• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 5:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5694 posts
2048 upvotes
GTEH!
mik99 wrote: https://www.costco.ca/.product.1470673.html
Maybe these are a better choice for longevity and value IMO.
Will see if they're available at my local Costco.
Hopefully the price will be cheaper in the Warehouse. Generally, Costco Online prices are a little bit more compared to In-store.
😎
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1235 posts
620 upvotes
My Pokémon Go Plus goes through CR2032 batteries like crazy so I recently got Rechargeable CR2032’s. So far so good and I think I will save so much money in the long run.
Mar 8, 2004
832 posts
356 upvotes
Barrie
I’ve had nothing but great success with the dollarama 3 pack of sunbeam batteries.

I use them in ecobee sensors and garage remotes and they last almost 13 months before the sensors start giving a low battery warning. I feel that’s fair for $1.25 I paid.
Aug 8, 2007
481 posts
319 upvotes
mik99 wrote: https://www.costco.ca/.product.1470673.html
Maybe these are a better choice for longevity and value IMO.
These from Costco look good. No Frills in Toronto has Energizer Lithium for $2 a battery. First one I bought though was under capacity and I had to return it. Was manufactured in 2018, I exchanged for 2019 dated ones. Supposed to last 10 years but found out this doesn’t mean capacity in year 10 is same as year 2 which I didn’t appreciate when buying them.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1565 posts
445 upvotes
Saw them in Burlington for $16.99, which is the same as the online price.
Sep 8, 2004
989 posts
105 upvotes
Been burning through CR2032s with some cork/fairy light strands - Dollarama ones weren't lasting all that long (IMO) so good to see some other options here.
I had seen an even better price at Princess Auto a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to see if they still have them in stock. "Special Buy", seemed to me to be 5 for .88 or something, so probably nothing great, but at least cheaper than Dollarama's. Their website doesn't show anything for .88, though, at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9478 posts
2051 upvotes
Montreal
barto wrote: Been burning through CR2032s with some cork/fairy light strands - Dollarama ones weren't lasting all that long (IMO) so good to see some other options here.
I had seen an even better price at Princess Auto a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to see if they still have them in stock. "Special Buy", seemed to me to be 5 for .88 or something, so probably nothing great, but at least cheaper than Dollarama's. Their website doesn't show anything for .88, though, at the moment.
Aliexpress rechargeable cr2032, get a kit that comes with the charger and batteries thrown in "free". Make sure the plug is usb or U.S. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7234 posts
2027 upvotes
T dot 6
Webhead wrote: I've bought Sony CR2032 from Amazon and they seem to work well:
The first time I bought Sony CR2032 from Ebay they were cheap and lasted long. The second time there were terrible. Not sure if they were fake or old stock. According to the expiry I think they might have been fake.

People here seem to hate on the Dollarama Sunbeam ones but they seem to work well enough for me.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Feb 27, 2003
551 posts
248 upvotes
Langley
whirlwinds wrote: Yes. Cheap batteries not worth it, especially in critical applications. If you have the keyless remote on your car die and you're stuck, that is not fun! Try renata batteries. Very reliable.
I just found out some key fobs are like ~$400. I'd hate to have a cheap button cell leak in a fob.

(can these leak like an AA? I've been told all batteries *can* leak given the right circumstances)
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)

Land Back.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1458 posts
778 upvotes
SW ON
xphile wrote: I just found out some key fobs are like ~$400. I'd hate to have a cheap button cell leak in a fob.

(can these leak like an AA? I've been told all batteries *can* leak given the right circumstances)
These button cells don't leak. They are not alkaline.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5694 posts
2048 upvotes
GTEH!
xphile wrote: I just found out some key fobs are like ~$400. I'd hate to have a cheap button cell leak in a fob.

alpovs wrote: These button cells don't leak. They are not alkaline.
Yes. As the Thread Title states: Lithium
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1327 posts
1801 upvotes
Jaytee wrote:
People here seem to hate on the Dollarama Sunbeam ones but they seem to work well enough for me.
I bought these "cheap" batteries from Dollarama for 3 or $4. They didn't have enough juice to power my key fob and are not returnable at Dollarama. Lesson learned.
Jun 12, 2013
244 posts
265 upvotes
Edmonton
yuprules wrote: With a 75% failure rate in a recent review, you should had just paid $5.05 for ONE energizer CR 2032 that will out last the ENTIRE 20 pack :)

I actually use rechargeable CR 2032 batteries from Aliexpress. You can buy a kit that comes with a charger AND rechargeable CR2032 batteries that can be charged hundreds of times. Search for "coin battery charger" and make sure the plug is USB or says U.S. Plug.

In your experience, how long do the batteries last before needing to be recharged again? This would be very useful to me, but what I need it for is kind of a pain in the ass to swap the battery out so if it's a short amount of usage before needing to be recharged then it might not be for me
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5694 posts
2048 upvotes
GTEH!
Jaytee wrote: The first time I bought Sony CR2032 from Ebay they were cheap and lasted long. The second time there were terrible. Not sure if they were fake or old stock. According to the expiry I think they might have been fake.

6060842 wrote: I bought these "cheap" batteries from Dollarama for 3 or $4. They didn't have enough juice to power my key fob and are not returnable at Dollarama. Lesson learned.
I think ALL brands are hit or miss.

I've used Dollarama, Ikea CR2032 batteries and some were good, some were crap. Quality Control?

For me, Energizer and Sony batteries have been reliable and consistently good.
😎
Feb 27, 2003
551 posts
248 upvotes
Langley
Webhead wrote: Yes. As the Thread Title states: Lithium
I asked a question, you're correct.

just like the person that posted the exact same thing, directly above you, 12 hours before you..

..so..

Go you? :shrug:
Xphile. (as in 'X-files aficionado'..so yeah, I guess I am old..)

Land Back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9478 posts
2051 upvotes
Montreal
timbit01 wrote: In your experience, how long do the batteries last before needing to be recharged again? This would be very useful to me, but what I need it for is kind of a pain in the ass to swap the battery out so if it's a short amount of usage before needing to be recharged then it might not be for me
I have no name rechargeable CR2032 ones from Aliexpress that I got with the charger. They last as long as the Dollarama ones in my Pokémon Go Plus ( a bluetooth device to play Pokémon Go, very high/heavy usage, 2-3 months in this device, again HEAVY drain hence the short life). The black charger has two slots and two UK Prongs, looks like it's going to catch fire at any moment. I suggest the more expensive looking one LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5694 posts
2048 upvotes
GTEH!
Angultra wrote: Fyi those are fakes along with cheap Panasonics, lots on AliExpress as well. Bought some before and package says made in Japan while batteries stamped Indonesia.
You sure they are counterfeit Sony CR2032?

According to this, I have the package with the Blister over the number, it's original (*shrugs*):

https://www.microbattery.com/pub/media/ ... ry-ang.jpg

https://www.microbattery.com/counterfei ... -batteries
😎
Jul 28, 2011
244 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Out of curiosity, I have purchased Duracell 2032 at Costco and these cheap LiCB batteries on Amazon. I have decided to test both batteries in order to compare the value as I was interested to know where to invest.

duracel-costco.jpg
licb-amazon.png

Here is some basic info:

Duracell
Price: $1.41 per battery
Expiry: 2030

LiCB
Price: $0.25 per battery
Expiry: 2022

Testing
For testing, I wrote a small Arduino program to log the time and voltage of both batteries every 30 minutes. The information was saved on the SD card and then imported into Google Sheets. The test lasted 53 hours but after 25 hours I already got enough data. To simulate real-world scenario as close as possible, I put a small load (2 LEDs) on each battery which provided around 10mA load. The cut-off voltage for this test was 2V. When the battery drops below 2V under 10mA load I would consider it dead.

testing.jpg

Conclusion
The Duracell battery reached 2V after 26 hours, while the LiCB battery lasted only 12 hours. In this scenario, Duracell easily outlasted LiCB but I would still go for LiCB battery for non-essential devices. For example, my smart home door sensors use extremely low power and LiCB would last for long enough to justify 5.6 times price difference. When the battery is low, the sensor would notify me and it takes less than a minute to replace it. For devices like the bicycle light, I would probably go with Duracell as those batteries had higher voltage from the start and would provide brighter light for a longer time, which is important for safety. FYI: In many cases, these batteries would work even below 2V as some devices don't use much juice. Also, keep in mind that LiCB batteries had a short expiry date and that newer batteries could potentially last significantly longer.

That's it from me. Take a look at the chart below. I hope this would help you make your own conclusion. If you are interested I might test other batteries as well.

duracel-licb.png
Images
  • duracel-licb.png
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8422 posts
3609 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
yuprules wrote: With a 75% failure rate in a recent review, you should had just paid $5.05 for ONE energizer CR 2032 that will out last the ENTIRE 20 pack :)

I actually use rechargeable CR 2032 batteries from Aliexpress. You can buy a kit that comes with a charger AND rechargeable CR2032 batteries that can be charged hundreds of times. Search for "coin battery charger" and make sure the plug is USB or says U.S. Plug.
I think technically those aren't CR2032 anymore, they're LIR2032. Chemistry, discharge characteristics and most importantly voltage are different (3V vs 3.6V), so they might not be drop-in replacements.