• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 2:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
death_hawk wrote: I wonder if it's a staggered rollout.

Neither desktop nor app has it for me.
Do you also have an Amazon.com USA account associated with your email? Maybe it doesn't apply if you only have a Canada account.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Do you also have an Amazon.com USA account associated with your email? Maybe it doesn't apply if you only have a Canada account.
I do.
It shows up on .com just fine (on desktop, I haven't tested .com on the app)

EDIT: I just changed to .com and international (didn't know this was an option, it's kinda neat) and they do have the multi currency options.
But that's to be expected.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Update.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Update 2019-FEB-14:
- I called Rogers Bank and confirmed that Amazon initiated the charges in USD and they came from Washington. It was Amazon who billed in USD. (This should be absolutely zero surprise.)
- I phoned Amazon again and went to their supervisor, who then confirmed all of this with her supervisor. They claim they checked everything and saw of evidence of be being billed in USD, and all of their information shows I was billed in CAD. They refused to take a scan or photo of my credit card statement. (Not surprised here either.)

Next steps, I'll consider jeff@amazon.com. And I'll consider something like CBC MarketPlace.

I probably won't go as far as a chargeback since this is only for under $2, and I don't want to get my amazon account blocked over a relatively small amount and then lose all my Kindle books, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5649 posts
7008 upvotes
The front end support won't see the actual work being done from the backend. Only the account department will see where the money actually goes. You need to tell the supervisor to escalate the problem. Contact the head office is also a good way to solve this kind of issue. Also, you need to tell Amazon that I don't see my credit card statement is being charged 22.6/5.66. My statement shows the charge is 23.55/5.9. Tell Amazon that it is either you charge me more than the invoice or you charge me in US$.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Update.
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: I probably won't go as far as a chargeback since this is only for under $2, and I don't want to get my amazon account blocked over a relatively small amount and then lose all my Kindle books, etc.
I'm pretty sure a DCC chargeback won't block your account. They usually block accounts when you claim "unauthorized transaction" or "item not received" when someone signed for the item at your address.
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
I think jeff@amazon.com will not reply. You can try though.

Try making a complaint with the BBB, usually Amazon will reply within 2 weeks.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21467 posts
15597 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
emilio911 wrote: I'm pretty sure a DCC chargeback won't block your account. They usually block accounts when you claim "unauthorized transaction" or "item not received" when someone signed for the item at your address.
The issues are (a) that we really don't know their criteria and once blocked, (b) you lose access to media that you've paid for and (c) appeals tend to be difficult if not also futile.

See e.g. Amazon Beats Up Its Brand by Locking Customer Accounts for No Apparent Reason | Inc.com and Furious customers say they've been mysteriously locked out of their Amazon accounts — and they have no idea why.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
bylo wrote: The issues are (a) that we really don't know their criteria and once blocked, (b) you lose access to media that you've paid for and (c) appeals tend to be difficult if not also futile.

See e.g. Amazon Beats Up Its Brand by Locking Customer Accounts for No Apparent Reason | Inc.com and Furious customers say they've been mysteriously locked out of their Amazon accounts — and they have no idea why.
Yeah, but they are not stupid. If they block your account, you are then allowed to chargeback all the "media" you bought in the past year. It won't happen.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Yes, but I also realise that not every hill is worth dying on.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1878 posts
607 upvotes
why do Amazon allow currency conversion when ure buying from dot ca shipping to a Canadian address. that is just plain stupid.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
manho wrote: why do Amazon allow currency conversion when you're buying from dot ca shipping to a Canadian address. that is just plain stupid.
I'd like to say it's a scam like PayPal to make money by having people pay excessive exchange rates.

But if you look at my screenshot above, the rate is noticeably superior to www.xe.com.

I think the real reason here is they are trying to unify all account and payment systems between USA and Canada Amazon, bringing the Currency Converter to Canada is a side effect.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Feb 16th, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Yes, but I also realise that not every hill is worth dying on.
Just fill out a complaint with the BBB, they will solve your issue
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
emilio911 wrote: Just fill out a complaint with the BBB, they will solve your issue
Serious question, has the BBB actually ever solved an issue?
They're not an "official" company by any means and have no teeth legally speaking.
Not to mention in this day and age do people actually look at the BBB rating? I figured with Yelp/Google/whatever having reviews not many people are turning towards the BBB any more.
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Serious question, has the BBB actually ever solved an issue?
They're not an "official" company by any means and have no teeth legally speaking.
Not to mention in this day and age do people actually look at the BBB rating? I figured with Yelp/Google/whatever having reviews not many people are turning towards the BBB any more.
It's only a way to force the management of a company to reply to your concern when they won't reply. ( They can even get Google to reply if you have an issue with them.---Try contacting Google by yourself and you'll see how hard it is.)

What will happen is that the management will reply and usually apply their policies by the book. (In case of OP, it seems like Amazon's policy was not correctly followed because of a computer glitch.)

However, if your issue is with the unreasonable policies of a company, yes, you're better off with the chargeback route.

But nothing stops you from trying the BBB first, then a chargeback.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Update.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Update 2019-FEB-18:

I have filed the BBB complaint. We shall see what comes of this.

Also, I have thought of a few possible causes for this Forex issue:
1. My Kindle Store setting is USA, not Canada. (This is because of more frequent deals on the American kindle store.)
2. I did change the shipping options between 'ship when everything is ready' and 'ship as soon as possible' 2 times. Maybe this broke something in their software.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Updated.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Update 2019-FEB-20:

Received response to BBB complaint. Appears to be from some Amazon India drone who didn't even read the complaint.
Now they are claiming that I *did* use the Amazon Currency Converter to request USD, and therefore can't get a refund.
This response totally contradicts everything their leadership team told me.
I'm going to apply Occam's Razor here and assume that the person who responded was just an idiot, and I have to slog through first tier drones before I reach anyone competent.
I rejected their resolution. Fortunately the 'rejection' interface allows you to send an attachment, so I made up an image clearly showing my credit card and the Amazon invoic side by side, with relevant parts highlighted.
I'll keep updating here.
Here is the response from the Amazon India drone:
I'm **** Kumar from Amazon.com. I'm writing in response to a complaint filed on your behalf by the Better Business Bureau BBB - I've provided the BBB with a copy of this message.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

I've checked and see the order was placed using currency converter. Unfortunately, you're not eligible for any refund.

If you'd prefer not to use the Amazon Currency Converter for this order, choose the "CAD" option on the final page before you submit your order to view and check out in Canadian Dollars.

To avoid the Amazon Currency Converter going forward, you can choose to be charged in CAD by changing your card's preferred currency in the “Choose a Payment Method” step during checkout.

To do this, follow these steps:

When you have selected the card you want to use you will see text below it that says "My card is in XX Currency". You will also see a "(Change card currency)" option below this.
If you have already passed the Select Payment Method step and are reviewing your order, you can return to this step by selecting the "Change card currency" link underneath the order total on the right side.

Click "(Change card currency)" and you will see a drop-down menu with a list of currencies.

Select the currency you want your card to be charged in.

Following the steps above will save your new currency preference for this card in your account. Future orders will be charged in this currency.

When you place an order supported by the Amazon Currency Converter, we'll automatically display your order in your local currency. Although Amazon is consistently working to provide you with competitive foreign exchange rates, we understand if you would prefer to place your order in Canadian Dollars.

With the Amazon Currency Converter, we'll display your payment total up front and if you're ever entitled to a refund of the total order cost, you'll receive the same amount you paid for your order since the same exchange rate will be used.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Update - SUCCESS! AMAZON REFUNDED ME!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Face With Tears Of Joy
Jucius Maximus wrote: Update 2019-FEB-24:

SUCCESS!! Amazon refunded me for the Forex billing error!
I suspect it was my document, showing Amazon's bill and my credit card online billing info side-by-side, with highlighting, which finally got the message through.
There was apparently no way for me to send this document directly to amazon as they refused to look at my CC billing. It's a good thing the BBB provides this facility.
I was refunded US $1.77 so I am happy with the outcome.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19947 posts
4534 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Kiraly wrote: Yay! What are you going to spend your $1.77 refund on?
Probably something to eat.
I was getting hungry from not swallowing my principles. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Feb 23, 2019
1 posts
I'm gonna use home trust visa for amazon from now on just in case case.