[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5203 posts
2053 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] CT101 Z-wave Smart Thermostat $69.99 great SmartThings support

Great ZWave enabled thermostat
Listed as Iris but will work with SmartThings and possibly other hubs
Native SmartThings support but also custom handlers and apps available.
It can be made smarter then any of those $250 thermostats if you already have Motion and temperature sensors all over the house that are controlled by SmarThings hub.
Supports 4 heating and 2 cooling stages
Can be used on milivolt systems, including Fireplaces.
It can operate using 4AA batteries or using C wire.

RADIO THERMOSTAT Z-WAVE COMMUNICATING TOUCH SCREEN THERMOSTAT CT101 BRAND NEW IN WHITE BOX

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
Program manually for 7 days directly from the screen (if not included to your Z-Wave network) Convenient and functional touch screen Remote temperature control and monitoring using your home automation software Features full and partial screen lock for restricted access in open space Supports 4 heating and 2 cooling stages Designed to interface with the IRIS home control system 12-hour/24-hour time display F or C temperature display Anti-theft network lock (your controller needs to support this feature) Optional wall plate included Clean and modern look

WORKS WITH
2GIG Panel ADT Pulse Almond (Securify) Fibaro Home Center 2 Fibaro Home Center Lite Home Assistant HomeSeer Iris Nexia SmartThings Hub VeraEdge Z-Wave Gateway Controller VeraLite Z-Wave Gateway Controller VeraPlus Z-Wave Plus Advanced Home Controller Vivint Wink

SPECIFICATIONS
Z-Wave Frequency: 908.42 MHz (US) Power: C-wire input 12V-25V AC/DC or 4 AA batteries (not included) Operating Temperature: 32-122 degree F (0-50 degree C) Installation: Indoor Operational Lifetime: 15 years Battery Life: Up to 12 months (standard use) Dimensions: 5.15 x 5.9 x 0.7 inch Touchscreen Display: 2.9 x 1.5 inch Weight: 12.8 ounce
Last edited by lifeisfuneh on Apr 13th, 2018 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
I see it has the option of C-wire power or 4xAA batteries. I wonder what the battery life is if using Zwave?
(reviews suggest "a few months", but not clear the amount of use)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5203 posts
2053 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: I see it has the option of C-wire power or 4xAA batteries. I wonder what the battery life is if using Zwave?
(reviews suggest "a few months", but not clear the amount of use)
Still very good, about a year
You can always just install transformer locally, just connect 12-24V AC power to the C and R screws on the thermostat
Aug 14, 2004
86 posts
35 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: Still very good, about a year
You can always just install transformer locally, just connect 12-24V AC power to the C and R screws on the thermostat
Yup. I think it is pretty rare for a furnace to not have the C wire terminal just maybe your installer didn't pull it. On mine the wire to the thermostat had an extra wire that wasn't terminated on ether side. Simple wiring on both sides. I use this thermostat and it is great. When the C wire is hooked up I think it will also work as a repeater for your z-wave network.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5203 posts
2053 upvotes
mayhan wrote: Yup. I think it is pretty rare for a furnace to not have the C wire terminal just maybe your installer didn't pull it. On mine the wire to the thermostat had an extra wire that wasn't terminated on ether side. Simple wiring on both sides. I use this thermostat and it is great. When the C wire is hooked up I think it will also work as a repeater for your z-wave network.
Good point, yes it works as repeater when connected to AC power source.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2300 posts
382 upvotes
I have a wifi Honeywell from a few years ago that is working fine, but doesn't really integrate well with my Wink 2 hub so I still use the separate Honeywell app. Any benefits of this with zwave over my Honeywell?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
mayhan wrote: I think it is pretty rare for a furnace to not have the C wire terminal just maybe your installer didn't pull it.
No, it goes by the age of the house. It's rare for a thermostat not to have a C wire now, but 30 years ago they used simple thermostats without a C-wire. The difficulty of pulling one from the furnace location (or other AC power source nearby for a transformer) depends on the construction of your house.
Feb 5, 2017
337 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
I have an older place where thermostat is connected to fireplace - no C wire.

Bought a Zigbee thermostat that uses 4 AA batteries. Battery lasted about 15 months. Different technology and product but hope that provides a general idea of how long they last.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5203 posts
2053 upvotes
knapper wrote: I have a wifi Honeywell from a few years ago that is working fine, but doesn't really integrate well with my Wink 2 hub so I still use the separate Honeywell app. Any benefits of this with zwave over my Honeywell?
Well, this will be way more flexible, but if the Honeywell works for you ...
This is great using ST, not sure how far is the development on Wink
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4952 posts
4534 upvotes
mayhan wrote: Yup. I think it is pretty rare for a furnace to not have the C wire terminal just maybe your installer didn't pull it. On mine the wire to the thermostat had an extra wire that wasn't terminated on ether side. Simple wiring on both sides. I use this thermostat and it is great. When the C wire is hooked up I think it will also work as a repeater for your z-wave network.
Not rare at all. MOST installers won't pull the C wire. Why? Simple: for heat and AC you need 4 wires. The 'C' is a 5th wire which isn't required.

MOST installers use 4 conductor cable for the thermostat. It's by far the cheapest cable you can get (cheaper then the 5 conductor "thermostat" cable), so almost all installers run it.

Note I'm talking about both older (60 years old & 30 years old) and brand new houses (< 1 year old).

If you have a 'C' wire great, but don't count on it.
Aug 14, 2004
86 posts
35 upvotes
repatch wrote: Not rare at all. MOST installers won't pull the C wire. Why? Simple: for heat and AC you need 4 wires. The 'C' is a 5th wire which isn't required.

MOST installers use 4 conductor cable for the thermostat. It's by far the cheapest cable you can get (cheaper then the 5 conductor "thermostat" cable), so almost all installers run it.

Note I'm talking about both older (60 years old & 30 years old) and brand new houses (< 1 year old).

If you have a 'C' wire great, but don't count on it.

I said that most furnaces have a c terminal so if you have a spare wire you could wire it up. If you don't have AC then you could have spare wires. I'm pretty sure that that was the reason I had an extra conductor.