• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2022 5:44 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
988 posts
456 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Amazon.ca] Cyclone Dust Separator - $34.99 after $5 coupon

Fairly high rated dust cyclone with free shipping.

Comes in white or black.

Attach to a round or square 5 gal bucket - I recommend a sturdy one like Rona's or Reno Depot's.

Should mate to most shop vacs - some may require extra hardware to fit the type of hose you have.

Sold by NeatiEase and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Images
  • Dust Cyclone.jpg
15 replies
Dec 4, 2017
379 posts
470 upvotes
Whitby
Good price... But still don't understand why it's at this price point.
Aug 14, 2019
215 posts
203 upvotes
MrMello wrote: Good price... But still don't understand why it's at this price point.
huh? good price but you don't understand why it's that price? so is it a good price or not?
Dec 4, 2017
379 posts
470 upvotes
Whitby
I was looking to something like that for some time... The current price is good based on my research.
However still expensive as this is basically a plastic that does not requires critical production.
Oct 8, 2019
38 posts
37 upvotes
reesefitzmaurice wrote: how is this diff than a hepa filter?
All this does is seperate the majority of sawdust away from your shop vac so the filter doesn't clog. Then you just empty the bucket before it gets full which takes no time at all. It installs on a homedepot bucket or similar and is connected between the tool and shop vac/dust collector. Not a hepa filter of any sort.
Jan 16, 2017
563 posts
325 upvotes
Rookian wrote: All this does is seperate the majority of sawdust away from your shop vac so the filter doesn't clog. Then you just empty the bucket before it gets full which takes no time at all. It installs on a homedepot bucket or similar and is connected between the tool and shop vac/dust collector. Not a hepa filter of any sort.
should like a poorman's version of a hepa filter
Oct 8, 2019
38 posts
37 upvotes
For those interested, I made one of these for myself using two HD buckets and some ABS fittings going off of this video:

I doubt I saved much money compared to this deal but it works perfectly fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1355 posts
793 upvotes
Longueuil
reesefitzmaurice wrote: should like a poorman's version of a hepa filter
It is actually the opposite. It will retrieve the large particles. The medium/small particles will get to your shopvac bin and the very small particles will be caught by the hepa filter of the shopvac.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
May 22, 2017
51 posts
50 upvotes
Good price, but still expensive for a piece of plastic.

As mentioned you can DIY build your own using an extra 5 gallon bucket and some ABS pipe fittings from Home Depot. I built one myself and it works great. But it still costs about $30 for the parts, so not much cheaper than the product in the OP.
Last edited by Replyall on Apr 28th, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2016
210 posts
260 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
Replyall wrote: Good price, but still expensive for a piece of plastic.

As mentioned you can DIY build your own using an extra 5 gallon bucket and some ABS pipe fittings from Home Depot. I built one myself and it works great. But it still costs about $30 for the parts, so not much cheaper than the product in the OP.
The good part about DIY is that first you build it yourself (duh) so it has some satisfaction when you see it working, second you can adjust it to your needs and preferences, and third yep at least in parts is cheaper.

The "con" is and what people tend to forget when pointing the DIY route, is that it takes time to actually do it, sure if you are super handy it can take you like what 1 hour, maybe 2 hours tops, if not you are not that handy, you can expect minimum 2 to 3 hours in the making, and for some people they could earn more money doing their actual work than just wasting that many hours doing something they can buy cheaper, here's when it comes the point about when's better to DIY or just buy the stuff already done.

Also for those saying expensive for just a piece of plastic, check that the Oneida Dust Deputy (I think the original one if I'm not mistaken) is basically the same thing but it costs around $70 (just the separator) and around $200 (for the kit that has the bucket, fittings and hose) and has excellent reviews and people buy it a lot.

The only real con for what I can see, in the reviews, some people are complaining about the fittings, so beware as you may not be able to connect it to your shopvac cause fittings may not be compatible and you may need to purchase additional fittings, other than that seem a good deal for a basic dust collector separator.
May 22, 2017
51 posts
50 upvotes
DonCapo wrote: The "con" is and what people tend to forget when pointing the DIY route, is that it takes time to actually do it, sure if you are super handy it can take you like what 1 hour, maybe 2 hours tops, if not you are not that handy, you can expect minimum 2 to 3 hours in the making, and for some people they could earn more money doing their actual work than just wasting that many hours doing something they can buy cheaper, here's when it comes the point about when's better to DIY or just buy the stuff already done.
Definitely worth just buying pre-made products in a lot of cases, but the Amazon cyclone in the OP still requires almost the same amount of DIY work since you need still need to buy a bucket, cut a hole and assemble everything.

The full $140 Oneida Dust Deputy Deluxe kit from Lee Valley is the simplest since everything is ready to assemble and it comes with the extra hose (cyclones require 2 hoses).
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... 5MQAvD_BwE
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1290 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Got a similar one from Aliexpress 2 years ago for $11.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11471 posts
6653 upvotes
Paris
Replyall wrote: Good price, but still expensive for a piece of plastic.

I just use the Lee Valley lid with a 55 gallon drum for my home shop. Its amazing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)