• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 9:04 am
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
34 posts
45 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Corsair MP600 Pci 4.0 500GB NVME SSD - All time low

Pci express 4.0 SSD - 500GB

5000MB/s read speed if you have a pci express 4.0 compatible motherboard and cpu.

All time low https://ca.***************.com/product/B07WS1BRX4

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Force-Gen ... 148&sr=8-1
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2017
1083 posts
1451 upvotes
Ontario
Guessing a gen3 m.2 slot won't get those gen4 speeds?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1778 posts
1146 upvotes
Jimbo67 wrote: Guessing a gen3 m.2 slot won't get those gen4 speeds?
It won't, but I wouldn't feel left out -- very few users will notice any difference between the two.
Apr 13, 2010
296 posts
591 upvotes
According to Wikipedia, PCIe 3.0 x4 would be bottlenecked at 4 GB/s minus a small amount of protocol overhead, so it might be a good upgrade regardless, but given the high price, probably not good value if you don't have a specific application that will benefit from the extra speed.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
10711 posts
3129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can wait, thanks OP for the efforts
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24018 posts
30584 upvotes
We're waiting for GPU makers and app developers to make use of ultra-high speed NVMe drives.

The new consoles will drive progress on the gaming side, but Windows 10 needs to get better at taking advantages of those speeds as well.

We're headed towards a merging of co-located memory and computation, something that's beyond my current understanding to explain properly.

Developers should start taking steps in that direction by using Gen 4 NVMe drives more like low-level RAM, secondary to system RAM, and less like conventional SATA HDD storage.

I'm no expert, so if you're an engineer in this area, you'll find room for criticism here.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
How does this compare to Crucial and WD SN750 Black?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2017
1083 posts
1451 upvotes
Ontario
djemzine wrote: How does this compare to Crucial and WD SN750 Black?
Depends on the Crucial and this is gen4, that WD is gen3.
May 30, 2019
27 posts
16 upvotes
I think at this point you should only be filling an available slot with 1TB.

At $255 this is slightly above its lowest price on Boxing Day 2019. At least according to partpicker. Not a bad deal during these times actually but price vs performance you can save money with something else.
Oct 12, 2003
684 posts
172 upvotes
Moose Jaw
Perfect for my next all Corsair/Asus computer.
Oct 20, 2019
702 posts
1455 upvotes
Ottawa
zero64 wrote: It won't, but I wouldn't feel left out -- very few users will notice any difference between the two.
True. This won't make a noticeable difference when booting windows or loading a game, compared to Gen 3 SSDs.
PCIE SSDs are already insanely fast for the casual-moderate user/gamer.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7095 posts
2877 upvotes
GTA
aouniat wrote: True. This won't make a noticeable difference when booting windows or loading a game, compared to Gen 3 SSDs.
PCIE SSDs are already insanely fast for the casual-moderate user/gamer.
This would eventually be entry-mid line for performance for pcie4 (eventually, as more drives will be released, revisions etc). This drive is new and doesn't take advantage of the bandwidth fully, the huge heatsink is a sign of what the cost of higher speeds would be.

Endurance is good on this compared to the evo plus for everyone who is looking to jam this into a pci3.
Apr 1, 2012
234 posts
242 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Great price if this is the drive you want. The reduced write performance vs the 1TB model would have me either wait for a deal on that, or save some money with a different PCIe 3 based 500GB model.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5075 posts
3259 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
redflagdealsguy wrote: We're waiting for GPU makers and app developers to make use of ultra-high speed NVMe drives.

The new consoles will drive progress on the gaming side, but Windows 10 needs to get better at taking advantages of those speeds as well.

We're headed towards a merging of co-located memory and computation, something that's beyond my current understanding to explain properly.

Developers should start taking steps in that direction by using Gen 4 NVMe drives more like low-level RAM, secondary to system RAM, and less like conventional SATA HDD storage.

I'm no expert, so if you're an engineer in this area, you'll find room for criticism here.
I think PC world will just get over console ultra fast storage access by increasing RAM requirement.

32gb will most likely be the new standard and maybe we'll see 64 for some game
May 8, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Only users of workstation, HPC applications will see a real benefit from Gen 4x4 speeds (if it isn't being bottnecked by a slower component).

For gameing a Gen 3 NVMe SSD will be just as good and significantly cheaper

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)