical keyboard.
https://www.amazon.ca/MasterKeys-Tenkey ... 071W2697M/
New, Prime Eligible

Form factor: Tenkeyless (meaning no number pad)
Switches: Genuine Cherry MX Brown (tactile) - switches are a matter of personal preference. Brown switches offer tactile feedback (i.e., a 'bump') when the switch actuates, but no audible feedback (i.e., no 'clickiness'), which some people prefer for typing.
Materials: PBT - usually chosen as a more durable and thick keycap (i.e., resisting wear and shine), and are usually chosen for providing a more satisfying feel and sound.
Backlight/RGB: None
Mobile: Koodo - 8gb 55$ Canada-wide
Internet: Carrytel 60/10 29$
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
15 replies
Apr 13, 2016
289 posts
130 upvotes
Nice if you can live without a numpad (I can't).
Aug 15, 2013
180 posts
49 upvotes
Westmount
Is it suitable for office use? (Not noisy)
Apr 13, 2016
289 posts
130 upvotes
Eithay wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:28 pm
Nope... unless your goal is to annoy your coworkers. It is as loud as MX Blues but without the tactile click.
Jul 15, 2017
128 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Have been using the Pro S in RGB after buying it on sale during boxing day - it's pretty much the same as this. This keyboard is amazing. Using the Cherry MX Brown switches as well, and I'd recommend the Brown switches if you're a first time mechanical keyboard user.

Price is definitely worth it.
Mar 5, 2011
29 posts
6 upvotes
snipzy wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:30 pm
Nope... unless your goal is to annoy your coworkers. It is as loud as MX Blues but without the tactile click.
I'm not sure if you have your switch types mixed up, but browns are a quieter switch than blues. Unless you're bottoming out on your key press, you only hear the tactile click on browns.

It's not silent, but brown switches are noticeably quieter than blues. I've had both.
Feb 13, 2004
797 posts
134 upvotes
Montreal
I use a Das Keyboard with MX Browns at work, added the o-ring dampeners and haven't had a single complaint from co-workers..
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
2903 posts
160 upvotes
Montreal
I have a Silent Ultimate DAS keyboard with MX Blue keys at work, I have a closed office right now but when I was open space and I was using it people are giving some remarks but nothing negative (well I think)
Sometimes I tried to bang less on the keyboard to make less sound.
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
361 posts
156 upvotes
St Catharines
Eithay wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:28 pm
As @m3thods suggested, the sound comes from bottoming out when you type. Bottoming out means pressing the key all the way down until it hits the board, resulting in a 'clack', if you type hard this can be loud. In mechanical keyboards, switch activation typically happens before you bottom out (as in, it registers the press, and types the letter).
Browns are designed to give you subtle tactile feedback (a 'bump') when the switch is actuated,
Blues are designed to give tactile feedback and an audible 'click' (which in my opinion is too loud for an office setting), and
Reds are linear, i.e., have neither of those features, but tends to require less force to actuate (i.e., quicker/easier).
Meaning, with a bit of practice you can type without needing to hammer the keys and bottom out, but if you're a heavy typer you will hear sound as @snipzy mentioned.

As @chimaera15 mentioned O-Rings can be added to each switch (they are literally little round elastics that you can get fairly cheap on amazon or eBay). They serve the purpose of muffling or silencing the bottoming out sound if you happen to be a heavy typer.

Hopefully that clarifies, if not, maybe check out some sound test videos on youtube to hear the difference.
Aug 15, 2013
180 posts
49 upvotes
Westmount
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a keyboard with red switches at home, but wasn't too sure about the more tactile switches.
Jul 20, 2006
996 posts
21 upvotes
Have this in the RGB version that I snagged on a lightning deal for $114 (plus found out there was a 30 dollar mail in rebate). this is a good keyboard with a ton of heft to it. the keys on this one is slightly better. very good deal
owner of Golan Driving School
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
361 posts
156 upvotes
St Catharines
Eithay wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 10:09 am
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a keyboard with red switches at home, but wasn't too sure about the more tactile switches.
No problem, I'm still learning the ins/outs myself! It's all comes down to personal preference and I found it definitely helped to go to Canada Computers (or a local computer store) and try out the real thing (they usually have a few types of switches on display).
Aug 23, 2010
228 posts
212 upvotes
GTA
So tempted to get this but I don't think I should :( Been spending too much lately...

Good price for PBT keycaps + cherry switches and I like the clean look of the keyboard as it doesn't have a weird font on the keys and fancy lights.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3716 posts
883 upvotes
Debtario
My CM Storm with blues is still going strong, otherwise I'd be tempted. Do they still use a soft rubbery coating on the top/sides of the case?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"