• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2021 10:50 am
[OP]
Aug 3, 2010
220 posts
433 upvotes
North York

[Amazon.ca] Crucial X8 1TB External SSD - $158.99

I set a price alert on this because I was looking for a fast external SSD for the wife. I bought the Samsung T7 1TB last week for $229.99 so this seems good in comparison. Too lazy to return though as she started using it already :(
26 replies
Jul 23, 2006
520 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
this is 10gbp, round 700-800 m/s,
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
GL if u ever have to RMA it Crucial likes to fill out the customs papers wrong so u get jacked for taxes and broker fees because they were to lazy or dumb to declare it a warranty replacement. samsung is just as awful if u gotta deal with there c/s they got all kinds of excesses.
Nov 20, 2006
268 posts
47 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: GL if u ever have to RMA it Crucial likes to fill out the customs papers wrong so u get jacked for taxes and broker fees because they were to lazy or dumb to declare it a warranty replacement. samsung is just as awful if u gotta deal with there c/s they got all kinds of excesses.
So basically, bad news for anyone who needs a warranty replacement for an external SSD from a well-known brand?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
marbles wrote: So basically, bad news for anyone who needs a warranty replacement for an external SSD from a well-known brand?
pretty much. better off with WD or Seagate or Kingston. WD and Seagate both have places in Canada u ship to so u don't have to ship it down to the us and both of them fill the customs papers out properly so no customs fees. kingston they have one of the better RMAs processes out there they will give u there fedex account number to pay for 2 day shipping to them then they ship the replacements back via 2 day shipping also no customs fee.

all other company's adata gigabyte corsair are gonna force u to ship the drives down to the us on your dime fortunately at least the rest of them will fill the customs paper out right and not cost u import fees for something that shouldn't have import fees.
Oct 1, 2017
279 posts
404 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: GL if u ever have to RMA it Crucial likes to fill out the customs papers wrong so u get jacked for taxes and broker fees because they were to lazy or dumb to declare it a warranty replacement. samsung is just as awful if u gotta deal with there c/s they got all kinds of excesses.
Gigabyte hit me with that magic trick before.

Paid $220 in tariffs on my own laptop, that I bought in Canada, and hand to RMA because the battery degraded massively within a few months. Told GB they owed me some wumpum, they told me this was my fault somehow.

In fact, I made my RFD account purely to let people know about this several years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
zobblplatz wrote: Gigabyte hit me with that magic trick before.

Paid $220 in tariffs on my own laptop, that I bought in Canada, and hand to RMA because the battery degraded massively within a few months. Told GB they owed me some wumpum, they told me this was my fault somehow.

In fact, I made my RFD account purely to let people know about this several years ago.
hmm odd i RMAed a Motherboard with them valued for the board was like 200 so if they had filled it out wrong it def would have got taxed this was like 2 years ago so maybe they fixed it by the time i used them.

if the problem was just the battery then shouldn't they have just exchanged the battery i doubt the battery value would add up to 200 in fees. when i contacted acer about a laptop battery they just mailed a new one and told me to recycle the old one.
May 13, 2014
592 posts
251 upvotes
Vancouver
aaron158 wrote:
pretty much. better off with WD or Seagate or Kingston. WD and Seagate both have places in Canada u ship to so u don't have to ship it down to the us and both of them fill the customs papers out properly so no customs fees. kingston they have one of the better RMAs processes out there they will give u there fedex account number to pay for 2 day shipping to them then they ship the replacements back via 2 day shipping also no customs fee.

all other company's adata gigabyte corsair are gonna force u to ship the drives down to the us on your dime fortunately at least the rest of them will fill the customs paper out right and not cost u import fees for something that shouldn't have import fees.
I don't know what's sadder, the way many tech companies continue to treat Canada as an extension of the US market rather than a separate market, or that Canadian tech enthusiasts are so uninformed to the point of not even having a preference of spending their hard-earned dollars with those companies who take Canada seriously as its own market.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5553 posts
8933 upvotes
Montreal
Raident wrote: I don't know what's sadder, the way many tech companies continue to treat Canada as an extension of the US market rather than a separate market, or that Canadian tech enthusiasts are so uninformed to the point of not even having a preference of spending their hard-earned dollars with those companies who take Canada seriously as its own market.
Canada has a smaller population than California.
We are the 51st state.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
Raident wrote: I don't know what's sadder, the way many tech companies continue to treat Canada as an extension of the US market rather than a separate market, or that Canadian tech enthusiasts are so uninformed to the point of not even having a preference of spending their hard-earned dollars with those companies who take Canada seriously as its own market.
imo i think all these companies need to get better policy on stuff. like items under $100 they should just tell u not to bother sending it in like logitech does and provides u return labels for stuff over $100. or like nzxt with water coolers they just tell u to destroy it in a video with ur case number in frame and then they mail u the new one.

most companies are just tossing crap out anyway so forcing people to ship the stuff in does nothing other them make shipping companies richer. cheap items that are less then $200 aren't even worth them fixing to sell refurbished the money in labour ud pay someone to fix it is more then the item is worth.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2428 posts
1174 upvotes
The speed of this SSD at 10Gbps is about 1050MB/s read and write. Shipping to and from the US requires clarity. I receive hardware from these US companies every 2-3 days and never get charges pending. Considering they no longer accept door service payment, simply contact the company with the info when the courier contacts you with respect to charges. Quick and easy for them to take care of it from the other end.

The X8 is a decent drive which rarely requires service... As is the case with most reputable SSDs.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Portable SSDs (And More) 4 Sale

Camera Stuff and Storage 4 Sale
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5699 posts
2262 upvotes
Debtario
Solid portable SSD, I recall when I was researching it was mentioned the SSD inside is actually a Crucial P1 QLC NVMe - I never opened mine so can't confirm,either way I'm satisfied.

IIRC this was the top deal during BF 2019 amazon-ca-crucial-1tb-x8-portable-ssd-5 ... 1-2334467/
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1128 posts
39 upvotes
I just RMA'd with WD and i have to pay shipping to Toronto (15$ with entreprise price). They pay return shipping.

Why do we pay shipping if it's their fault?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
flamenko wrote: The speed of this SSD at 10Gbps is about 1050MB/s read and write. Shipping to and from the US requires clarity. I receive hardware from these US companies every 2-3 days and never get charges pending. Considering they no longer accept door service payment, simply contact the company with the info when the courier contacts you with respect to charges. Quick and easy for them to take care of it from the other end.

The X8 is a decent drive which rarely requires service... As is the case with most reputable SSDs.
if they declare it warranty nothing is owed but some company's don't do it right they declare it as if u bought the item off them so fedex and ups will then jack u for tax plus all kinds of broker fees for clearing it. if its shipped usps even if they do it wrong post office packages slip though no fee most of the time anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
VanillaPep wrote: I just RMA'd with WD and i have to pay shipping to Toronto (15$ with entreprise price). They pay return shipping.

Why do we pay shipping if it's their fault?
its standard policy for most company's to force u to pay to send it in. if u complain alot some will cave and give u a label. or if u deal with kingston they pay both way no questions asked same with logitech most other companies for u to pay and most of them only have a warehouse in the us.
Aug 19, 2013
827 posts
704 upvotes
TORONTO
There's apparently some annoying clause in customs that if you take a product from canada into the states, modify it, and then bring it back, it's considered a new product and get taxed like a new product.

it's all fun and games until the said product is just the original broken product returned as " working and no issues reported by our technicians blah blah"
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42377 posts
6741 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: pretty much. better off with WD or Seagate or Kingston. WD and Seagate both have places in Canada u ship to so u don't have to ship it down to the us and both of them fill the customs papers out properly so no customs fees. kingston they have one of the better RMAs processes out there they will give u there fedex account number to pay for 2 day shipping to them then they ship the replacements back via 2 day shipping also no customs fee.

But I don’t see Kingston, Seagate or WD external SSDs being sold heavily or bought heavily. Usually crucial or Samsung
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2428 posts
1174 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: if they declare it warranty nothing is owed but some company's don't do it right they declare it as if u bought the item off them so fedex and ups will then jack u for tax plus all kinds of broker fees for clearing it. if its shipped usps even if they do it wrong post office packages slip though no fee most of the time anyway.
Even if it is declared warranty UPS and others will still nail you admin fees. You have to ensure you tell them to pay all duties and fees to the courier at source. That's what I meant to say if it wasn't clear. Trust me.... I have been through years of fine tuning with respect to this. Largest parcel came in with 2200 duties several years back... You can bet I never accepted that.
Last edited by flamenko on Feb 23rd, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Portable SSDs (And More) 4 Sale

Camera Stuff and Storage 4 Sale
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
djemzine wrote: But I don’t see Kingston, Seagate or WD external SSDs being sold heavily or bought heavily. Usually crucial or Samsung
amazon/newegg/cc all offer them for sale. problem is people have bought into this hype of Samsung being the best there is and they don't want anything else all tech utubers push Samsung big time to sure they might make a fast drive but what good is when something goes wrong and u call a company who tired to do anything they can to give u a run around so they don't have to honour the warranty. its not even just there SSD samsung tries to weesle out of warranty for anything they sell and make it a huge hassle.