• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2019 11:15 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2016
120 posts
101 upvotes
West Canada

[Amazon.ca] Diplomat Watch Winder - Double Watch 26.99

Lowest according to 3camels while their avg price is about $50ish.
Amat Victoria Curam
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
Great deal
I know that winders are mostly for convenience, and I don't think they are necessarily "good" for your watch, but they sure come in handy especially when you have a few watches
in heavy rotation.
Sep 16, 2012
199 posts
172 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
thanks and thanked, op! this is the lowest price ever!
Jan 26, 2006
14 posts
7 upvotes
Quebec City
thanks, jumped quick when the 3camels alert came out.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1951 posts
1552 upvotes
Not sure if others have had a different experience but each one of these I have bought or received as a gift have not lasted very long.
One died within the year I got it and the second developed into a noisy unit with continued use.

Manufacturer support is non-existent. At < $30 it is probably worth the gamble but don't expect much.
Jul 14, 2008
924 posts
1266 upvotes
Montreal
Seems like you get what you pay for. The reviews aren't so great, most saying this thing didn't last them more than a year. And that in dead silence, the noise it makes will drive you crazy. Something to consider if you have this in your bedroom.

I think i'll pass for now.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1849 posts
1542 upvotes
Waterloo
I've had mine for almost a year now. No crazy noise and still kicking.

Paid 50 something back then.
Sep 24, 2007
30 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Guys, am I blind? the links takes me to a $135 option.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2016
120 posts
101 upvotes
West Canada
ale2999 wrote: Guys, am I blind? the links takes me to a $135 option.
Guess Amazon ran out of stock
Amat Victoria Curam
Nov 10, 2002
349 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Wish I saw this earlier, nice find OP!.
Nov 24, 2007
365 posts
278 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've had one of these since December 2012 and it's still working fine. My Seamaster had a broken mainspring repaired under warranty before I bought the winder, but it's been fine since I started using it. The watch is always on the winder, and I wear it 3-6 days in any given week.

I've heard mixed opinions on using winders - it's always a trade off between the over-winding concern vs the wear & tear on the screw-down crown to reset the watch every time you wear it. Also, I've heard that changing the time between 10pm and 2am (on the watch) is not good for many watches because of the date mechanism, when it's dead you don't know if it died at 11pm or 11am so I guess you are taking a risk adjusting it. Having it always running eliminates this issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
orange260z wrote: I've heard mixed opinions on using winders - it's always a trade off between the over-winding concern vs the wear & tear on the screw-down crown to reset the watch every time you wear it. Also, I've heard that changing the time between 10pm and 2am (on the watch) is not good for many watches because of the date mechanism, when it's dead you don't know if it died at 11pm or 11am so I guess you are taking a risk adjusting it. Having it always running eliminates this issue.
A valid point about adjusting the time between 10:00pm and 2:00am.
I would say having a winder is pretty much mandatory for someone with a watch that has a calendar and or moon-phase complications, but if you can afford something like that, you would probably want to get a better winder.
For everyone else, I think it comes down to whether or not you are willing to put the extra miles on your watch for the sake of convenience. My first service was $800+, and made me re-evaluate using the winder I own.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5594 posts
1990 upvotes
orange260z wrote: I've had one of these since December 2012 and it's still working fine. My Seamaster had a broken mainspring repaired under warranty before I bought the winder, but it's been fine since I started using it. The watch is always on the winder, and I wear it 3-6 days in any given week.

I've heard mixed opinions on using winders - it's always a trade off between the over-winding concern vs the wear & tear on the screw-down crown to reset the watch every time you wear it. Also, I've heard that changing the time between 10pm and 2am (on the watch) is not good for many watches because of the date mechanism, when it's dead you don't know if it died at 11pm or 11am so I guess you are taking a risk adjusting it. Having it always running eliminates this issue.
All in all...it's really another knock on owning an automatic watch....there is just so much maintenance required for not great accuracy. I mean, I get the inherent beauty of the automatic, don't get me wrong. The horological history and the engineering behind them is fantastic...but the inaccuracy, and then maintenance....it's a bit of a bummer. Don't do this, don't do that. It's insane how accurate quartz watches are compared to automatics. Eco-drives can go anywhere from 10 to 20 years on a single battery and maintain incredible accuracy. Expensive automatics will be more accurate, but then will require at least two to four services in that same time period, each one costing a few hundred dollars if not more.

For those who don't rely on their watch to be accurate in telling time, and mainly just wear it for the aesthetics, then yeah that's a totally different ball game. But for those that like to know what time it is, accurate to within a minute or two....and not having to readjust the time every few weeks or even months...it's a big bummer :(

I just wish watch companies made solar powered watches like Eco-drives and Solars, with the same beautiful selection of styles and faces that Automatics have. That would be so awesome :D
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1951 posts
1552 upvotes
orange260z wrote: I've had one of these since December 2012 and it's still working fine. My Seamaster had a broken mainspring repaired under warranty before I bought the winder, but it's been fine since I started using it. The watch is always on the winder, and I wear it 3-6 days in any given week.

AFAIK this "best practice" only refers to:
1) adjusting the date and not the time
2) older movements however people still will steer clear of doing it with newer ones
Jun 19, 2010
530 posts
366 upvotes
Vancouver
aviator_13 wrote: Not sure if others have had a different experience but each one of these I have bought or received as a gift have not lasted very long.
One died within the year I got it and the second developed into a noisy unit with continued use.

Manufacturer support is non-existent. At < $30 it is probably worth the gamble but don't expect much.
I've had one running for the last 6 years no issue. It's a cheap watch winder but it does the trick.