• May 26th, 2021 11:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2819 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] D-Link DGS-108GL $24.99 network switch

D-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch.
Replacement of their DGS-108 model.

Hardware changes,
LED locations changed to the top of the switch.
Single LED per port now, instead of dual LED per port.

Basic 802.1p QoS feature still available.
For details on D-Link's implementation,
A quick review, click HERE
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2184 posts
2045 upvotes
Toronto
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1207 posts
2442 upvotes
Canada
I'm a simple man, I see d-link, I downvote
Live a little
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2819 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
neonic wrote: ... why not get the very known around RFD TL-SG108 for 23.99
Questionable quality control and pathetic updates for network devices with firmware updates.
Users can browse through a typical tp-link support website for their routers/AP ... firmware and compare them against other brands.

I only purchase tp-link products if third party firmware is available and there is no choice.
e.g. OpenWrt
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6049 posts
4491 upvotes
M-Arkham
Normally, I would be against D-link as well, but I found that most of the dlink issues are with their wireless products.

Their wired products like this 8 port switch are very stable.
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3286 posts
995 upvotes
Belle River
The brand varies but the basic 8 port switches on Amazon seem to always hit $20 at least once a year, if you're not in a hurry.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
Warlock wrote: Questionable quality control and pathetic updates for network devices with firmware updates.
Users can browse through a typical tp-link support website for their routers/AP ... firmware and compare them against other brands.

I only purchase tp-link products if third party firmware is available and there is no choice.
e.g. OpenWrt
This thread is about dumb switches, so no firmware updates. How is this even relevant?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2819 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: This thread is about dumb switches, so no firmware updates.
Point out where I stated that the unmanaged switches had any updates.
alpovs wrote: How is this even relevant?
I repeat: ... pathetic updates for network devices with firmware updates.
Reference for their overall service and quality control of their products.

Doubt that most users has tools such as digital micrometer(s) and the like, nor the time to sit around measuring tolerances of the tp-link products. Nor the patience to tear down and check the soldering work on their PCBs.

So a quick shortcut with no costs and get the general idea of the company,
Check their website's routers, access points... frequency of firmware updates, length between updates, total support period of their updates ...
If their $100.00, $200.00, $300.00 ... products are flakey/poor specifications, users should not expect any better results with their $24.00 network switch.

That does not even mention their pitiful business practices such as having a backdoor on at least one of their access points.

With all that said,
Some people consider a single dollar saved is more important. That's their money and their choice.
Feb 14, 2006
859 posts
1001 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Brewmeanie wrote: Normally, I would be against D-link as well, but I found that most of the dlink issues are with their wireless products.

I had both a d-link 100mbit switch and 54g router with burnt out ethernet ports. 3 work, one don't. Only happened with d-link products. Direct replace dlink router with netgear router and no issues. The dlink router did have ddwrt on it. Maybe a combo of bad hardware design and 3rd party sketchy code on the router, but the switch was dumb and also failed... A lightning strike, but all other gears working? Why would ports just fail? Since then i've avoided dlink and had no weird issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2430 posts
1093 upvotes
+1 on the d-link hate. RMA'd an overheating wifi router and got back an overheating wifi router.

F 'em.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1598 posts
928 upvotes
Does firmware and security updates really matter? How do you mess a dumb switch?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4408 posts
1947 upvotes
Parry Sound
I hate D-Link as much as the next guy but it's just a dumb switch.. they all (essentially) work the same.

But this deal is horrible. You can get an 8-port TP-Link dumb switch for $20 regular price.
Warlock wrote: Questionable quality control and pathetic updates for network devices with firmware updates.

e.g. OpenWrt
Firmware updates? For a dumb switch? Lol.

Questionable quality control but posts a D-Link product? LOL!
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2184 posts
2045 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote: I hate D-Link as much as the next guy but it's just a dumb switch.. they all (essentially) work the same.

But this deal is horrible. You can get an 8-port TP-Link dumb switch for $20 regular price.
I mean, I wasn't really suggesting that the TP-Link one would blow this D-Link out of water or anything. But if we're comparing them, price is already a difference, if performance is the same, it'd give it to TP-Link already, but this TL-SG108 (metal casing) have lifetime warranty, the plastic one (which I assume is the one you've mentioned for $20) is 2 year and OP's D-Link 5 for that matter. So for another 3-4 bucks I'd rather chose it.

Then again, I don't know much about switches, and just mentioned because this SG108 seems to be very liked around here (hence the links)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7208 posts
7145 upvotes

e.g. OpenWrt
Do you realize we're talking about dumb, unmanaged switches here?

You don't get firmware updates for that sort of device.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7208 posts
7145 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: Normally, I would be against D-link as well, but I found that most of the dlink issues are with their wireless products.

Unless you use mesh networking, tons of issues there, for example:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=162000

I had this issue with both a TP-Link mesh setup, and a Samsung mesh setup. VERY frustrating issue to debug. D-Link is garbage, no matter the device IMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7208 posts
7145 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy D-Link networking gear.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7208 posts
7145 upvotes
Warlock wrote: Point out where I stated that the unmanaged switches had any updates.

I repeat: ... pathetic updates for network devices with firmware updates.
Reference for their overall service and quality control of their products.

Doubt that most users has tools such as digital micrometer(s) and the like, nor the time to sit around measuring tolerances of the tp-link products. Nor the patience to tear down and check the soldering work on their PCBs.

So a quick shortcut with no costs and get the general idea of the company,
Check their website's routers, access points... frequency of firmware updates, length between updates, total support period of their updates ...
If their $100.00, $200.00, $300.00 ... products are flakey/poor specifications, users should not expect any better results with their $24.00 network switch.

That does not even mention their pitiful business practices such as having a backdoor on at least one of their access points.

With all that said,
Some people consider a single dollar saved is more important. That's their money and their choice.
I'd consider your position MUCH more seriously if you weren't suggesting D-LINK was a better option!? /smh