29 posts
5 upvotes
QC

D-LINK Wireless AC1200 Router (DIR-850L) $49.95

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
50%
Camel shows that this router is at historical low price. Seems to be a good one.
It has 5G channel. So if you are surrounded by 2.4G wifi or needs high speed in short distance, it will be a nice choice.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1958 posts
1970 upvotes
Montreal
How is the wifi signal ? Planning to upgrade from the crappy Netis4422 from Carrytel
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6748 posts
6998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bessem wrote: How is the wifi signal ? Planning to upgrade from the crappy Netis4422 from Carrytel
Imo range is not the best, but sufficient for small to medium sized homes. Speed is good, as is stability.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jul 1, 2009
264 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
Have it at home. Rock solid for me both on N and AC frequencies. No range problems in mid-size home and speed is good and stable. Never need to reboot. Paid 50 $ for it too.
Nov 27, 2003
295 posts
106 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with VPN enabling firmware (like tomato or dd-wrt)?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2539 posts
1726 upvotes
GTA
Did a search on this router as I wanted to make sure DD-WRT is supported. Looking at this response, I think I'll pass:

The D-Link routers ending in "L" seem to be the "lite" versions of the routers, relying on the Realtek SoCs and a very tiny amount of flash.

The DIR-850L is profoundly under-resourced to run DD-WRT.

DD-WRT will not run in anything less than 4 MB of flash. While they did have a "micro" version for some older Linksys WRT devices, they have stopped bothering making builds than can fit in such a small space.

Principal DD-WRT developer Brainslayer says that "[T]here will not be [a Realtek port because] Realtek boards are slow, the radio is crap and 2 mb flash is even not worth to port it."
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10585 posts
2965 upvotes
Winnipeg
Britex wrote: Did a search on this router as I wanted to make sure DD-WRT is supported. Looking at this response, I think I'll pass:

The D-Link routers ending in "L" seem to be the "lite" versions of the routers, relying on the Realtek SoCs and a very tiny amount of flash.

The DIR-850L is profoundly under-resourced to run DD-WRT.

DD-WRT will not run in anything less than 4 MB of flash. While they did have a "micro" version for some older Linksys WRT devices, they have stopped bothering making builds than can fit in such a small space.

Principal DD-WRT developer Brainslayer says that "[T]here will not be [a Realtek port because] Realtek boards are slow, the radio is crap and 2 mb flash is even not worth to port it."
The l means lite? where is the documantation for that? Cause their is no 850 non l, nor 860 non l, nor 868 non l, nor 880 non l. The 868 is the liter version of 880 and their both labeled with l

You just don't want a rtl soc and the 850l is just that. Now the 860l is a decent router according to alot of dd-wrt users. The version B1 seems to be better than version a1. The difference being the soc a1=broadcom,b1=mtk. So thats kinda weird that users of dd-wrt feel that the B1 runs it better than broadcom version.
As far as I could find version b1 is the only known dual core mediatek gigabit router available in NA. Similar chipset combos have been found in only extenders or without gigabit and small ram and rom devices. But the 860l version b1 seems to be the exception. Maybe available but impossible to find.