• Apr 8th, 2021 8:23 am
[OP]
Oct 9, 2015
84 posts
152 upvotes
Brantford, ON

[Amazon.ca] DEWALT PEX Expander $325

DEWALT DCE400B 20V Max 1" PEX Expander Tool, Bare Tool
Works with existing Dewalt batteries - not included.

This is CHEAP for a good pex expander - plumbers and reno-types who do this work from time to time will know what this is and the relative value.
With battery is often sold for $500-600CDN.
For the uninitiated - most homes are built now with flexible pex tubing instead of copper. This tool is how to connect the tubing to other fittings and fixtures. Resale should be quite robust even if you only use it a few times instead of a rental, unless dewalt has lowered their price.
Not for everyone but for those who know what it is, it's a good buy in my opinion.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 7th, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed retailer field so it's better for searches
29 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13191 posts
24060 upvotes
To be clear , you have to use Pex A for these expanders . Most people are more accustomed to Pex B ( for use with steel rings and crimping tool )
[OP]
Oct 9, 2015
84 posts
152 upvotes
Brantford, ON
stephroll wrote: To be clear , you have to use Pex A for these expanders . Most people are more accustomed to Pex B ( for use with steel rings and crimping tool )
Good tip. I've pretty much only seen pex-a in recent builds (but 20+ units), but that's because builder pal uses the same plumbing firm. Are production homes not using pex-a? The crimps and shark-bite, from everything I've studied (as a hobbyist to be fair) are no where near as reliable a fitting. Maybe a real plumber can chime in on the validity of that.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2139 posts
1366 upvotes
Kitchener
From a dyi perspective pex a is not as readily available and most likely only available from plumbing suppiers around you. From what I've seen some let the public buy and others require you to have a business.

Additionally unless you're doing a lot of plumbing over the course of a long time it's better off just to rent this tool at a local rental shop for me it was $45 per day and I needed it for 2 days.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1547 posts
872 upvotes
ooh, another tool to add to my collection... as soon as I find out what this is and what its used for...
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3399 posts
2204 upvotes
Montreal
ktkn wrote: ooh, another tool to add to my collection... as soon as I find out what this is and what its used for...
It makes smaller holes bigger.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5011 posts
1390 upvotes
Kitchener
Some Home Depots carry the expansion pex and fittings that are compatible with Uponor, so you don't need to buy from a plumbing wholesaler
Jun 7, 2013
64 posts
43 upvotes
Milwaukee without batteries is $319.00 at the depot.
It is a better brand in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1016 posts
476 upvotes
ktkn wrote: ooh, another tool to add to my collection... as soon as I find out what this is and what its used for...
Look up Uponor on YouTube.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1066 posts
488 upvotes
cripper wrote: Good tip. I've pretty much only seen pex-a in recent builds (but 20+ units), but that's because builder pal uses the same plumbing firm. Are production homes not using pex-a? The crimps and shark-bite, from everything I've studied (as a hobbyist to be fair) are no where near as reliable a fitting. Maybe a real plumber can chime in on the validity of that.
I am not a "real" plumber, but I made over 100 connections with a clamp tool and yet to make a single faulty connection that I would have to re-do. clamp is i a steel ring with a little thing that the tool squeezes. but I would agree that expansion connections are way cooler. for the next house I remodel I am thinking about using PEX-A. but honestly it's a bit hard to justify if you don't do this every day. clamp tool from ryobi is way way cheaper and works perfectly well, plus you can get all fittings and rings from the local HD, which makes things a lot easier than sourcing PEX-A.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1066 posts
488 upvotes
ashu123 wrote: Milwaukee without batteries is $319.00 at the depot.
for 319 you get just the tool, not only without the battery or the charger, but also without the expansion heads. those heads are extremely expensive.
[OP]
Oct 9, 2015
84 posts
152 upvotes
Brantford, ON
You don't get the heads with the Milwaukee. This is $300-400 cheaper as a result. Like I said, these are $600+ typically. Tool only means no battery, but the dewalt includes the expanders themselves.

https://www.amazon.ca/milwaukee-propex- ... nsion+tool
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5685 posts
5124 upvotes
Edmonton
jzmtl wrote: It makes smaller holes bigger.
Thanks. I already have a tool that does that.
Feb 7, 2007
278 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Having owned and used both brands, overall DeWalt is much better. Then again I'm not a plumber so I have no experience with their trade specific tools
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1066 posts
488 upvotes
weird, just 20 minutes ago this was showing list price 400 crossed out with a discount. right now it's showing 325 as a regular price. does this mean they will keep this as a regular price now?
Mar 28, 2011
182 posts
138 upvotes
Local Scotland
jzmtl wrote: It makes smaller holes bigger.
I can do this without this device help. ))))))))
Mar 28, 2011
182 posts
138 upvotes
Local Scotland
adamtheman wrote: Thanks. I already have a tool that does that.
I would by the tool with opposite force.. not for business, just for home use)))))
[OP]
Oct 9, 2015
84 posts
152 upvotes
Brantford, ON
elfion wrote: weird, just 20 minutes ago this was showing list price 400 crossed out with a discount. right now it's showing 325 as a regular price. does this mean they will keep this as a regular price now?
Seems odd to me if the price drops like that. I've never seen anything cheaper than 363 which was a previous amazon.ca price point a couple of times. Everywhere else it is quite a bit more expensive and not readily in stock. US prices, after exchange, are markedly higher too. I think you could resell these on ebay USD and make money TBH.
Mar 27, 2016
7 posts
3 upvotes
Excellent deal. This makes plumbing like putting together Lego. Pexhouse.com sells the F1960 fittings and pex-a.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2497 posts
769 upvotes
Gta
Sucks getting old....I read Dewalt pez dispenser Face With Tears Of Joy
Koodo member