Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Crucial X8 1TB Portable SSD - $107

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2022 10:31 am
6 replies
Jan 8, 2019
188 posts
588 upvotes
Just bought the 2TB X6 on Black Friday deal which was only $22 less than the current 2TB X8 price. The X6 is fine for how I'm using it (keeping macOS Photos library on it connected to Mac Mini), but for only $22 more I would have gone with the X8 at the time. Personally I think the 2TB version is a much better deal, but for people that only need 1TB it's still a great price, less expensive than the Samsung T7 and I believe basically on par with performance, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good post OP, upvoted.

EDIT: Difference in performance vs. Samsung T7 has been outlined by Dhanushan below. TY.
Last edited by sleepyhound on Dec 12th, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3919 posts
1392 upvotes
The Samsung T7 uses TLC NAND so it faster storage but will still see a performance hit once the SLC buffer runs out.
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17136 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
sleepyhound wrote: Just bought the 2TB X6 on Black Friday deal which was only $22 less than the current 2TB X8 price. The X6 is fine for how I'm using it (keeping macOS Photos library on it connected to Mac Mini), but for only $22 more I would have gone with the X8 at the time. Personally I think the 2TB version is a much better deal, but for people that only need 1TB it's still a great price, less expensive than the Samsung T7 and I believe basically on par with performance, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good post OP, upvoted.
In normal usage/workload, they would be on par with performance.

QLC NAND flash memory has slower native write speed compared to TLC NAND flash memory used in the Samsung T7. Once the SLC cache is full, write performance slows down a lot.

2TB model comes with a moderately-sized 256GB SLC cache, the 1TB version has half the cache

from https://www.anandtech.com/show/16186/cr ... -onthego/6
The X8, on the other hand, performs admirably with the SLC cache - For around 256GB of continuous writes, the drive provides 825 MBps+ of bandwidth before slipping down to around 150 MBps for the direct-to-QLC writes. The reason for the X8's stellar performance for normal workloads lies in this SLC cache. Normal workloads rarely go beyond this huge cache, and that is enough to make the X8 lead the charts in almost all tests. The problem is when the SLC cache runs out - as is possible for creative professionals transferring huge work files. Crucial does mention read-intensive workloads as the main focus of the drive, and hence folks with those types of workloads may well prefer SSDs such as the SanDisk Extreme PRO v2.
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1138 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
i have the 500gb version of this from black friday 2019 and still working very well.
tempted to buy this but i have way too many portable storage.
rajojomanik
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
2021 posts
1171 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
A small caveat for those who intend to use SSD as a backup drive(gathering dust on shelves), due to quantum tunnelling, SSD will gradually tunneling it's electrons out and when accumulated enough in that bit pit will no longer hold value 1 this will have a corrupted segment
This might or might not occur and due to various construction facts some SSD might start this bit corruption as short as 1 year, plug in and power on your SSD at least twice per year for some margin of safety

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)