Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $79.99 + Free shipping

[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
529 posts
459 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $79.99 + Free shipping

From the previous thread about this deal (by @Temporel):

This SSD has DRAM and a 5 year warranty.

Another advantage of the MX500 series is the Integrated Power Loss Immunity that preserves your data if the power unexpectedly gets cut.

From this reddit thread:

"They have [large capacitors] on board, and in the NAND chips themselves, so that the SSD has time to detect that voltage to it is falling, write whatever it is in the middle of writing, and shut down, with no corruption resulting. Whereas, other SSDs (and HDDs) will do who-knows-what, and then try to roll their state back by some amount of seconds, instead. They all try to prevent the worst problems, but many of them just up and stop doing anything, then pick up the pieces on the next startup, rolling back to previous state."

Previous RFD thread from two weeks ago.
Last edited by tivo_box on Sep 25th, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31269 posts
1976 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Just hope they don't ship it in an envelope and it comes in pieces. Gotten so many packages from Amazon over the past few months that have arrived like that. And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2132 posts
851 upvotes
Excellent SSD at an excellent price. Definitely a buy if you're in the market right now and can't wait for the BF/CM sales in November.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6697 posts
1337 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
hagbard wrote: And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
Where do you live?
I'm in Cornwall, Ontario and if I order that drive now, at 6:40pm it gets delivered the next day.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9780 posts
1272 upvotes
GTA
Thanks. Ordered one.

For the person concerned about packaging looks like you can select "frustration free" packaging or standard Amazon packaging.

I also have it set for prime delivery, tomorrow . I am in GTA.
Oct 24, 2010
507 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
I paid 85.99+tax for this in Nov 2018... I feel like better deals are right around the corner... But aren't they always. Not a bad buy.
Oct 10, 2016
136 posts
94 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: There is nothing wrong or special about the Barracuda but given the great track record of the MX500, I find it easier to recommend it over the Seagate.
Got it thanks! Its just that at staples you can get barracuda 79 - 10. That is why I got curious
May 13, 2014
616 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver
Is this the MLC drive? Or is that the BX?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
simonasimona wrote: Got it thanks! Its just that at staples you can get barracuda 79 - 10. That is why I got curious
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, well reviewed, high end components. I doubt you'll notice much of a difference. I just can't vouch that it'll be as reliable as an MX500 but SSD failure is pretty rare as is.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
Raident wrote: Is this the MLC drive? Or is that the BX?
None of them are MLC. This isn't something I'd worry about though. This is a better drive than the BX500.
Apr 28, 2010
407 posts
484 upvotes
Terrace
At this price point, which one would be a better option for Macbook Pro? This SSD or NVME?

I am about to replace the hard drive in my 2015 Macbook pro. Hoping some tech savvy person could help me out!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3527 posts
5307 upvotes
Langley, BC
hagbard wrote: Just hope they don't ship it in an envelope and it comes in pieces. Gotten so many packages from Amazon over the past few months that have arrived like that. And I won't even bring up Prime and their slow shipping.
You must live in the middle of nowhere

Also. You brought up prime and slow shipping :(
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2549 posts
1273 upvotes
heero78 wrote: At this price point, which one would be a better option for Macbook Pro? This SSD or NVME?

I am about to replace the hard drive in my 2015 Macbook pro. Hoping some tech savvy person could help me out!
I am pretty sure all 2015 models have proprietary SSDs and your only option is to look at OWC SSDs. What is the model number? Simply google change SSD with that model number.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Aug 17, 2012
500 posts
407 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Cheap SATA SSD, but at this point you should be looking at NVME m.2 now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6655 posts
1602 upvotes
VillageIdiot wrote: Cheap SATA SSD, but at this point you should be looking at NVME m.2 now.
Thinking of getting this purely installing games on and keeping my m2 just for windows and files

Only $10 off?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7127 posts
12024 upvotes
Montreal
VillageIdiot wrote: Cheap SATA SSD, but at this point you should be looking at NVME m.2 now.
Not every computer can handle NVMe plus benchmarks have shown only a 5% improvement in daily tasks with an NVMe.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6782 posts
2566 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: Not every computer can handle NVMe plus benchmarks have shown only a 5% improvement in daily tasks with an NVMe.
This isn't true.

Your computer has to support all of the bandwidth and then e.g the all around best performer wd sn750 can outperform this drive very easily in all everyday tasks - beyond the benchmarks. Booting of windows, starting of applications like photoshop or any other io heavy applications.

This is a great drive and has been a great drive but now the nvme's price point has come down far enough that if you have a newer machine you should be looking at that.