Cricut Maker as low as $339

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 12:15 pm
[OP]
Apr 28, 2011
342 posts
290 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Cricut Maker as low as $339

I picked up the Cricut Explore Air 2 last week but this one seems like a deal too for the Maker which is a step up.

Champagne is the best price.

Champagne $339.82
https://www.amazon.ca/Cricut-2003925-Ma ... th=1&psc=1

Blue $364.94
https://www.amazon.ca/CRICUT-INC-PROVO- ... th=1&psc=1
19 replies
Jun 18, 2013
15 posts
10 upvotes
Delta
Awesome deal, now to keep the air 2 or sell it, either way this purchase will pay itself off within a month or two
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7495 posts
4101 upvotes
Toronto
ajlehman wrote: Awesome deal, now to keep the air 2 or sell it, either way this purchase will pay itself off within a month or two
What do you do?
Aug 6, 2019
212 posts
155 upvotes
berta
so is this like a little cnc machine?
not food
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2907 posts
2730 upvotes
North York
Whats the main difference between this and the Air 2?
Jul 14, 2021
67 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
my nerd self thought this is a PCB printing machine lol
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1365 posts
2085 upvotes
Hammonds
MrKing1993 wrote: my nerd self thought this is a PCB printing machine lol

If you can do a UV stencil or uv coated clad it should work. Not sure on sodium persulfate or ferric chloride + vinyl. May work but i'm doubtful.

True pcb machines are expensive to do it all. Vacuum tables, leveling sensors, micro milling tips, silk screen, vias... Unless you need rapid prototype or question security use someone like pcbway. They can do multi layer pretty cheap and fast. $340 is a lot of mailed boards
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2663 posts
1939 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Oops. Probably would have grabbed this if I hadn't snagged the Explore Air 2 and trashed the box.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2907 posts
2730 upvotes
North York
Ya that chart isnt very helpful.

Anyways based on my research, the Maker can cut more than double the amount of materials due to higher cutting force of 4000g instead of 400g, so literally 10x stronger.

Its also has auto material adjustment instead of the knob thats on the Air 2.

So in conclusions, if you want to cut fabric without a backing, get the Maker, if you want to cut thin pieces of wood, get the maker. If you want to future proof yourself for other materials, get the Maker.
Aug 27, 2006
788 posts
359 upvotes
Delta
Whelp, processed the exchanged for the Explore Air 2 and ordered the Maker.

It is a premium for the Maker, even at this price at almost double, but I'd hate to be down the road and want to try something with a thicker material and be unable to (one thing I want to try is making board game inserts with either foam or balsa wood). At he very least opinions seems to be consistent that the additional power of this unit allows for faster and cleaner cuts of the everything the Explore Air does.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Nov 24, 2013
249 posts
179 upvotes
Burnaby
Don't know much about this product but from the reviews and questions it sounds like this thing needs to be connected to their servers, there's a limit to the number of uploads you can do, and there's a subscription to bypass the limits. Doesn't sound like a product worth supporting unless you need it badly
Nov 6, 2020
12 posts
8 upvotes
Luckily the Explore Air 2 has been enough for me. The software I must say - has been annoying to work with (Specifically Print then Cut). All I use is personal uploads + on simple papers/ vinyl. I've been using it for sticker cutting with help from photoshop, but I had to make many back and forth files/layers in order to cut specific areas while being able to print the whole thing accurately. You can't edit where you want the image to be cut on the design space so I have to have my transparent image ready on photoshop to be uploaded. You could also blame that I'm still learning.

If they reversed the unlimited upload gimmick, I wouldn't have bought anything Cricut. (They say they're pulling that plan for current and future users - end of 2021)
I think it'd suck to be limited to Cricut's space for all the text/img/projects and have to pay a subscription on top of the already pricy machine.
If you're good with devices, y'all would be better off using an editing software and getting those things elsewhere or making your own (Adobe /Clip Studio/ GIMP/ Affinity or even Procreate).
Nov 23, 2017
382 posts
340 upvotes
There’s a new Cricut out, Maker 3. Uses smart materials or something. FYI for those looking for a future proof cricut this may not be the way.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1222 posts
651 upvotes
ryan0462 wrote: There’s a new Cricut out, Maker 3. Uses smart materials or something. FYI for those looking for a future proof cricut this may not be the way.
It cost about $500 - $600
Jul 16, 2021
429 posts
689 upvotes
trini_2_d_bone wrote: It cost about $500 - $600
i bought it for 430 last week the cricut maker 3.. still waiting for shipping but if you can wait im sure there willb e more deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3359 posts
2916 upvotes
GVRD
I sent the Air 2 back and ordered this @ 339, wife wants to use it with fabric and the maker is the model to go.