[Amazon.ca] Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [159.99$]

[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
141 posts
145 upvotes
Outaouais

[Amazon.ca] Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [159.99$]

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Aircraft-grade anodized brushed aluminum frame, built to withstand a lifetime of gaming
  • 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback allow access to up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software
  • Per-key dynamic multi-color RGB backlighting offers near unlimited color customization and control
  • 100 Percent CHERRY MX mechanical key switches provide the reliability and accuracy you demand
  • USB pass-through port provides convenient access to an additional USB port for your mouse or headset
  • HID Keyboard Report Rate: 1000Hz

MK2 ($159.99) https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Keyboard- ... ar-20&th=1

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Low Profile
  • Experience all-day comfort with low-profile, low travel keys. Cherry MX Low Profile RGB Red mechanical key switches, provide a familiar smooth and linear movement with 1.2mm actuation
  • An all-new slim-line design effortlessly fits into modern desktop setups
  • Aircraft-grade anodized aluminum frame ensures a lifetime of gaming
  • Multi-color RGB per-key backlighting, now brighter than ever thanks to redesigned low profile key switches
  • Intuitive and powerful CORSAIR iCUE software enables vivid dynamic RGB lighting control, sophisticated macro programming and full-system lighting synchronization compatible with CORSAIR components

MK2 Low Profile ($169.99) https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Keyboard- ... ar-20&th=1
5 replies
Sep 26, 2018
997 posts
2352 upvotes
Outrageous original or discounted price for what it offers

-First of all, you'd think at this price point they'd offer something a little better than cherry switches which like I've said in the past, they're not bad but they feed an infinite feedback loop of being popular for the sake of being popular and these brands capitalizing on said popularity and recognizability by the average uninformed consumers out there to push even more of them on the market making them even more popular, etc. That wouldn't even be a big deal except for the mouth breathers out there that confound popularity with quality. You better believe I'm expecting Gateron switches at this price and insanely good keycaps which lead us to problem no 2.
-Not only are the keycaps garbage tier, Corsair, Razer, Logictech and any other company that push this cancerous practice of making non standard rows on their keyboards have decided that you shouldn't be able to buy better keycaps if you felt like it and lock you down to the same cheap keycaps that they use for all of their keyboards and this is a shitty practice that we should avoid until these company cave and adopt the industry standard and stop making non standard rows to luck us down. This alone is an instant non recommendation from me.
-Non removable cable which I also expect to find in this mech at this price there is no excuse.

-Now on to the positive, Solid construction/material unlike a lot of cheap plastic mechs
-Detachable wrist rest. Follow this formula when buying keyboards. 1. Does it have a wrist rest? (No: ok cool), (Yes: ok cool) 2. If yes, is it detachable? (No: fck that), (Yes: ok cool)
-Dedicated media keys and especially volume scroll wheel is a great feature lots of people enjoy and that I miss a lot when I don't have it on a keyboard.

Alternative: For 109$ currently at amazon for brown switches, the Cooler Master CK550 is a great alternative with the best switches on the market (Gaterons). Not the best construction but not the worst either being a mix of plastic and aluminum. Keycaps are decent but most importantly, you're not dealing with the bullshit I mentioned before and actually have a standard bottom row so you can customize them to your heart's content and are not locked with decaying poor keycaps forever. Also I wouldn't normally recommend a mech with a non removable cable, another standard that I think every company should adopt so that the entire keyboard doesn't stop functioning after a cable failure but hey, one step at a time, let's get them to stop making non standard rows first and then move on to removable cables later.
I have spoken
Jun 10, 2016
95 posts
212 upvotes
Couple of thoughts on this keyboard (and some comments on post #3):

1. Unlike what most mechanical keyboard enthusiasts say, I feel like keycaps are fine... I honestly don't get the big hype about replacing keycaps. I've never had any keycaps break on me regardless of quality, and I don't see why anyone would want to replace their keycaps - unless it's about taking a picture of your hipster keyboard and posting it on r/mechanicalkeyboards. Most, if not all OEM keycaps will last the life of your keyboard, and changing the keycaps will not enhance your performance.

2. Cherry MX switches are fine. They last long enough for the life of your keyboard, and honestly, it's about preference. I know people who hate anything but cherry, while others love the feeling of other company switches. It's personal preference - so you should probably test these out in a store before purchasing.

3. Overall quality of K70's seem to be hit and miss. For the price, the QC is quite poor - some boards are inevitably doomed from the start. Mine personally would type the entire row of keys when I pressed "A". Mind you, the issue arose from the logic board, and not the switches.

4. Their RMA process is fine, but not superb as you need to send the keyboards back to California at your cost (you find the courier). However, they do send you a new keyboard which arrives from a local warehouse quite fast.
Oct 27, 2019
235 posts
92 upvotes
I was at Bestbuy last week in the US and seen the white version of this keyboard. I instantly fell in love with it...I was thinking of getting the new Alienware Aw510k in white as well, but now I am considering the white version of K70...but the price on those haven't dropped :(
May 14, 2008
482 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Dude... i’m still using Logitech KB $3 purchased in 2008.
Why over spend on KB....?