Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $87 Free shipping

[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Crucial MX500 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD $87 Free shipping

Not the lowest price ever but nice price considering the current price spike on a great SSD.

This one, contrary to the 1TB WD Green of earlier today, has DRAM and much better performance.

Another advantage of the MX500 series is the Integrated Power Loss Immunity that preserves your data if the power unexpectedly gets cut.

From this reddit thread:

"They have [large capacitors] on board, and in the NAND chips themselves, so that the SSD has time to detect that voltage to it is falling, write whatever it is in the middle of writing, and shut down, with no corruption resulting. Whereas, other SSDs (and HDDs) will do who-knows-what, and then try to roll their state back by some amount of seconds, instead. They all try to prevent the worst problems, but many of them just up and stop doing anything, then pick up the pieces on the next startup, rolling back to previous state."
78 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3716 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto
This is the Samsung Evo SSD from Staples $89.99
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16788 posts
3306 upvotes
GTA
i'm gonna wait for <$74.95
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
actng wrote: i'm gonna wait for <$74.95
That was the lowest price ever according to the camels.
That was last December, pre-pandemic and before a spike in NAND prices.
So you might have to wait a long time before we see that price again.
Images
  • Screenshot (1346).png
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1405 posts
543 upvotes
London Area
Thanks OP! Solid deal these days.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
Temporel wrote: That was the lowest price ever according to the camels.
I'm with actng ... These are for upgrades to older builds, IMO you only need 250GB w/ DRAM for boot drive ... DRAMLESS for DATA Drive ...
All new builds should get NVMe ... 5x faster ...
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16788 posts
3306 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: That was the lowest price ever according to the camels.
i'm not in a rush and both thanksgivings are not far away and soon after that is boxing day. there is prime day in there somewhere.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16788 posts
3306 upvotes
GTA
frugal69 wrote: I'm with actng ... These are for upgrades to older builds, IMO you only need 250GB w/ DRAM for boot drive ... DRAMLESS for DATA Drive ...
All new builds should get NVMe ... 5x faster ...
that's exactly what i'm using these SSDs for...
got 4 or 5 of those i5-3470 desktops
a x220 thinkpad
and an old Q6600 w/ a broken something that i gotta get around to replacing
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
frugal69 wrote: )...) IMO you only need 250GB w/ DRAM for boot drive ... (...)
Then $61 for the 250 GB version. A cheap way to give new life to an old laptop.
actng wrote: i'm not in a rush and both thanksgivings are not far away and soon after that is boxing day. there is prime day in there somewhere.
Prime Day will be in October.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23407 posts
5381 upvotes
Toronto
Good dealio, Crucial MX ssds are my go-to Ssds.

I used to prefer Samsung Pro ssds but too cheap now..... Lol

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Nov 25, 2013
367 posts
354 upvotes
Hoth
Do you guys think this would be an excellent add on drive to the future ps5 if I got an enclosure? Thx
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1230 posts
511 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Temporel wrote:
considering the current price spike on a great SSD.
YUP!!! I got a fairly positively reviewed Silicon Power 512GB SSD for CDN$ 55.24 back in the day when it was looking like it was gonna be SSD heaven from then on.

It's actually CDN$ 65.99 tonight on amazon.ca
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3830 upvotes
Toronto
xwingman72 wrote: Do you guys think this would be an excellent add on drive to the future ps5 if I got an enclosure? Thx
I'd hold out on actual news on what will work with a PS5 before you start buying add-ons for it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
xwingman72 wrote: Do you guys think this would be an excellent add on drive to the future ps5 if I got an enclosure? Thx
The Crucial MX line is a top performing series from a top tier manufacturer. But buying computer parts in advance of need is almost always a bad idea because prices are generally going down and performances are improving. Only buy if you need it NOW for something else.
reggielist wrote: YUP!!! I got a fairly positively reviewed Silicon Power 512GB SSD for CDN$ 55.24 back in the day when it was looking like it was gonna be SSD heaven from then on. It's actually CDN$ 65.99 tonight on amazon.ca
And further more, when compared to the Crucial, the Silicon Power is DRAMless...
Apr 7, 2015
735 posts
688 upvotes
Vancouver Island
The random 4k read speeds on the MX500, which are arguably the most important specs for the vast majority of users, handily beat many NVME drives, including the PCIe 4.0 Sabrent Rocket, and is about 2% slower than the WD Black SN750.

There's very little reason to choose a bottom tier NVME drive over the MX500, which is top tier SATA. If your day-to-day usage involves moving very large files, go NVME. If it doesn't, just pick whatever drive you can afford that's got good random 4k reads, good warranty, and a good price.

That said, this isn't a good price. This is nudging into mid-tier NVME pricing, and you may as well just get an NVME drive at that point.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
There's a large % of computers out there that do NOT support NVMe. For those, the SATA/NVMe price/speed comparison is a non-starter.
Jul 22, 2020
22 posts
16 upvotes
I did a lot of research before building my PC, I mulled over this for quite a while: NVME VS SSD.
Long story short I learned that the difference between a SATA and NVME drive is almost negligible / imperceptible for most users. If you consistently work with large files like raw 4k video, a NVME drive might benefit you, but for all other uses a SATA will be just as good as the NVME.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1999 posts
521 upvotes
m4r 1k8
truthfully its very hard to tell the difference between ssd and nvme ... speed wise ... at least in current world gaming / applications i couldnt notice the difference and thats using vmware / csgo / cod mw

that being said i picked up an adata sx8800 500gb nvme for $89.99 a week ago so this is stone cold deal
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
17047 posts
4560 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Then $61 for the 250 GB version. A cheap way to give new life to an old laptop.

Prime Day will be in October.
Will this boost the old netbook like 8-10 yrs ago with 1G or 2G RAM?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)