Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] CyberPower EC850LCD Ecologic Battery Backup & Surge Protector UPS System---$79

[OP]
Apr 21, 2020
115 posts
140 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] CyberPower EC850LCD Ecologic Battery Backup & Surge Protector UPS System---$79

This's a really good deal,but UPS isn't necessary to most users who don't have NAS in Canada.

I live in Montreal, power supply is always very steady.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DBA ... EEQB&psc=1
Last edited by uathinker on Dec 26th, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3734 posts
5932 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please,
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3982 posts
714 upvotes
Windsor
Thanks OP, been waiting for a UPS to go on sale
Sep 28, 2015
719 posts
547 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Lowest price according to 3camels, though too big for my needs.
Aug 17, 2006
472 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm... Looking at the questions, looks like this thing will probably last 15 minutes for a router and modem or other low power consumption electronics. Although it might be useful for some people, you're probably better off with a UPS that has a higher capacity.

Won't help me for my home video camera, security system, Internet.

Upvoted for sharing!
Last edited by tweep0 on Dec 26th, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 27, 2015
34 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
sks8100 wrote: Why downvotes?
Because most people don't need it. There are certain people who need UPS who live in area where outage comes often and they need battery to prevent from outage for important stuff (saving files, internet, security cameras DVR and etc.)
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1115 posts
874 upvotes
Ecalr91 wrote: Because most people don't need it. There are certain people who need UPS who live in area where outage comes often and they need battery to prevent from outage for important stuff (saving files, internet, security cameras DVR and etc.)
Silly reason for downvoting
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14914 posts
1197 upvotes
Markham
It's got Simulated Sine Wave so I assume it's good for desktop PCs

Thanks OP
ShadowVlican
Jul 23, 2012
478 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
tweep0 wrote: Hmm... Looking at the questions, looks like this thing will probably last 15 minutes for a router and modem or other low power consumption electronics. Although it might be useful for some people, you're probably better off with a UPS that has a higher capacity.

Upvoted for sharing!
Same thought I had as well, and looking at the description it says it's a simulated sinewave, so it may stress some electronics. If one was thinking of putting a computer on this, you may want to look for another UPS that has PFC, and says sinewave. At home I'm using an APC 1500VA (BR1500MS) for my home server, and have had no issues with it especially when the power cuts. My brother has a CP1500PFCLCD, and has had no issue with it.
Dec 20, 2010
449 posts
390 upvotes
If I just want something to tell my Synology DS918+ to shut down when the power goes out is this enough? I'm wondering if the CyberPower 1500VA I got from Best Buy is excessive now
Nov 27, 2015
34 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
T_Ruff wrote: If I just want something to tell my Synology DS918+ to shut down when the power goes out is this enough? I'm wondering if the CyberPower 1500VA I got from Best Buy is excessive now
Nothing is excessive for UPS protecting your NAS. The most importance is how long it can last after outage for NAS. It's crucial to have more wattage because sometimes you might forget to shut it properly or left the house before outage happens.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9847 posts
2033 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xcell wrote: Price went up - deal dead
Not yet, just ordered one
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3126 posts
3069 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
T_Ruff wrote: If I just want something to tell my Synology DS918+ to shut down when the power goes out is this enough? I'm wondering if the CyberPower 1500VA I got from Best Buy is excessive now
Meh, personally buy once cry once. I'd rather have (and do own) the bigger 1500VA. My 1500VA will power my full desktop + 2 monitors at normal work usage for about 40 minutes, which basically means I can work through most power failures without worrying. The second 1500VA I have hooked up to my NAS/modem/router will last well over an hour (or way longer if I shut down the NAS when the power dies), so my GF can continue to watch movies or browse the internet. If its a power failure that's longer than an hour I've got other issues lol.

The bigger batteries are also easy to replace when it dies since the big units are so common.
Jun 29, 2017
348 posts
1112 upvotes
Should this work with a Synology NAS? Just looking for something that will tell a DS220J to shut down in the event of a power failure. I do see it has a USB communication port, so I think it should be good?

However, I don't see this model listed on Synology's UPS compatibility list: https://www.synology.com/en-global/comp ... rPower&p=1
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1033 posts
837 upvotes
Moncton
tweep0 wrote: Hmm... Looking at the questions, looks like this thing will probably last 15 minutes for a router and modem or other low power consumption electronics. Although it might be useful for some people, you're probably better off with a UPS that has a higher capacity.

Won't help me for my home video camera, security system, Internet.

Upvoted for sharing!
I wouldn't trust those answers. I've got a similar (I think it's actually smaller VA unit) UPS connected to my wireless router and it keeps my wifi internet connection up for at least a couple of hours.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10777 posts
5076 upvotes
I have this version and there bigger 1500va one. This one will power a home router and ppoe and cell phone booster for approx 20 to 30 minutes.
The bigger version ill get around 60 to 90 minutes.

Also after a year the battery in these start going down hill. The bigger 1500va ive had battery replaced after 1.5 years. I have the other apc brand from costco same kind of specs and its been 3 years with no issues.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Jun 29, 2017
348 posts
1112 upvotes
robfun wrote: Should this work with a Synology NAS? Just looking for something that will tell a DS220J to shut down in the event of a power failure. I do see it has a USB communication port, so I think it should be good?

However, I don't see this model listed on Synology's UPS compatibility list: https://www.synology.com/en-global/comp ... rPower&p=1
I found this in the reviews:
"I plugged in a modem, router, Synology NAS and additional hard drive, and it shows approximately 40mins of power available. I had originally connected a PC and monitor also, which dropped the available power down to 5 mins, so I opted to just have the PC surge protected and not battery backed. My intended use is just to maintain power during quick flickers, and in the case of a real outage, to power down my NAS safely. It does this well. Testing by unplugging the unit from the wall switches immediately to battery. It does have a whine to it while on battery power, but in the rare case it's on battery, that won't bother me. Synology detected it automatically and all I had to do was turn on the safe shutdown in power options, no software setup needed. "

"Very good back up for your modem computer etc. I like how there are spacing between the two slots alllw you to plug in those adaptors. Battery very good. I plugged with my synology and detects it right away. There also a slot for replace battey"