Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] DOTD $59.99 YI Dome Camera 1080p HD PTZ Wireless IP Security Surveillance System Night Vision

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1714 posts
2538 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] DOTD $59.99 YI Dome Camera 1080p HD PTZ Wireless IP Security Surveillance System Night Vision

Anyone have experience with this camera? Reviews look good and it can record to a microSD card, so the cloud subscription service is optional.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1987 posts
661 upvotes
gta
This is a really good WiFi cam. And price is good. I bought 2 last time it was on sale for $64.99 from Amazon.
T
However, there was no tax when I bought it. This time when I added to my cart, there was tax applied to the item. Weird!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1908 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
can this record to NAS? or only cloud storage?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3644 posts
1190 upvotes
How would this compare to a Nest?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1407 posts
132 upvotes
I want install on my covered porch. How do you bring the electric inside the house. There is outlet outside by then somebody can just steal it
DealDemon wrote: This is a really good WiFi cam. And price is good. I bought 2 last time it was on sale for $64.99 from Amazon.
T
However, there was no tax when I bought it. This time when I added to my cart, there was tax applied to the item. Weird!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1127 posts
254 upvotes
rinse wrote: How would this compare to a Nest?
Similar features (can't comment on performance): Wi-Fi, resolution, night vision IR, microphone, speaker, motion alerts (sensitivity and lag with notification can differ)

Differences: Price (!), style of camera, storage options (Nest has no local storage and cloud storage requires a subscription - many people hate this, especially if you start adding more Nest cameras), app experience (I'm guessing Nest's is probably more user friendly), ease of setup (could be similar), PTZ (Nest does not have such a feature)
runeash wrote: I want install on my covered porch. How do you bring the electric inside the house. There is outlet outside by then somebody can just steal it
Drill a hole or install an in-use locakable outlet cover (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756 ... ft_c_x_1_w).
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1987 posts
661 upvotes
gta
runeash wrote: I want install on my covered porch. How do you bring the electric inside the house. There is outlet outside by then somebody can just steal it
Thus is an indoor cam. I don't know if it can survive the Cdn cold weather in winter
Aug 23, 2014
384 posts
210 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Can it be used as a baby monitor?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2282 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal
DealDemon wrote: This is a really good WiFi cam. And price is good. I bought 2 last time it was on sale for $64.99 from Amazon.
T
Hi, is the camera powered by a mirco usb port? Thanks

**look like it from the image I saw on the web**
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
174 upvotes
Place
sorrowt wrote: Can it be used as a baby monitor?
upon reading further the amazon website. it is baby monitor friendly
Good luck!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16613 posts
2318 upvotes
I don't think this is rated for outdoor use... you're better off with a proper weatherproof camera.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1069 posts
325 upvotes
calgary
i bought this 3 days ago for 69.99. Is there a price protection?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2104 posts
1572 upvotes
condo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B01CW4BN5M/ref=mw_dp_cr

Reviews on the US site seem to suggest it can survive the cold weather in Alaska and there's a few pictures of it facing outward like a outdoor camera. Might buy one to try out and if it's not good, then probably return it for free with Amazon Prime...
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
Most cameras are fine in all but extreme cold weather. Just keep them out of the rain.

I have a Foscam FI8910W that's rated for -10C, and indoor use. I've had no technical problems with it for a couple of years now in temps lower than -30C. It's placed under the eaves on a gable end. Note that it has faded quite a bit from being in direct sunlight for a few hours per day, but it still operates correctly.

Note that I'm not suggesting anyone should buy this Foscam unit. There are much better products out there for the money.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
2296 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
sorrowt wrote: It seems like it was for $29 on Amazon back in Dec for 6 months https://ca.***************.com/YI-Camera-Wireless-Security-Surveillance/product/B01CW4BN5M
that was 3rd party and some of them are fake
removed for self-promotion
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1468 posts
543 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ordered 5 , thanks for op.
I don't need to hack the Xiafong anymore-.-"
Nov 16, 2010
73 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know how this is powered? is it battery or will there be wiring involved? Thanks.
Apr 25, 2004
196 posts
23 upvotes
Hi Brghunter, feel free to respond to PM. But I've been looking for 2-3 outdoor cameras for a long time but can never figure out what to pick. There are so many options! Can be wired POE, or wireless, doesn't matter to me. Doesn't need PTZ but zoomable would be kinda cool. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

brghunter wrote: Most cameras are fine in all but extreme cold weather. Just keep them out of the rain.

I have a Foscam FI8910W that's rated for -10C, and indoor use. I've had no technical problems with it for a couple of years now in temps lower than -30C. It's placed under the eaves on a gable end. Note that it has faded quite a bit from being in direct sunlight for a few hours per day, but it still operates correctly.

Note that I'm not suggesting anyone should buy this Foscam unit. There are much better products out there for the money.