Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS - $179.95

Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS - $179.95

Not as good of a sale as it was in the past 3-4 years at 155.99. Sucks that they didn't have the usual sale on Cyber Monday so it looks like 179.95 is as good as it gets this year for the Cyberpower 1500VA Sinewave UPS. Not much like this in this price range so it's still a good buy. I have two and both are working well the past couple years.

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1500 ... WBD2QF2WM1
32 replies
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
993 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
I bought this identical model from Amazon Nov 2017 for $155.99
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
4020 posts
3369 upvotes
YUL/YVR
RSole wrote: Costco.com (U.S.$)
It's $179.xx CAD in store. The product is just not listed on Costco.ca
Jun 18, 2010
121 posts
74 upvotes
AdamKing wrote: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/
What's the difference between these 2 lines?
- PFC SINEWAVE
- INTELLIGENT LCD

Which line does the Costco CST1400S fall under?
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cst1400s/

Aside the 100VA difference, is there that big of a difference compared to OP's Amazon CP1500PFCLCD?
Specs look almost exactly the same on the website. Seems to be a Costco exclusive model with a little bit less power, same battery capacity. But as the above poster noted, that price is for .com.
Jan 7, 2011
203 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
As for the Sinewave just an excerpt from http://smartpowersystems.com:
"In order to make a sine wave we have to use a Pulse-Width Modulated Inverter, which will increase the cost of the unit. A PWM Inverter will put out a sine wave with some distortion, but very little in comparison to the other type of modified sine waves. The benefits of Pure Sine Wave output are less stress on components, less noise, cleaner power and better long-term performance while operating on battery power."

https://superuser.com/questions/912679/ ... e-wave-ups:
"As to the question of whether any of the equipment...cares about the quality of the UPS power output, that depends on the design of each component's power supply."

The takeaway, in general, is that if you have any motor-driven electronics it may be best practice to put it on a sinewave UPS than a simulated one. Ideally, you would look at what it is you are using and see what kind of input is recommended by the MFR. Do some more searching if you aren't sure but the cost difference is there for a reason but the biggest factor with UPS is the replacement batteries so consider that as well.
Last edited by cillerbee on Dec 26th, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 18, 2010
121 posts
74 upvotes
AdamKing wrote: It's $179.xx CAD in store. The product is just not listed on Costco.ca
If it's not listed on the .ca site, is it actually stocked in the Canadian stores?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Decent price. However, If you are planning to put more than a 700W load no these, Just be carefull with these units if you expect any runtime... The runtime chart for the 1500 unit shown in the OP, is below.
So Runtime (half/full): 11 minutes / 2 minutes (and that will only decrease over time as the batteries get older). So if you are planning to connect some computer NAS servers or file servers, this may NOT be long enough to shut them down properly.

I personally have and prefer the APC SmartUPS series, but they are pricy typicaly. However I noticed that excessups has some nice refurb tripplite units @ $149 right now. And they are also 1500VA, Pure Sine Wave, comes with new batteries and 1 yr warranty. And these use larger batteries and have 20 min. runtime at half load; 8 min. at full load. Just an option for those who will need to add a larger load on these units.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
AdamKing wrote: I'm 100% sure its $180 CAD in store at Costco.

However, I can't be certain now if its the above posted UPS one. Or if it's this APC one
https://www.costco.ca/APC-Back-UPS-Pro- ... 16110.html
Which also has very similar specs (1500, PFC) as the Amazon one OP posted.
Back-UPS is not sinewave, brands and models do matter, you can't just say, oh look a 1500VA cheaper than this one, just like you can't compare a Corsair 550W RMx PSU with their cheap entry level 550W PSUs
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13099 upvotes
Just want to chime in that this is good price for PFC.

People need to stop comparing PFC and non-PFC UPSs.

That said, if you don't have a PC with high quality power supply, PFC doesn't matter as much.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA
Emporium wrote: I personally have and prefer the APC SmartUPS series, but they are pricy typicaly. However I noticed that excessups has some nice refurb tripplite units @ $149 right now. And they are also 1500VA, Pure Sine Wave, comes with new batteries and 1 yr warranty. And these use larger batteries and have 20 min. runtime at half load; 8 min. at full load. Just an option for those who will need to add a larger load on these units.
Thanks, I will look into this Tripplite option as well. Do you know how loud they run? I wasn't too happy with the noise levels from recent 1500VA commercial grade UPSes. I've used 1500VA APC SMTs, Powerware 9130s, and Eaton 5SCs, and the fans are always on and pretty annoying/loudish. These Cyberpower UPSes run completely silent. I miss the older APC SUA models with silent operation.

Do note though that APC smart UPS batteries for higher VA models use higher Ah batteries, which are more expensive and heavier (thus the longer run times). From the last few years of replacing batteries, most high Amp hour batteries (12Ah and above) bulge/swell pretty badly when they reach the end of their life. At the same time, I've almost never seen a depleted 12V 7Ah or even 9Ah battery swell. I've must have replaced hundreds of 12V 9Ah batteries during my last job, and have never seen any blow up like 12Ah and 18Ah batteries. So the Tripplite you posted is definitely interesting, as it uses 3x 12V 7Ah, so definitely good in my books and provides better runtimes than the Cyberpower.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA
n-ster wrote: Back-UPS is not sinewave, brands and models do matter, you can't just say, oh look a 1500VA cheaper than this one, just like you can't compare a Corsair 550W RMx PSU with their cheap entry level 550W PSUs
Actually some Back-UPSes are sinewave. I bought the BR1350MS last month because I needed another one urgently, and didnt think this Cyberpower unit would go on sale again. FML. Surprisingly the BR1350MS came with 2x 12V 9Ah CSB HR1234W batteries, which are fantastic.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
High Quality PFC power supplies have no issues even with cheaper non-pure sine wave UPS units. PFC does not automatically mean you NEED a pure sine-wave output.

I have 2 PCS with CoolerMaster 1000W Silent Pro power supplies which are active PFC units, and they have no issue whether they are plugged into either my better APC SMARTUPS SUA1500/SMT15000 units, or some cheaper BackUPS RS15000 (which were build way before PFC power supplies become a thing). I can even can plug them into an old Deltec unit, which is 15+ years old (ok, with new batteries). The power supply has no issues, and any glitches during the power transfer (typically 8ms ot 10ms on current units), is absorbed by decent circuits and capacitors...

This is why you can find 1000W power supplies that can weight under 1kg, and others (like this one) weight close to 4kg. Big difference in quality.

So it is not as simple as PFC or no PFC. There is different qualities, there is active vs passive PFC, etc...

cheers..
Jun 3, 2018
169 posts
159 upvotes
When the power is running normally and there's no outage does the electricity just flow through this unit unconditioned? Like it'd be cool if this could be a poor man's power conditioner but I guess it's not right?
Jun 3, 2018
169 posts
159 upvotes
I'm just looking to plug my head fi rig into some nice clean power even if it's just voodoo lol
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
Looking to get a ups to protect provide enough runtime to safely shut off my home theatre projector in the case of a power outage.

Does the sine wave vs non sine wave thing matter for a projector? The projector draws 200-265w while running
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA
Rollingsound wrote: When the power is running normally and there's no outage does the electricity just flow through this unit unconditioned? Like it'd be cool if this could be a poor man's power conditioner but I guess it's not right?
Under normal conditions, it will go through the automatic voltage regulator first, and then through surge protection. Essentially, it is a power conditioner with a battery.