Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

[dead] $7 - USB Type C Gen 2 Cable(3A), CableCreation 3.3FT - HOT

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 8:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Amazon.ca] [dead] $7 - USB Type C Gen 2 Cable(3A), CableCreation 3.3FT - HOT

Works fine, so far. Charges my Thinkpad X1. Only 9 left as of posting.

Hurry!
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on Jul 12th, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1673 posts
2052 upvotes
GTA
Never seen a screw lock on a usb cable before...

Which devices even have this feature built in?

Why does anyone even need it? It looks like it's only on one side...
Nov 7, 2011
865 posts
919 upvotes
British Columbia
SKill7 wrote: Never seen a screw lock on a usb cable before...

That's why it's 7 bucks.
Feb 12, 2014
815 posts
1727 upvotes
vancouver

most likely computers or laptops that are powered by usb c instead of the regular laptop power plug
the screw lock is prob so you don't trip on the cable and power down your laptop while working on like a several page essay or something.
but ive never seen a laptop with the screw hole tho
Last edited by AllanT232 on Jul 12th, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39293 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
AllanT232 wrote: most likely computers or laptops that are powered by usb c instead of the regular laptop power plug
the screw lock is prob so you don't trip on the cable and power down your laptop while working on like a several page essay or something.
even more of a reason not to have screw hole, you don't want to drag your laptop to the floor!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1948 upvotes
AllanT232 wrote: most likely computers or laptops that are powered by usb c instead of the regular laptop power plug
Unless you've taken the battery out or that it's completely dead, most laptops will be just fine if you disconnect the power momentarily. Also, I'd be more concerned about dragging the entire laptop onto the floor if my power cable was screwed in. There's a reason why Macbooks and Surfaces (at least on older models) used magnetic connectors on their power cables.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2801 posts
2609 upvotes
YYZ
deal is dead. oos
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR

This is the only thing I could find.
VS1218-FT5-Machine_Vision_101-p3-Type_C.jpg
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1673 posts
2052 upvotes
GTA
AllanT232 wrote:

most likely computers or laptops that are powered by usb c instead of the regular laptop power plug
Nikhilvoid wrote: It's a feature not a bug. I'm sure there's some device out there, or maybe they sell a laptop stand to go with this.

Here's another: https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Lo ... B07T7TNJCC

They're saying it will reduce strain on the cable.
This is a bad idea. I'd much rather the cable break off then to drag my laptop down to the ground.

I'm actually thankful that my laptop cable breaks off when I accidentally trip over it.

Design flaw imo
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Haz wrote: This is the only thing I could find.
VS1218-FT5-Machine_Vision_101-p3-Type_C.jpg
Yeah, that's probably the use they had in mind.

Anyway, reported as expired
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1673 posts
2052 upvotes
GTA
ShinNoodles wrote: Unless you've taken the battery out or that it's completely dead, most laptops will be just fine if you disconnect the power momentarily. Also, I'd be more concerned about dragging the entire laptop onto the floor if my power cable was screwed in. There's a reason why Macbooks and Surfaces (at least on older models) used magnetic connectors on their power cables.
I have a surface pro and surface laptop. Do you know if that was really a factor behind the design?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1948 upvotes
SKill7 wrote: I have a surface pro and surface laptop. Do you know if that was really a factor behind the design?
I'm pretty sure it was a consideration in the design. Magnetic connectors are used to achieve a couple of things: 1. make it easier to connect; user don't have to know precisely where the plug is, the magnet usually takes care of that. 2. prevent wear/tear/damage of the connector from users forcing the connector in. 3. disconnects relatively easily if someone trips/yanks the cable.

The unfortunate thing is that there is no standard for the magnetic connector, so every manufacture has their own proprietary connector.
Jun 17, 2018
766 posts
1438 upvotes
That screw reminds me of the screws on connectors for video cables such as VGA cables and DVI cables. Typically, the connector on the monitor side has screws to keep it firmly seated since the connector usually plugs into the underside of the monitor and bears the weight of the cable making it prone to detachment. The connector on the laptop side plugs in sideways and users will often want to unplug the cable from the laptop anyway so that they can take the laptop with them, so screws are not needed on that connector. This cable may have been designed to connect a laptop with a monitor.