Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

[DEAD] Breville BREBES001XL Mini Espresso Knock Box ($19.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2021 6:05 pm
Jul 20, 2007
620 posts
385 upvotes
Is this really needed? I just bang mine against the side of the garage bin.
Sep 5, 2008
952 posts
1025 upvotes
Port Moody
I have this... and use it way more than I thought I would. It's super convenient.
Nov 26, 2014
18 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Alias wrote: Is this really needed? I just bang mine against the side of the garage bin.
It's good if you don't want to have your portafilter near a garbage bin.
Jul 20, 2014
28 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How often are you guys emptying it...when it's full? Doesn't it get all moldy by then? We currently just use our green bin because that gets emptied way more frequently.
Sep 17, 2019
103 posts
90 upvotes
I just want to add that having a wet puck is totally normal if your espresso machine doesn't have a 3-way solenoid that would open up and draw moisture back into the machine and out to the tray after your shot.
Machines like the Breville express has this.
Jun 12, 2014
121 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
chopsticks comes very handy than anything
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1136 posts
202 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Love mine, even cheaper than when I got it
Dec 13, 2020
265 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PBandK wrote: How often are you guys emptying it...when it's full? Doesn't it get all moldy by then? We currently just use our green bin because that gets emptied way more frequently.
I empty it whenever it reaches 5-6 pucks or its been 2-3 days, whichever comes first. I certainly don't wait to fill it up
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9897 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I have one of these and never use it, my kitchen trash can is close to my coffee station and my PF never falls in, I just snap my wrist and the puck empties, the can is beside the sink and I rinse/clean the PF right after.

I guess if you make a bunch of espressos through the day or for guests at one time, it's a good collector.
Aug 23, 2005
184 posts
24 upvotes
I think deal is dead. Back to $30. Would have grabbed it for $20
Jul 20, 2007
620 posts
385 upvotes
Favelax895 wrote: It's good if you don't want to have your portafilter near a garbage bin.
I’m OK with it :)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1258 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
No way.... I added it to my cart, walked away for 1 min and the price went up!

LOL - thanks for sharing OP, hope I get one later....
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Koodo $40 6GB plan + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
7019 posts
7173 upvotes
Downtown Canada
If you make espresso, get this, it's an absolute must. I didn't have it for th first 2 years of owning my Breville XL, but once I got it, it changed my life. My wife doesn't have to clean my mess after and my kitchen sink is always clean. If I can maintain my relationship healthy, so can you. This is TransporterSDs must have item.
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines

Fringe Minority
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
7019 posts
7173 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Favelax895 wrote: It's good if you don't want to have your portafilter near a garbage bin.
Yep and some of them come out and end up in a garbage. Digging in your own garbage is fun, but at work no so much
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines

Fringe Minority
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16688 posts
11412 upvotes
Markham
MaximC25163 wrote: I use Cafe Roma, and there is no way coffee comes out by tapping. I have to wash it out with water. Probably works with more powerful machines.
You might be tamping too much if a "knock" or "tapping" doesn't work. Consider grinding finer so you don't have to tamp so hard.

If you're washing the grinds out with water, you're running the grinds down your drain and don't be surprised you get clog at some time in the future. At my office, the landlord had to spend a lot of money once to clean the drains because one of his tenants was running the grinds down the drain.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 13, 2020
51 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote: You might be tamping too much if a "knock" or "tapping" doesn't work. Consider grinding finer so you don't have to tamp so hard.

If you're washing the grinds out with water, you're running the grinds down your drain, and don't be surprised you get clogged at some time in the future. At my office, the landlord had to spend a lot of money once to clean the drains because one of his tenants was running the grinds down the drain.
Good point about the drain, need to consider that.

Also, let me try to not tamp too hard, I thought the harder I tamp, the better.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
Alias wrote: Is this really needed? I just bang mine against the side of the garage bin.
to be honest I don't really get why or how people use the knock boxes. I have kind of like a wooden stick next to my coffee machine. so I emptry the coffee cup by scrapping it with a stick out in a special bucket I keep for ground coffee. then I take it to the backyard and mix with soil for planting stuff.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16688 posts
11412 upvotes
Markham
MaximC25163 wrote: Good point about the drain, need to consider that.

Also, let me try to not tamp too hard, I thought the harder I tamp, the better.
Harder/more tamping pressure is not necessarily better. You need to balance between grind and tamp and bean and extraction time etc. This is also dependent on your machine. Way too long a discussion to have and everyone has different opinions/thoughts etc....you can google if you want to go down that rabbit hole. Added to that you might not even be able to differentiate difference in taste.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16688 posts
11412 upvotes
Markham
elfion wrote: to be honest I don't really get why or how people use the knock boxes. I have kind of like a wooden stick next to my coffee machine. so I emptry the coffee cup by scrapping it with a stick out in a special bucket I keep for ground coffee. then I take it to the backyard and mix with soil for planting stuff.
Just hold a spoon or fork with one end down and planted and knock the portafilter onto the handle and the puck should extract itself relatively cleanly. If you gotta scrape it out, you're probably tamping too hard like the other person.

Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Just hold a spoon or fork with one end down and planted and knock the portafilter onto the handle and the puck should extract itself relatively cleanly. If you gotta scrape it out, you're probably tamping too hard like the other person.
Maybe