• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2020 9:42 am
[OP]
Oct 24, 2010
322 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater - $118.30

De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater, Quiet 1500W, Adjustable Thermostat, 3 Heat Settings, Timer, Energy Saving, Safety Features, Nice for Home with Pets/Kids, White, Dragon TRD40615ECA on sale for $118.30 on Amazon, Reg price $165.

According to CCC, $118 is the new lowest price

I just pulled the trigger on this unit, but let me know if there's something better.
26 replies
Dec 24, 2017
478 posts
815 upvotes
lel
This looks pretty great. If you're using it regularly, its probably worth it to fork out the extra little bit for these features. I am stuck with an ancient one that makes me feel like I'm on the inside of a toaster with its dry, orange glow
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4423 posts
1640 upvotes
Had a no name oil filled radiator and they just take wayyyy too long to heat up the room, but obviously once it gets there it's great. It's just generally speaking you're not in the same room with a closed door long enough so unless you're using it for sleep, need it for a garage/attic (perma warmed), or you're just generally amazing at pre-planning and turning it on potentially hours before you use a room then you may just want a more immediate blower space heater.

I'm sure this De'Longhi is way better than my no name, but at the end of the day 1500W is 1500W. Thankfully it's Amazon so if you're curious just give it a try anyways and return if you need to.
Last edited by RiCHC3 on Feb 6th, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 5, 2007
220 posts
160 upvotes
Down by the river
At 20 cents a kilowatt hour during the day in Ontario this is 30 cents hour to run, adds up pretty quickly.
Jun 26, 2007
884 posts
616 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: Had a no name oil filled radiator and they just take wayyyy too long to heat up the room, but obviously once it gets there it's great. It's just generally speaking you're not in the same room with a closed door long enough so unless you're using it for sleep, need it for a garage, or you're just generally amazing at pre-planning and turning it on potentially hours before you use a room then you may just want a more immediate blower space heater.

I'm sure this De'Longhi is way better than my no name, but at the end of the day 1500W is 1500W. Thankfully it's Amazon so if you're curious just give it a try anyways and return if you need to.
It's unlikely this will heat up much faster. Oil-filled heaters require time to heat up because of the oil. If you want speed, don't get oil-filled. What you really want an oil-filled heater for is the safety factor. The exterior will never get dangerously hot and tipping it over won't burn down your house like some of the cheaper kinds of electric heaters. A better brand is more likely to just mean it will last longer. A good quality electric heater can last a very long time.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13692 posts
4835 upvotes
Ottawa
cheers2 wrote: At 20 cents a kilowatt hour during the day in Ontario this is 30 cents hour to run, adds up pretty quickly.
We just run it at night and we only use the lowest setting to add a couple of degrees to the room.

I have this exact unit and it doesn’t seem to have a way to automatically run the same program every day. It has a timer but you have to actuate it every time. We have an older one that has a mechanical timer and it’s far more flexible to program, you can have it turn on or off many times during the day Automatically 7 days a week
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Mar 18, 2008
423 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Flunk wrote: It's unlikely this will heat up much faster. Oil-filled heaters require time to heat up because of the oil. If you want speed, don't get oil-filled. What you really want an oil-filled heater for is the safety factor. The exterior will never get dangerously hot and tipping it over won't burn down your house like some of the cheaper kinds of electric heaters. A better brand is more likely to just mean it will last longer. A good quality electric heater can last a very long time.
In addition to the benefits above, I find oil heaters don’t dry out the room as fast and as much as those fan heaters.
Sep 19, 2009
637 posts
512 upvotes
Ottawa
cheers2 wrote: At 20 cents a kilowatt hour during the day in Ontario this is 30 cents hour to run, adds up pretty quickly.
Love my oil heater. Efficiency wise, can't be beat. Takes a few minutes to get the oil hot, but once it's there, it cycles on and off as needed. The oil stays hot and warms the room nicely without drying it out and it's off most of the time so it's definitely a lot cheaper than 30 cents an hour to run.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1411 posts
411 upvotes
Abbotsford
Sounds like this may not be great for a garage/work shop use for a couple hours at a time
Mar 18, 2008
423 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
I was in the market for oil heaters 3-4 weeks ago as my fan heater was drying out our room too much and the heat was so “stuffy”.

I found this one from Costco on sale for $165 and bought two of them. I really like it because it has your typical safety features like tip over shutoff, overheat shutoff and an outer casing. It also has this recirculating feature which helps move the heat around the room. Also, other oil heaters look kinda clunky and ugly, but this one my wife approved.

Finally, my favourite feature is the day/night mode, where I can set a specific time when the heater would start turning on based on a temperature I set. For example, I tell it to drop to 21 degrees every night at 930pm and back up to 23 at 730am

https://www.costco.ca/mill-oil-1500-w-h ... 96229.html
Images
  • 993ED34A-2551-4A24-97F2-C3314E480BC5.png
Mar 18, 2008
423 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
oakjefferson wrote: Sounds like this may not be great for a garage/work shop use for a couple hours at a time
Not unless you get a wifi plug where you can turn it on 30 minutes beforehand.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2765 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
oakjefferson wrote: Sounds like this may not be great for a garage/work shop use for a couple hours at a time
Correct. Oil radiator heaters are for heating up a room slowly and quietly maintaining temperature. For a garage/workshop you would probably want a fan heater to warm up the air quickly if it's a reasonably small space, or a radiant heater to quickly heat all the surfaces in a specific area of a larger space where it would take too long to warm up the whole space.
Nov 23, 2004
406 posts
573 upvotes
Ontario
typhooney wrote: Not unless you get a wifi plug where you can turn it on 30 minutes beforehand.
And let me follow this suggestion with an important safety rating - check the max amperage of your wifi plug if plugging heaters into them. Not all of them are a simple 15A pass through, a lot of the cheaper amazon ones that get recommended here often can't do more than 10A or slightly more. My rough calculations show this heater could push close to 13A at the fully rated wattage. Furthermore, a lot of those cheap amazon ones are cheap chinese brands that probably aren't properly certified here either, so your guess is as good as mine what happens when that amperage is pushed to it's limited.
Mar 18, 2008
423 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
mindabsence wrote: And let me follow this suggestion with an important safety rating - check the max amperage of your wifi plug if plugging heaters into them. Not all of them are a simple 15A pass through, a lot of the cheaper amazon ones that get recommended here often can't do more than 10A or slightly more. My rough calculations show this heater could push close to 13A at the fully rated wattage. Furthermore, a lot of those cheap amazon ones are cheap chinese brands that probably aren't properly certified here either, so your guess is as good as mine what happens when that amperage is pushed to it's limited.
Very good and very important point. I bought a few 20amp WiFi plugs from the US a while back but they are actually pretty hard to find in Canada.

You could use a relay as well, but that’s more work.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1497 posts
1135 upvotes
Tested with 2 Costco Delonghi heaters at home (2 bd) and compared to the built-in HVAC, to maintain a 23C temp in the condo the cost would be 3x the cost of the HVAC. Yes, you get humidity preserved (as opposed to the forced air HVAC that dries the air) but the cost is 3x higher than the HVAC.