Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - $114.99

66 replies
Newbie
Apr 17, 2020
74 posts
113 upvotes
Good deal. One of the best SATA drives still available. Well known for its consistent 300 MB/s plus read and write from empty to full. Great for additional internal storage/game drive . Better yet, buy an enclosure and get yourself a great external SSD. I always think a MX500 in an enclosure is the best external SSD you can have for the price for a good margin.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Umrmp3 wrote: Good deal. One of the best SATA drives still available. Well known for its consistent 300 MB/s plus read and write from empty to full. Great for additional internal storage/game drive . Better yet, buy an enclosure and get yourself a great external SSD. I always think a MX500 in an enclosure is the best external SSD you can have for the price for a good margin.
Would this be a good drive for Windows 10 OS drive?
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2019
663 posts
394 upvotes
Montreal
iverson wrote: Would this be a good drive for Windows 10 OS drive?
This will do fine for OS, but if you want faster speeds you should look for NVMe drives.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
crazyb0y wrote: This will do fine for OS, but if you want faster speeds you should look for NVMe drives.
My mobo do not support NVMe.
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2010
523 posts
532 upvotes
Do you need any other cables to connect the SSD to the mobo? or does it come with everything?

If not, any recommendations from Amazon?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2423 posts
5301 upvotes
Vancouver
crazyb0y wrote: This will do fine for OS, but if you want faster speeds you should look for NVMe drives.
Faster speeds that you'll never notice in real world usage yeah
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2015
680 posts
539 upvotes
Halton, ON
Quick tip - Don't buy this if you plan on using these in Unraid server. Just sayin' learned this the hard way myself.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2423 posts
5301 upvotes
Vancouver
ninja_warrior wrote: Do you need any other cables to connect the SSD to the mobo? or does it come with everything?

If not, any recommendations from Amazon?

Thanks
Nope, I don't think most SSDs like this come with any cables
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23638 posts
29680 upvotes
rogersvictim2015 wrote: Quick tip - Don't buy this if you plan on using these in Unraid server. Just sayin' learned this the hard way myself.
I think that's an automatic assumption unless proven otherwise.

Great deal, OP.
.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2015
680 posts
539 upvotes
Halton, ON
redflagdealsguy wrote: I think that's an automatic assumption unless proven otherwise.

Great deal, OP.
We never know, people might not know or may forget looking at a hot deal. Just wanted to remind. :)
Newbie
Apr 17, 2020
74 posts
113 upvotes
iverson wrote: Would this be a good drive for Windows 10 OS drive?
Yes, that is exactly how I use one of them. I have 2 1TB. 1 2.5 and 1 M.2
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1454 posts
2988 upvotes
danascully wrote: Faster speeds that you'll never notice in real world usage yeah
I notice significant difference between my nvme and my sata drive. It isnt that the sata is slow, it is that nvme is so freaking fast. Cold start up is 2 seconds, restarts 4 seconds...versus the 10-15 seconds of sata

Sure the seconds doesnt mathematically make a big difference, but during use you get so used to everything legitimately being INSTANTANEOUS that with the prices nowadays, I will 100% recommend nvme if your mobo supports it, in the end it is $20 30 difference

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YFFX5MD/ref ... 8G6Q?psc=1
Last edited by sushibucket on Jun 19th, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7229 upvotes
iverson wrote: My mobo do not support NVMe.
You have a motherboard that doesn't even have a PCIe slot? (I'm saying, you can go with PCIe adapter if your motherboard doesn't have m.2)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2423 posts
5301 upvotes
Vancouver
UWOD2020 wrote: I notice significant difference between my nvme and my sata drive. It isnt that the sata is slow, it is that nvme is so freaking fast. Cold start up is 2 seconds, restarts 4 seconds...versus the 10-15 seconds of sata

Sure the seconds doesnt mathematically make a big difference, but during use you get so used to everything legitimately being INSTANTANEOUS that with the prices nowadays, I will 100% recommend nvme if your mobo supports it, in the end it is $20 30 difference

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YFFX5MD/ref ... 8G6Q?psc=1
$20-$30 is not worth the 2 times i reboot my computer per year

There is no practical difference during desktop use on a sata SSD vs NVME
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chatbox wrote: You have a motherboard that doesn't even have a PCIe slot? (I'm saying, you can go with PCIe adapter if your motherboard doesn't have m.2)
Yes it has spare PCI Express slot. Will it be a noticeably faster than this SSD? I'm currently using a WD Black hard drive.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1454 posts
2988 upvotes
danascully wrote: $20-$30 is not worth the 2 times i reboot my computer per year

There is no practical difference during desktop use on a sata SSD vs NVME
Whatever you like to believe 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7003 posts
2047 upvotes
Richmond Hill
crazyb0y wrote: This will do fine for OS, but if you want faster speeds you should look for NVMe drives.
i just bought a new comp that came with a SN550 and compared to my old comp with a MX500, the difference wasn't significant.

Top