[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
62 posts
203 upvotes
Stittsville, ON

[Amazon.ca] Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD $93.99

Capacity: Up to 2TB with sequential reads or writes up to 2400MB/s/1900MB/s
NVMe PCIe interface, marking the next step in storage innovation
Includes SSD management software for performance optimization, data security, and firmware updates
Backed by a limited 5-year warranty or up to the max endurance rating of 300 TBW
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a list of the best SSDs for your devices!
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1651 posts
4256 upvotes
North York ON
Price is also decent for 2TB. I use it to edit photos and videos. Works quite well despite some thinking this is an ass drive because of no DRAM and QLC.

Not compatible with PS5 internally. Works in an enclosure.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
15585 posts
6757 upvotes
London
Keith1411 wrote: Price is also decent for 2TB. I use it to edit photos and videos. Works quite well despite some thinking this is an ass drive because of no DRAM and QLC.

What you're using it for is great with no DRAM

You just don't want to use it as your boot drive.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1651 posts
4256 upvotes
North York ON
Viper98 wrote: What you're using it for is great with no DRAM

You just don't want to use it as your boot drive.
What's gonna happen if I use it as a boot drive?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1831 posts
442 upvotes
gta
Can I just use this as an additional storage?
No links or solicitations through sigs
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1651 posts
4256 upvotes
North York ON
emjhay wrote: Can I just use this as an additional storage?
If you're talking about plugging it in externally, you will need an enclosure. Those are about $30-50. Buy from Amazon or from a place where you can return it without penalty if it doesn't perform as advertised. A lot of them do not reach the advertised speeds.

Search for NVMe enclosures and most of them will work. 2280 is the length of this drive, which will fit in most enclosures.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11700 posts
2570 upvotes
Beside the speed, 3D QLC loses 2/3 the write cycle for only 1/3 the capacity gain compared to TLC. For light duty, it may works fine but I rather pay a bit more for 3D TLC.

Keith1411 wrote: Price is also decent for 2TB. I use it to edit photos and videos. Works quite well despite some thinking this is an ass drive because of no DRAM and QLC.

People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask if possible, especially if you have cold symptoms.
Mar 18, 2008
306 posts
204 upvotes
Durham Region
Keith1411 wrote: What's gonna happen if I use it as a boot drive?
If you're an average user doing nothing intensive on your PC, it's totally fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
15585 posts
6757 upvotes
London
Keith1411 wrote: What's gonna happen if I use it as a boot drive?
Slower speeds
Shorter life

Jan 4, 2019
697 posts
739 upvotes
vipervenom25 wrote: If you're an average user doing nothing intensive on your PC, it's totally fine.
I'd argue even if 'intensive' it could depend. Heck, my p1 drive people so not to use as a boot. Been my main drive for awhile now.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
15585 posts
6757 upvotes
London
Gee wrote: Average user will not notice the difference and will not hit the Terabytes Written (TBW) limit.
Saying your average user won't notice a difference isn't fair

If you've never used a fast drive, sure, that may be fair. If you're coming from a 3.5" hdd it will be great

But you'll absolutely notice a difference if you use two machines side by side with all other specs being equal
Mar 18, 2008
306 posts
204 upvotes
Durham Region
Viper98 wrote: Saying your average user won't notice a difference isn't fair

If you've never used a fast drive, sure, that may be fair. If you're coming from a 3.5" hdd it will be great

But you'll absolutely notice a difference if you use two machines side by side with all other specs being equal
Yes, your average user will notice a difference coming from a 3.5 HDD to anything flash based. Other than that, side by side it will be difficult to determine the difference between a SATA SSD and NVMe drive. Differentiating 2 NVMe drives (e.g one running HBM and the other DRAM) side by side for average users will be near impossible.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11700 posts
2570 upvotes
I honestly don't know why people would buy the P2 to encourage bad business practice when there are better options at cheaper or slightly more price, all with three times the p/e cycle and double the rated TBW.

https://www.amazon.ca/Silicon-Power-Gen ... 29&sr=1-31

https://www.amazon.ca/Timetec-Gen3x4-60 ... 29&sr=1-25

https://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-S ... B09HKDQ1RN
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask if possible, especially if you have cold symptoms.
Jan 4, 2019
697 posts
739 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: Saying your average user won't notice a difference isn't fair

Yes, because the average user has two identical spec machines side by side.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
15585 posts
6757 upvotes
London
vipervenom25 wrote: Yes, your average user will notice a difference coming from a 3.5 HDD to anything flash based. Other than that, side by side it will be difficult to determine the difference between a SATA SSD and NVMe drive. Differentiating 2 NVMe drives (e.g one running HBM and the other DRAM) side by side for average users will be near impossible.
That's just factually inaccurate

You will ABSOLUTELY notice a difference side by side

DRAM less sustained performance is worse and anyone not just doing basic web browsing will notice it

While maybe your average user will be someone just doing basic tasks..... But they also aren't someone that is ever going to buy and install a drive themselves
Mar 18, 2008
306 posts
204 upvotes
Durham Region
Viper98 wrote: That's just factually inaccurate

You will ABSOLUTELY notice a difference side by side

DRAM less sustained performance is worse and anyone not just doing basic web browsing will notice it

While maybe your average user will be someone just doing basic tasks..... But they also aren't someone that is ever going to buy and install a drive themselves
Cool, whatever you say

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)