[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2236 posts
1105 upvotes
Markham

[Amazon.ca] D-Link Outdoor Smart Plug, 2 sockets plus USB $29.99

Hi All,

I saw that there was a deal for TP-Link Kasa outdoor plug for 27.99 few days ago, which is now expired
amazon-ca-kasa-smart-outdoor-plug-tp-li ... #p32748479
I was hesitant to pull the trigger because the plug to the outlet doesn't have a 90 degrees bend. It wouldn't fit my outlet box(w/lock) outside my house.

Amazon has a deal today with D-Link outdoor smart plug for 29.99
This one has the 90 degree bend and also an extra USB port which I think is a nice addition. Charge your phone when you are working in the backyard or charging USB speakers for backyard BBQ etc
Amazon D-Link Sale

Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 24th, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
25 replies
Oct 17, 2005
335 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!

I prefer the 90 degree bend and additional usb but I simply don't want another app installed as i already have a bunch of other Kasa smart plugs and switches. Just my 2 cents
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
Hrmm... This is tempting - I've been looking for a smart plug for some outdoor lighting, this would be just the ticket - if I can connect it to my Smartthings.
Feb 25, 2003
433 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
Kasa app is very nice. How does D-Link compare?
Sep 15, 2004
324 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Would have preferred Kasa as I already have the app along with other smart switches. Not interested in another app to control smart plugs...
Nov 16, 2015
580 posts
1096 upvotes
Toronto, ON
reviews are...... mixed.

i'm like blazer7 and don't want another app on my phone. i'll wait for the tp link to go on sale again
Sep 30, 2015
600 posts
857 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mybadreligon wrote: Friends don't let friends buy D-Link
Are they that bad? I also like that it had the 90 degree bend but if people think the TP link is that much better I will just wait.
Dec 25, 2006
557 posts
432 upvotes
Ottawa
I've never had a good experience with D-Link, ever. They notoriously drop their connection, and require consistent reboots. Just my experience...but I am definitely not alone.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3365 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
Is there some sort of dumb version of this? Need to get access to an outlet behind the couch and something like this would be perfect for me with with usb for devices and outlet for laptops etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2236 posts
1105 upvotes
Markham
It's hard to say. I personally don't have good experiences with dlink networking stuff in the last few years
I feel that all of these outdoor plugs have similar connectivity.

This is not something that you need constant connection anyways, turns on and off, that's it. In absolutely worse case scenario, I just manually flip the switch

With regards to an extra app, I think once you get it hooked up and added dlink skill to your Amazon echo or google home, you don't need the app on your phone anymore I think
Apr 6, 2009
92 posts
6 upvotes
toronto
Need / Want the Meross outdoor outlet....37.99....hoping for a price drop!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3638 posts
1841 upvotes
GTA
undacova wrote: Is there some sort of dumb version of this? Need to get access to an outlet behind the couch and something like this would be perfect for me with with usb for devices and outlet for laptops etc
So...a power bar?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3365 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
ADRiiAN` wrote: So...a power bar?
Lol true I can use that for some reason I was thinking a similar design as this but not a full power bar if that makes sense
Jan 13, 2019
181 posts
257 upvotes
King31 wrote: Are they that bad? I also like that it had the 90 degree bend but if people think the TP link is that much better I will just wait.
I'll admit I haven't used this device, but every experience I have had with a D-Link product, EVER, has resulted in me going to another brand. Generally my issue has been that D-Link equipment doesn't play nice with other brands so maybe this is okay if you already have a D-Link router. That said, I still think the TP-Link would be an upgrade.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3086 posts
1650 upvotes
Canada
Both the questions asked on Amazon and the reviews confirm what people are saying in this thread - stay away.
Nov 13, 2018
516 posts
1232 upvotes
blazer7 wrote: Thanks OP!

I prefer the 90 degree bend and additional usb but I simply don't want another app installed as i already have a bunch of other Kasa smart plugs and switches. Just my 2 cents
To be fair if your have a Google Home or similar, the multiple app thing isn't really an issue as you control it all through the Google home app / commands.

I've got... Belkin Wemo, PrimeWire, CE Smart, Nest, August, Twinkly, and YeeLight devices and I haven't opened those apps since connecting them to my Google Home account.
Sep 7, 2014
643 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy D-link for the first time.....you wont buy it again!