Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] D-Link DIR-878 AC1900 $99.82 & FREE shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2021 2:25 pm
Jan 21, 2003
305 posts
89 upvotes
Edmonton
Warlock wrote: Bottom line: To get the most out of the DIR-878 and the DIR-882 currently, free third party firmware such as dd-wrt or LEDE firmware should be installed/used.
Awesome, thanks for testing all of this. Pretty disappointed to hear how poorly this router fares with the stock firmware. My preference is generally to run the vendor firmware rather than 3rd-party, but I guess I have no choice in this case.
Jan 5, 2017
264 posts
171 upvotes
montreal
dakewldude wrote: Awesome, thanks for testing all of this. Pretty disappointed to hear how poorly this router fares with the stock firmware. My preference is generally to run the vendor firmware rather than 3rd-party, but I guess I have no choice in this case.
i think this is a bit of a stretch. First off, although I appreciate the testing performed by 'Warlock', this is an extremely small sample size, testing wise. I'm not disputing the results he/she found, but I dont think it's fair to see these results and assume the vendor firmware is bad and that you need to go to DD-WRT. Smallnetbuilder.com is one of the more extensive router-reviewing websites around, and the reviewer loved this router. It's currently ranked #5 in his list, with the other 4 routers being much more expensive and higher-end gear.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/r ... outer/view

to quote the reviewer: "If we had an SNB award for best price performance, the DIR-882 would certainly earn it. Although Amazon is pricing it at $130 as I write this, it would still be a compelling buy at its $149.99 MSRP." (note that DIR-882 = DIR-878 from a wireless perspective)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
seanns32 wrote: ... Smallnetbuilder.com is one of the more extensive router-reviewing websites around, and the reviewer loved this router. It's currently ranked #5 in his list, with the other 4 routers being much more expensive and higher-end gear...
Agreed.
One of the reasons why I decided to test/sample a DIR-878. :)

I really do not know why I ended up with the poor results with D-Link's stock firmware.
Perhaps others with more time to fiddle around with D-Link's own firmware can track down the source.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a dir 860l b1 same soc the mediatek MT7621AT dual core 2 threads per core.Great soc lots of punch and low power consumption. Mine runs the older ac1200 wifi chipset tho but I have a padavan port for it and its rock stock stable with great speeds.

If this router gets a padavan port someday(no MT7615N support in git yet) you can get hardware accel nat too. Untill then with no licensed drivers I believe it'll max wan to lan at 450-600 vs gigabit on opensource.

Does this router come with the the dlink recovery. If it does that means its almost unbrickable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Matrx wrote: How's router stability with dd-wrt? Any issues thus far?
I think I encountered reboots without any notifications when making configuration changes in dd-wrt.
I have not enabled my usual practice of a daily reboot to see if reboots was due to config changes or not.

In defense of dd-wrt, this is a fairly new model unlike the Archer C7, which the dd-wrt developers had years to refine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
For those using the stock D-Link firmware,
Keep in mind that the KRACK security issue has not been dealt with.
D-Link just released a beta firmware in the past few hours, dealing with the KRACK security issue but that is for US region DIR-878 routers.
They posted the following "The beta firmware will be followed up by a fully quality test release in approximately 4 weeks"
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2002
1167 posts
53 upvotes
Warlock wrote: I think I encountered reboots without any notifications when making configuration changes in dd-wrt.
I have not enabled my usual practice of a daily reboot to see if reboots was due to config changes or not.

In defense of dd-wrt, this is a fairly new model unlike the Archer C7, which the dd-wrt developers had years to refine.
Thanks for the info, I'm finding my dir-878 on stock fw oddly drops the connection once a day between 8:30-9:00pm... I need to go through all the settings to see if it's maybe something I accidentally entered while configuring...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback Matrx.
Post back if you locate the reboot issue and/or if reboots continues.
I do remember that the stock D-Link firmware has option for scheduled reboots.

I'll keep an eye out on this DIR-878 running dd-wrt as well.
Aug 30, 2009
292 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
anyone have instructions how to using dd-wrt with this modem ? I did some google but find nothing, much appreciate
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
metallica86 wrote: anyone have instructions how to using dd-wrt with this modem ? I did some google but find nothing, much appreciate
Are you talking about tutorial on installation of dd-wrt
or
Settings after you have dd-wrt running in the DIR-878 router?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3753 posts
156 upvotes
Barrie
Click the link that applies to you below, download the factory to ddwrt file, log into the router and upgrade the firmware using a file, use the file you downloaded, let it reboot on its own. After that you are on DD-WRT

Download for DIR-882 firmware

Download for DIR-878 firmware
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
metallica86 wrote: Both please, im noob with this router thing
To install the dd-wrt firmware,
You can download the current dd-wrt factory-to-ddwrt.bin file for the DIR-878 rev.A from: HERE

Download and save to a location of your choice.
To keep it simple, save to your C: drive.

Power on your DIR-878 wireless router.
Connect only your computer to the DIR-878 using a network cable.
Until the wireless router is completely configured,
Do NOT connect the DIR-878 to a modem.
Do NOT update the firmware using a wireless connection.

Open up Firefox web browser,
*Firefox specifically mentioned since problems from using Chrome is not unusual. Some router manufacturers specifically state as such.
Enter 192.168.0.1 to access the DIR-878,
If required, the username should be Admin and there is no password.
Click Management, a submenu will open, click Upgrade

In the Upgrade Manually section,
Click Select File, then browse to your C: location and click/select the dd-wrt factory-to-ddwrt.bin file,
Click Upload,
A window will appear displaying the percentage that the upgrade process completed.
The process will take some time.
Do NOT power off the router during the procedure.
If power is interrupted during the process, the router will likely be "bricked"

After the firmware update process is complete,
Open up your Firefox web browser,
Enter 192.168.1.1 in your navigation toolbar to access your router's dd-wrt control panel,
Page will display with three boxes, filled with 16 dots, those requiring Router Username, Router Password and Re-enter to confirm
Type in admin for all three boxes,
Then click Change Password, which will take you to dd-wrt System Information page,
Start configuring your DIR-878 wireless router with dd-wrt...
Last edited by Warlock on Jan 5th, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1403 posts
1185 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Debating if I want/need this.

My Archer C7 on openwrt is having issues staying connected to my cameras. I have two connected and they're sometimes unreachable unless I reset the router.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
If you're using a stable build of OpenWRT and a reset corrects the issue, suspicion would be dying hardware.

To eliminate whether it is hardware or software, since you are already familiar with OpenWRT,
The LEDE firmware, specifically r00t build of LEDE, may be of interest.
If problems persists with LEDE,
That would definitely point to hardware failure.
Sep 2, 2017
842 posts
1015 upvotes
Ontario
Warlock wrote: For those using the stock D-Link firmware,
Keep in mind that the KRACK security issue has not been dealt with.
D-Link just released a beta firmware in the past few hours, dealing with the KRACK security issue but that is for US region DIR-878 routers.
They posted the following "The beta firmware will be followed up by a fully quality test release in approximately 4 weeks"
Do you know if dd-wrt firmware has the krack fix?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Yes.
Fix already included in current/mentioned firmware build.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2795 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Continuation from post #34 above,

Some basic settings that may apply to users of dd-wrt,

Click the Setup tab, which will result in a pop-up window.
Window will require User Name and Password,
Type in admin for both, then click OK, which results in the Setup page displayed.
In the Connection Type, select according to your ISP plan.
e.g. For internet connection via cable, leave the default Automatic configuration - DHCP. If connection is through a phone line, click/select PPPoE
Router Name: DD-WRT is typically displayed by default but users can enter whatever you wish to name your router.
Static DNS 1: If desired, enter 1.1.1.1 or your preferred DNS server
Static DNS 2: If desired, enter 1.0.0.1 or your preferred DNS server
Time Zone: Select time zone of your location. e.g. Canada/Eastern for Toronto
Server IP/Name: Enter 0.ca.pool.ntp.org or your own preferred NTP server info.

Click Save,
Wait until page finishes refreshing itself, when the buttons at the bottom returns to colour,
Click Apply Settings.

Wireless Physical Interface wl0 [2.4 GHz TurboQAM] - MT7615 802.11ac section,

Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed unless you have some ancient wireless device using B
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Enter your desired SSID for you r 2.4GHz wireless. e.g. My 2.4GHz
Wireless Channel: Leave it on Auto or select channel 1, 6 or 11. Whichever provides the best performance in your location.

Wireless Physical Interface wl1 [5 GHz/802.11ac] - MT7615 802.11ac section,

Wireless Network Mode: AC/N-Mixed
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Enter your desired SSID for your 5GHz wireless. e.g. My 5GHz wireless
Wireless Channel: Leave it to Auto or select whichever channel provides the best performance for you.

Click Save, then Apply Settings.

Click Wireless Security tab,
Wireless Security wl0 section,

Security Mode: WPA2-PSK unless you happen to have some ancient device.
Note: In September 2018?, the dd-wrt developer(s) has renamed the original WPA2 Personal to WPA2-PSK

WPA Shared Key: Enter a strong password containing upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols. e.g. 2017@RedFlag!

Click Save, then click Apply Settings

Wireless Security wl1 section,

Security Mode: WPA2-PSK unless you happen to have some ancient device.
WPA Shared Key: Enter a strong password containg upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols. e.g. 2017@RedFlag!

Click Services tab,
Click Adblock tab,
Privoxy: E̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶

Due to reports of bugs using Privoxy with dd-wrt, enabling of Privoxy no longer recommended.

Click Security tab,
Impede WAN DoS/Bruteforce section,
Check the following:

Limit SSH Access
Limit Telnet Access
Limit PPTP Server Access
Limit FTP Server Access

Click Administration tab,
Router Management section,
Router Username: Change the default admin to something that you desire.
Router Password: Change the default admin to something that you desire.

Click Keep Alive tab,
Schedule Reboot section,
Click Enable, then select how frequently you want the router to reboot automatically
or
At a set Time of your preference. Specific time and day of the week or specific time Everyday.

Hopefully with so much typing, I have not made a boo-boo somewhere. :)

UPDATE

The release 10-10-2018-r37305 appears to be fairly stable.
The few releases previously, encountered reboots.

Under Wireless Security tab, label WPA2 Personal is now name WPA2-PSK
Suggest that users disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine, listed under Setup tab > Basic Setup.

For those who like to tweak,
May want to enable and adjust QoS to deal with Bufferbloat.

EDIT: Due to reports of bugs using Privoxy with dd-wrt, enabling of Privoxy no longer recommended.
EDIT: Changed DNS servers.
Last edited by Warlock on Nov 18th, 2018 10:04 am, edited 9 times in total.