[Amazon.ca] DJI Mavic Air Combo Black 4K Video $979.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 7:13 pm
[OP]
Jul 15, 2011
40 posts
99 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] DJI Mavic Air Combo Black 4K Video $979.99

See this drone on Amazon.ca. seems a good deal.

I purchased the pro model with an extra battery from best buy a couple of years ago. The price is around $1200. Very portal and stable during fly.

Only issue is, not many place can fly now..
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 21st, 2020 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added price to title
Thread Summary
49 replies
Nov 15, 2009
253 posts
556 upvotes
B.C.
I looked into these drones a few years ago and it was next to impossible to even fly these things - the rules are so insane now.

I imagine it hasn't improved much lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2563 posts
770 upvotes
GTA
I’d rather get the mavic mini. Portable and less rules to follow.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1010 posts
2190 upvotes
voucher21 wrote: I looked into these drones a few years ago and it was next to impossible to even fly these things - the rules are so insane now.

I imagine it hasn't improved much lol.
Easy to fly with some practice. But the laws are awful. They just now got worst in my area, it depend where you live.
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Nov 15, 2009
253 posts
556 upvotes
B.C.
InvaIid wrote: Easy to fly with some practice. But the laws are awful. They just now got worst in my area, it depend where you live.
Yeah I was talking about the laws/rules. The actual drones im sure are fun!
Apr 18, 2017
684 posts
1333 upvotes
voucher21 wrote: Yeah I was talking about the laws/rules. The actual drones im sure are fun!
I fly almost every weekend. No real restrictions in northern Ontario. Maybe in Metros, but most places in Canada are fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1160 posts
930 upvotes
User131439 wrote: I fly almost every weekend. No real restrictions in northern Ontario. Maybe in Metros, but most places in Canada are fine.
You'd have to be in remote northern Ontario to be legally allowed to fly it. You can't fly it anywhere "near" aka kilometres near airports, helipads; can't be anywhere close to buildings, homes, cars and definitely not people. The laws around drones make it impossible to fly one for recreation. You can only really fly it for commercial reasons so the government can collect those sweet, sweet NIMBY $$$.
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
User131439 wrote: I fly almost every weekend. No real restrictions in northern Ontario. Maybe in Metros, but most places in Canada are fine.
not even close. MAYBE you do and are lucky or in a remote area.... but risk of major fines and even jail time is there.....or maybe your drone is under the limits. Either way sounds like you know very little on the topic.

If anyone were to see you and complain, or if a cop or someone else saw....big time potential trouble.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... gally.html
Apr 1, 2019
9 posts
9 upvotes
I'm not sure what some people are talking about. Outside red/orange zones on this map restrictions are pretty minimal and common sense.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/

"Areas that require caution are shown in yellow. Areas that require permission are shown in orange and areas where drone flights are not permitted are shown in red."
Jun 23, 2017
200 posts
106 upvotes
Myles535 wrote: I'm not sure what some people are talking about. Outside red/orange zones on this map restrictions are pretty minimal and common sense.

"Areas that require caution are shown in yellow. Areas that require permission are shown in orange and areas where drone flights are not permitted are shown in red."
Totally forgot about this that weight of the drone alone does not matter! Just to confirm, can someone double check that I cannot pilot a Mavic Mini drone in postal code area L6Y0S5 right due to the red zone?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2275 posts
324 upvotes
Edmonton
Myles535 wrote: I'm not sure what some people are talking about. Outside red/orange zones on this map restrictions are pretty minimal and common sense.

Do you not need a license for a drone that has over 249g in weight to fly still? Or are you saying you don’t in areas that aren’t in red or yellow..?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3724 posts
5923 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please!
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9830 posts
9474 upvotes
Markham
refraxion wrote:
Do you not need a license for a drone that has over 249g in weight to fly still? Or are you saying you don’t in areas that aren’t in red or yellow..?
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Totally forgot about this that weight of the drone alone does not matter! Just to confirm, can someone double check that I cannot pilot a Mavic Mini drone in postal code area L6Y0S5 right due to the red zone?
I have a Mavic Air and I have the Basic Drone License. You cannot fly a drone in the NFZ / Controlled Airspace (red areas) regardless of the weight of your drone. The only way to fly in controlled airspace, is to have an Advanced Drone License and a permit. I'd like to clarify that there is a distinction between NFZ and controlled airspace. NFZ is a set amount of kilometers around an airport or helipad. That is no flying, period. Controlled airspace is different and can have drone flights provided you have the Advanced License and a pre-applied permit.

Edit: Clarification
Last edited by Anikiri on Apr 19th, 2020 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9830 posts
9474 upvotes
Markham
refraxion wrote: Do you not need a license for a drone that has over 249g in weight to fly still? Or are you saying you don’t in areas that aren’t in red or yellow..?
You need at least a Basic Drone License if you want to fly anything heavier than a Mavic Mini, such as the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Zoom, and Mavic Pro 2.

The Basic Drone License isn't terribly difficult to get, but it requires a little bit of studying. I studied perhaps... a couple hours and took the exam and passed. It's not expensive to repeat and if I remember right, it was an open book test. Please note that studying and passing the test depends on your personal level of capability to study and retain information. Having said that, if you have a post-secondary education at the University level or higher, then you should be fine.
Apr 1, 2019
9 posts
9 upvotes
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Totally forgot about this that weight of the drone alone does not matter! Just to confirm, can someone double check that I cannot pilot a Mavic Mini drone in postal code area L6Y0S5 right due to the red zone?
So, after re-reading some of the regulations pages I think you actually can fly the Mini at that postal code. Based on the map I linked, that postal code is outside of the "3 nautical mile" circle, but still inside the "Controlled Airspace" circle of Pearson.

If you read this page, the restrictions on flying in general are:

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
  • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
  • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
  • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
  • far away from other aircraft
  • Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones

And if you click through to the "basic operations" page, at the bottom it indicates that: "Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly." So, interestingly, I think maybe drones under 250g, such as the mini, actually can fly in the red "Controlled Airspace" zones of the map. Not claiming to know that for certain though.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9830 posts
9474 upvotes
Markham
Myles535 wrote: So, after re-reading some of the regulations pages I think you actually can fly the Mini at that postal code. Based on the map I linked, that postal code is outside of the "3 nautical mile" circle, but still inside the "Controlled Airspace" circle of Pearson.

If you read this page, the restrictions on flying in general are:

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
  • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
  • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
  • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
  • far away from other aircraft
  • Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones

And if you click through to the "basic operations" page, at the bottom it indicates that: "Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly." So, interestingly, I think maybe drones under 250g, such as the mini, actually can fly in the red "Controlled Airspace" zones of the map. Not claiming to know that for certain though.
You cannot fly the Mavic Mini inside controlled airspace. Only Advanced License holders with a permit can do so. The biggest upside a Mavic Mini has over other Mavic Drones is the fact that you don't need a license and you don't need to register your drone with the federal government.

You cannot fly in NFZ or controlled airspace, period... unless you have an Advanced License and a permit.

I know those regulations on the government website are super confusing.

Other advantages that the Mavic Mini has over other Mavic drones are as follows:
- no license and no registration required
- do not need to mark the drone with registration number
- do not need to carry a pilot license
Jul 7, 2017
57 posts
44 upvotes
If you look at the actual regulations here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... l#s-900.01, all of the rules about line of sight, maximum altitude, controlled airspace, and all that good stuff is under Subpart 1 — Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft. That very same document defines Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft "means a remotely piloted aircraft that has a maximum take-off weight of at least 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 25 kg (55 pounds)".

So as per the that page, none of those regulations should apply to the mini including the controlled airspace restriction. Supposedly the only regulation that applies is this general rule: "900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person."