Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD...now $69.99 !!! And 1TB for $123.47

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2021 3:49 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2008
262 posts
1051 upvotes
Metrotown / Burnaby …

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD...now $69.99 !!! And 1TB for $123.47

ok so the Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 SSD, is on sale on Amazon now for $69.99.
I.e. same as Newegg but without hustles...

This is the lowest price. It was down to pretty much the same back in January. i.e. $69.70

Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-MX500-500 ... 0784SLQM6/

Also the 1TB is on sale as well for $123.47. (But Not the lowest price. The lowest was in Jan ~$114.99)
Link: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078211KBB
Thread Summary
See how the Crucial MX500 compares to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best SSDs for your devices!
37 replies
Mar 8, 2017
189 posts
376 upvotes
WD blue is on sale too for about the same price.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2516 posts
1455 upvotes
SW ON
So, which one is better? The OP or WD?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1775 posts
1662 upvotes
Toronto
Is it worth it to buy this over a similar M.2 NVME?
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Mar 8, 2017
189 posts
376 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote: Is it worth it to buy this over a similar M.2 NVME?
Most people won't notice a difference between a SATA and NVME in term of speed unless you're working with large files. If you're just playing game, the difference in loading games is just a few seconds.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19296 posts
22266 upvotes
dalex100 wrote: Most people won't notice a difference between a SATA and NVME in term of speed unless you're working with large files. If you're just playing game, the difference in loading games is just a few seconds.
That's increasingly debateable in 2021, you start to notice the difference in more and more things with a SATA.

Is it critical? Not really, SATA is still light years better than Flintstone Spinning Rust HDDs.
Nov 5, 2014
306 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I purchase the MX500 and use Acronis to clone, will my Microsoft office licenses transfer over? I really don't want to have to activate a new subscription, I'm using the on prem version.

I also want to upgrade my ram, do I need to get proprietary RAM depending on which SSD I get?

I've got a Dell Inspiron 15R-5521
Feb 17, 2018
118 posts
107 upvotes
jm0287 wrote: If I purchase the MX500 and use Acronis to clone, will my Microsoft office licenses transfer over? I really don't want to have to activate a new subscription, I'm using the on prem version.

I also want to upgrade my ram, do I need to get proprietary RAM depending on which SSD I get?

I've got a Dell Inspiron 15R-5521
Yes. MS are pretty good about upgrades, at least with a fresh install. I haven't cloned a drive. If it doesn't automatically work just call them - in my experience they fix it over the phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4924 posts
2301 upvotes
Markham
dalex100 wrote: Most people won't notice a difference between a SATA and NVME in term of speed unless you're working with large files. If you're just playing game, the difference in loading games is just a few seconds.
that's not really answering the question.

Why wouldn't you buy m.2 nvme if it's similar price and have a free slot. The price premium is near negligible depending on the model.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5585 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
xjesterxx wrote: Is it worth it to buy this over a similar M.2 NVME?
No unless you want the drive to be more compatible with other systems / older systems.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2622 posts
1104 upvotes
MARKHAM
The difference is quite huge if you ask me. With m.2, I won't need 2 cables running through the case.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1877 posts
892 upvotes
I have a dozen of these drives in numerous systems, rock solid. Mind you it has DRAM (which WD Blue doesn't) and crucial warranty!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1215 posts
484 upvotes
Brandon
I have a Lenovo Y540 laptop I bought Black Friday 2019. It had 2 drives, a 512gb NVME drive and a 1 TB HDD. I upgraded the NVME to 1tb Samsung 970. Now I use the HDD for storage. Would I benefit to upgrade that HDD to a 1 TB SATA SSD?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2516 posts
1455 upvotes
SW ON
alpovs wrote: So, which one is better? The OP or WD?
I think this is the answer:
anabioz wrote: I have a dozen of these drives in numerous systems, rock solid. Mind you it has DRAM (which WD Blue doesn't) and crucial warranty!
EDIT: Wait a second. Several Q&A and reviews claim that WD Blue does have DRAM. So, does it or doesn't?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2422 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
dboyman5 wrote: I have a Lenovo Y540 laptop I bought Black Friday 2019. It had 2 drives, a 512gb NVME drive and a 1 TB HDD. I upgraded the NVME to 1tb Samsung 970. Now I use the HDD for storage. Would I benefit to upgrade that HDD to a 1 TB SATA SSD?
Depends. What are you putting on the original 1 TB HDD? If it's just like storage for like music, movies, etc then I don't think it's worth it unless you really want to spend $130. Also, if you do upgrade make sure you have a back up of whatever is important. If the SSD ever dies then you're not recovering anything from it. You can use the original 1TB HDD and use it as a back up drive. Just throw it into an external case.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5440 posts
3544 upvotes
Toronto
anabioz wrote: I have a dozen of these drives in numerous systems, rock solid. Mind you it has DRAM (which WD Blue doesn't) and crucial warranty!
alpovs wrote: I think this is the answer:

EDIT: Wait a second. Several Q&A and reviews claim that WD Blue does have DRAM. So, does it or doesn't?
The WD Blue 3D NAND absolutely has DRAM. It's the SN550 that doesn't. Though the SN550 will still outperform it and the MX500 in most tasks simply because it is not bottlenecked by SATA.

As for which is better, there are some reports of write amplification issues on the MX500 (basically wearing out the SSD faster than normal) that could affect write heavy workloads, but I don't think it's a huge concern for most since most never come remotely close to wearing an SSD out, the WD Blue is a slightly poorer performer otherwise. Ultimately, I don't think most users would notice the difference between the two.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5440 posts
3544 upvotes
Toronto
evoviii wrote: that's not really answering the question.

Why wouldn't you buy m.2 nvme if it's similar price and have a free slot. The price premium is near negligible depending on the model.
One place where I still prefer SATA to NVMe is external enclosures. NVMe enclosures are more expensive and the drives produce more heat. Also, given the cost of Thunderbolt enclosures, most people are going to opt for a USB C enclosure and those cap at 10Gbps anyways. Yes that's faster than SATA's 6Gbps but the extra cost and stress on the drives due to poorer thermals make me lean SATA when the performance gap isn't huge.