Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $79.99 + Free shipping

[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
481 posts
397 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $79.99 + Free shipping

From the previous thread about this deal (by @Temporel):

This SSD has DRAM and a 5 year warranty.

Another advantage of the MX500 series is the Integrated Power Loss Immunity that preserves your data if the power unexpectedly gets cut.

From this reddit thread:

"They have [large capacitors] on board, and in the NAND chips themselves, so that the SSD has time to detect that voltage to it is falling, write whatever it is in the middle of writing, and shut down, with no corruption resulting. Whereas, other SSDs (and HDDs) will do who-knows-what, and then try to roll their state back by some amount of seconds, instead. They all try to prevent the worst problems, but many of them just up and stop doing anything, then pick up the pieces on the next startup, rolling back to previous state."

Previous RFD thread from two weeks ago.
Last edited by tivo_box on Sep 25th, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30637 posts
1548 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Just hope they don't ship it in an envelope and it comes in pieces. Gotten so many packages from Amazon over the past few months that have arrived like that. And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
Excellent SSD at an excellent price. Definitely a buy if you're in the market right now and can't wait for the BF/CM sales in November.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5989 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
hagbard wrote: And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
Where do you live?
I'm in Cornwall, Ontario and if I order that drive now, at 6:40pm it gets delivered the next day.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9649 posts
1155 upvotes
GTA
Thanks. Ordered one.

For the person concerned about packaging looks like you can select "frustration free" packaging or standard Amazon packaging.

I also have it set for prime delivery, tomorrow . I am in GTA.
Oct 24, 2010
236 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
I paid 85.99+tax for this in Nov 2018... I feel like better deals are right around the corner... But aren't they always. Not a bad buy.
Oct 10, 2016
104 posts
67 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: There is nothing wrong or special about the Barracuda but given the great track record of the MX500, I find it easier to recommend it over the Seagate.
Got it thanks! Its just that at staples you can get barracuda 79 - 10. That is why I got curious
May 13, 2014
532 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is this the MLC drive? Or is that the BX?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4787 posts
2701 upvotes
Toronto
simonasimona wrote: Got it thanks! Its just that at staples you can get barracuda 79 - 10. That is why I got curious
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, well reviewed, high end components. I doubt you'll notice much of a difference. I just can't vouch that it'll be as reliable as an MX500 but SSD failure is pretty rare as is.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4787 posts
2701 upvotes
Toronto
Raident wrote: Is this the MLC drive? Or is that the BX?
None of them are MLC. This isn't something I'd worry about though. This is a better drive than the BX500.
Apr 28, 2010
291 posts
260 upvotes
Terrace
At this price point, which one would be a better option for Macbook Pro? This SSD or NVME?

I am about to replace the hard drive in my 2015 Macbook pro. Hoping some tech savvy person could help me out!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3025 posts
4092 upvotes
Langley, BC
hagbard wrote: Just hope they don't ship it in an envelope and it comes in pieces. Gotten so many packages from Amazon over the past few months that have arrived like that. And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
You must live in the middle of nowhere

Also. You brought up prime and slow shipping :(