Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

De'Longhi EC685M Dedica DeLuxe Pump Espresso Machine - $299.99(12%OFF)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 12:36 am
[OP]
Aug 19, 2021
21 posts
162 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] De'Longhi EC685M Dedica DeLuxe Pump Espresso Machine - $299.99(12%OFF)

The controls are straightforward and easy to use, it is important to regularly clean the filters and the milk frother to ensure nothing plugs up.
Thread Summary
Looking for a new coffee maker? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best espresso machines!
14 replies
May 15, 2009
196 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
Not the exact same model as OP.
EC680M vs EC685M
Aug 22, 2012
403 posts
380 upvotes
I know absolutely nothing about these, but my partner wants one for her birthday in mid October. She showed me some on Amazon for under 100, but obviously I'd like to get her a decent mid-range bang for your buck one

What should I be looking for?

I found this on clearance from the above link, same brand

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/delo ... c=true#spc
May 5, 2016
200 posts
108 upvotes
Enforcer22 wrote: I know absolutely nothing about these, but my partner wants one for her birthday in mid October. She showed me some on Amazon for under 100, but obviously I'd like to get her a decent mid-range bang for your buck one

i've got a legacy Delonghi EC155, which appears pretty similar to the ECP 3420 you found on CT. it's a pretty sweet machine if you ask me. it's reliable and pumps out some great espresso. i've got no issues with the milk frother either.

the better machines are pump driven, rather than steam driven. 15 psi is pretty good from what i understand. but i ain't no expert. i'll let the other RFD'ers chime in. :)

my sister's got a crazy $2000 Jura machine, and that thing is just insane. it does more milk-based cappuciuno type drinks and it does it extremely consistently. my little guy still does very comparable espresso though. milk-based drinks probably not as good as the expensive machine, but heh... it's like 20x the price!
Mar 27, 2021
254 posts
331 upvotes
MIDRANGE = waste of money

Spend either under $120 or over $500.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Mar 6, 2006
434 posts
96 upvotes
Kelowna
restartRFD wrote: MIDRANGE = waste of money

Spend either under $120 or over $500.
Could you suggest an under $120 machine? I am happy with my Breville Barista Expresso at home, but want something that I can leave at the cabin.
Nov 20, 2017
734 posts
540 upvotes
Enforcer22 wrote: I know absolutely nothing about these, but my partner wants one for her birthday in mid October. She showed me some on Amazon for under 100, but obviously I'd like to get her a decent mid-range bang for your buck one

The Dedica takes up a very small footprint on the counter. I've had mine 1.5 years... I use distilled water in it to avoid calcification. It's pricey but the extra real estate on the counter is worth a lot to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1732 posts
1098 upvotes
Quebec

For the same price, I would go with the Breville Bambino instead, which goes on sale regularly.
Mar 27, 2021
254 posts
331 upvotes
weekendwally wrote: Could you suggest an under $120 machine? I am happy with my Breville Barista Expresso at home, but want something that I can leave at the cabin.
Keep an eye out for any Delonghi under $120, Bed Bath and Beyond with stacked coupons or Kitchen Stuff Plus usually has one for $99.

I had one for $89 from KSP and it was solid for 3 years, and then I sold it for $40. I had the Dedica and it died after a year, fried itself and the seals went bad. It was great when it worked to be honest, small footprint, looks great, easy to program and customize.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14833 posts
9118 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This seems to put out 13-15 bar pressure (ideal=9) which will channel higher acidity sourness, confirmed in Hoffman’s vid. Maybe it drops at the group head? idk. If not, you won’t be able to use a bottomless portafilter nor take advantage of RFD fresh roaster deals because they are typically light roasted/higher acidity to begin with. Sounds like he said the shot is cool so probably in the 80’s which is a less sweet shot, temp cannot be adjusted. Not a great extraction in general. The longevity of this machine is also questionable based on reviews and Redditors. It’s probably fine though taste-wise if you don’t drink straight espressos and usually mix in sugars and milk/foam. A decent burr grinder is still recommended.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2348 posts
2014 upvotes
Ottawa
Last year (I think around black friday), this went down to around $230 at most retailers, and if you were lucky you could get it from Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon, bringing it under $200.

BBB messed up my order and shipped me the wrong product and then ran out of stock before they could confirm I returned the wrong product so I'm still really mad at them lol. But I decided to go ahead and get this from Best Buy for $230 - and I've used it daily ever since. As mentioned, it's simple and straightforward to use and has a small footprint on your counter. For a beginner like me, I'm really happy with it!
I am a current Koodo customer
Jan 19, 2007
977 posts
838 upvotes
I know we don't have a time machine but a few weeks ago the same unit was at Walmart for $189 and as low as $80 in some areas. Then shot back up to $279.
Oct 23, 2012
98 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
AncasterRFD wrote: This seems to put out 13-15 bar pressure (ideal=9) which will channel higher acidity sourness, confirmed in Hoffman’s vid. Maybe it drops at the group head? idk. If not, you won’t be able to use a bottomless portafilter nor take advantage of RFD fresh roaster deals because they are typically light roasted/higher acidity to begin with. Sounds like he said the shot is cool so probably in the 80’s which is a less sweet shot, temp cannot be adjusted. Not a great extraction in general. The longevity of this machine is also questionable based on reviews and Redditors. It’s probably fine though taste-wise if you don’t drink straight espressos and usually mix in sugars and milk/foam. A decent burr grinder is still recommended.
I have one of these. Bottomless portafilter is doable but it's a lot of work esp for lighter roasts like you mentioned so I mostly stick with medium/dark. temp adjustment is also possible with temp surfing but have to do a lot of experimentation to get it right the first time but once you have your routine it should be ok. I can get mine up to low 90s with a few blank shots but it's time consuming. The space saving part is the big plus for me as I don't have a whole lot of counter space. And it's also a good beginner espresso machine I feel as you can then know what to look for on that next upgrade. Pressurized is also good enough if you tend to mix with with milk/foam. I find the froth wand to be a bit more than adequate for foamy drinks like cappuccino but terrible if you want to do some latte art.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14833 posts
9118 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Bambino is 9 bar at the group head, often a top pick for beginner, it's ready to go in 3s. Run blank shots and/or do milk first to heat it up higher if desired before making espresso. I'd shoot for that sale over this. Good instructions here on getting milk right/glossy for latte art: