• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2021 1:56 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
399 posts
973 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] De Buyer Mineral B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 14-Inch - $105.25

Not super hot, but we've been waiting for it to go down, best price seen this year anyway.

Carbon steel is great. Will never go back to a non-stick pan, ever.
24 replies
Nov 9, 2014
197 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have a flat top electric stove, carbon steel is safer than cast iron
Sep 23, 2018
118 posts
112 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thedealhunter2000 wrote: ?

What do you mean? How is it safer then cast iron? Link/source?
Maybe he means the weight of it dropping on the glass.
Apr 7, 2015
704 posts
676 upvotes
Vancouver Island
KingsleyW41998 wrote: Maybe he means the weight of it dropping on the glass.
That combined with the rougher bottom also leads to increased scratching, and deep scratches make cracking more likely in the future.
Nov 9, 2014
197 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thedealhunter2000 wrote: ?

What do you mean? How is it safer then cast iron? Link/source?
Safer for the stove top as carbon steel has a smooth bottom and won't easily crack/scratch your cook top
Apr 8, 2021
282 posts
246 upvotes
Montreal
7.78 lbs, this is a heavy one!

I looooove carbon steel tho
'2003
Nov 9, 2014
197 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BeefOreo wrote: 7.78 lbs, this is a heavy one!

I looooove carbon steel tho
Sometimes smaller is better. I have the 12.5 one myself
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1201 posts
1375 upvotes
Knowhere
Too heavy to handle, more heavier with food. Too heavy for the sink, for anyone at home to carry in the kitchen around.....
Jun 23, 2010
347 posts
238 upvotes
North York
I have the 12.5 inch version and I can only hold it in one hand for about 20 seconds. You'll definitely need a large spoon to get the cooked food off the 14 inch version. I usually use a large spoon to get food off the 12 inch version. I weigh about 127 lbs with average arm strength.
Check my user name on eBay
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2709 posts
531 upvotes
badbeerbreath wrote: Carbon steel is great. Will never go back to a non-stick pan, ever.
Are you cooking eggs in yours? Can never get scrambled eggs out cleanly.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
399 posts
973 upvotes
Calgary
We have the 9" and 12.5" also. I like a good fried steak once in a while and find the 12.5" gets a bit tight if you want to anything more than two smallish steaks at a time. The 14" should be great for three good size.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
399 posts
973 upvotes
Calgary
e-man wrote: Are you cooking eggs in yours? Can never get scrambled eggs out cleanly.
Sure do. I just make sure the pan is good and hot, heat up lots of butter and scramble away. Sometimes a little sticks I guess, but yeah lots of melted butter works for me.
Apr 7, 2015
704 posts
676 upvotes
Vancouver Island
e-man wrote: Are you cooking eggs in yours? Can never get scrambled eggs out cleanly.
Are you properly seasoning the pan and preheating it? You can definitely made scrambled eggs in cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel all without sticking if you know the technique
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1626 posts
258 upvotes
The extra handle on the big pan is nice. I have the deeper version to use as a wok, rotating between my cast iron wok. I like the carbon one for heating up faster and cast one for holding heat. I can definite see the potential of this carbon steel pan warping temporarily or permanently if heated up unevenly. Both are not suitable for cooking with plenty of acidic liquids.
Jan 18, 2021
96 posts
150 upvotes
I could be wrong but I know Matfer pans warp on glass cook tops due to the heat distribution will this be the same case for de buyer?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5222 posts
4103 upvotes
Your pan is not hot enough. You need to heat up the pan until it start to smoke. Then take if off and add enough oil to coat the whole pan. I usually turn off the burner or move to another burner on low-med setting to continue cooking. Pan need to be hot enough to open up the pores so the oil can coat the surface evenly to get the non stick effect. It works with stainless steel pans too.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
399 posts
973 upvotes
Calgary
Just a thought after just finishing my eggs..I like them cracked and thrown in the pan like they're going to be fried eggs. Let them fry for maybe 15-20 seconds or so, then start scrambling. They separate from the pan easier than mixing then up right away like in a bowl first. Almost like scrambled fried eggs. Either way, make sure the pan and butter is good and hot as mentioned and they should be good no matter which method.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2709 posts
531 upvotes
AncientWords wrote: Are you properly seasoning the pan and preheating it? You can definitely made scrambled eggs in cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel all without sticking if you know the technique
Yeah. Seasoned fairly well. Not quite as good as this one (I can't get the sides to get that dark), but pretty good.
Sneakarus wrote: I could be wrong but I know Matfer pans warp on glass cook tops due to the heat distribution will this be the same case for de buyer?
I've had both. I've had two Matfers and they both warped while I was seasoning them on my induction. I brought the temp up slowly and it still warped. My de Buyer, however, is still perfectly flat. I actually measured the pan thickness and the Matfer is slightly thinner (like 0.5mm thinner), which is probably why it warped. It is a real shame because I would have chosen the Matfer over the de Buyer because doesn't have rivets and is lighter. But if it warped, it won't do you any good.
WL1980 wrote: Your pan is not hot enough. You need to heat up the pan until it start to smoke. Then take if off and add enough oil to coat the whole pan. I usually turn off the burner or move to another burner on low-med setting to continue cooking. Pan need to be hot enough to open up the pores so the oil can coat the surface evenly to get the non stick effect. It works with stainless steel pans too.
I usually try to make French-style scrambled eggs, which are cooked consistently over a much lower heat. Probably why it sticks. I will, however, try it on higher heat.

On a different note, I've seen a few videos/articles that suggest that olive oil is the way to cook scrambled eggs because of the reasons stated here.

If you are on the fence if this is a good pan to buy or not, I recommend it. I've got a nice tri-ply stainless steel pan that I used quite a bit. But since I got the carbon steel, I use the carbon steel a lot more than I would have guessed. One of the key reasons is that heats up faster than the stainless. I'm just not thoroughly convinced it is a replacement for non-stick. In addition to my own experiences with carbon, I can't help but wonder why so many TVs chefs still use non-stick instead of using carbon steel.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1166 posts
281 upvotes
e-man wrote:
If you are on the fence if this is a good pan to buy or not, I recommend it. I've got a nice tri-ply stainless steel pan that I used quite a bit. But since I got the carbon steel, I use the carbon steel a lot more than I would have guessed. One of the key reasons is that heats up faster than the stainless. I'm just not thoroughly convinced it is a replacement for non-stick. In addition to my own experiences with carbon, I can't help but wonder why so many TVs chefs still use non-stick instead of using carbon steel.
You can’t season a pan properly on an induction burner because the heat doesn’t go around the sides like with gas. You have to do it in the oven.

Tv chefs and restaurant cooks use aluminum non-stick because it heats faster, it is lighter and easier to maneuver, and they are a lot less expensive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)