Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Drano Liquid Drain Cleaner and Clog Remover for Showers and Sinks, 900 mL, $3.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2022 9:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5782 posts
3005 upvotes
Winnipeg
infernox wrote: Drano works very well for our washrooms (long hair clogs) Trick is to let the drain dry as much as possible. We shower at night so we put a little bit in the drain first thing in the morning, and after every 4-5 h to "recoat" the gunk. Then before showering at night, dump piping hot water. In extreme cases, you might have to repeat this twice.

No point in dumping the whole thing in the drain, use a little and let it coat the gunk. Water reducecs its effectiveness and give it time to do its work, its a chemical breakdown after all.
buy one of these
Tubshroom
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Jul 12, 2018
396 posts
284 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Baking soda is $1-2 a box and vinegar is $2-3 for a gallon. Not sure how it's more expensive than this.

Works wonders in the kitchen sink when you're trying to degrease. Obviously doesn't work for hair.
Let me know where u find those prices nowdays ?
Oct 12, 2007
791 posts
456 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm with the anti-drano crew.

Only a snake will clear the clogs.

Used drano on the kitchen sink and did nothing. Had to bring in a commercial drain snake to clear up everything down the clog.

Have a smaller hand snake for smaller drain issues, but the kitchen one was clogged all the way down to the sewer.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3340 posts
2965 upvotes
Victoria
Whoaness wrote: I'm with the anti-drano crew.

Only a snake will clear the clogs.

Used drano on the kitchen sink and did nothing. Had to bring in a commercial drain snake to clear up everything down the clog.

Have a smaller hand snake for smaller drain issues, but the kitchen one was clogged all the way down to the sewer.
So you ignored my post and linked video where it says drain openers don’t work on kitchen sinks but are better suited for bathrooms?

But go on, continue to be anti-Drano…
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1934 posts
3505 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Tried drano many times... I found using a snake and picks/hooks better at cleaning. Maybe draino works if your hair is brittle and damaged?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1797 posts
2126 upvotes
I am never using it for clonging, only use it to clear up since it doesn't run smooth after a few years.

Having said that. used vinegar + baking soda a lot in the past and it never seem to work at all.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1262 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
To prevent the issue of hairballs.... Dollarama has a set of metal screen inserts you put in a sink or tub drain to catch hair. There is a plastic version for shower stalls. You have to clean them out after every use (by wiping the hair and skin scum out with a piece of toilet paper then disposing of it in the trash).

For odors ....Many sinks and tubs have a overflow area that can collect soap scum.. leading to odors. I use a wet cloth to cover the overflow inlet (on sinks it would be a small hole near the top of the bowl)...then I use a plunger ...fill the sink with a couple inches of water and after letting some of that water get into the drain... plunge away. Gross black slimy pieces of soap residue will get sucked up this way.

If you don't have a serious clog ...for prevention.. there are enzyme based drain cleaners that are supposed to eat the soap, food particles and skin.. (I don't know how effective it would be on hair.. ). https://johntheplumber.ca/2021/12/06/wh ... -cleaners/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5196 posts
7014 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
saltyDAN wrote: is this safe to drink?
I've had some before. It's pretty wacky.
Dec 10, 2006
963 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
I find Talon drain opener to work better than Draino.
Oct 12, 2007
791 posts
456 upvotes
Vancouver
cooper83 wrote: So you ignored my post and linked video where it says drain openers don’t work on kitchen sinks but are better suited for bathrooms?

But go on, continue to be anti-Drano…
Of course I'll ignore your post when my kitchen sink is connected to the same drain as the bathroom above it.

Maybe Drano will work for a few feet of piping, in which my hand snake will be better at the job anyway, but it's not going to clear out the entire drain system.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6533 posts
4317 upvotes
SW ON
alpovs wrote: What's your problem with Drano? You didn't explain.
podric wrote: Found a couple of links to explain the Drano issue for your pocket book and the environment for ya:

https://bfy.tw/TQes

https://bfy.tw/TQeq
Screenshot 2022-08-13 180746.jpg

I am getting blank pages with your links probably because I use adblockers. But I didn't expect much. If you can't explain an issue in a couple of words you don't understand it.

Check the bottle. Drano is a mixture of (1) sodium hypochlorite (bleach) NaClO, (2) sodium hydroxide NaOH and (2) sodium silicate Na4SiO4 solutions with some surfactant additives. (1) decomposes into sodium chloride (table salt) and oxygen over time; (2) is neutralized by acids that are present in the sewer (vinegar, Lysol blue toilet cleaner [contains HCl], people's vomit etc.) and forms mostly sodium chloride again; (3) is present in detergents, school glue and other products commonly dumped into the drain.

Drano doesn't add much extra. Look at the formulas above. Silicon, sodium, oxygen, hydrogen, chlorine are some of the most abundant elements on Earth. What's the problem? Are you worried about sodium hydroxide being a strong base? If it's not neutralized by sewage acidity already I am pretty sure sewage treatment plants adjust pH of sewage before releasing it into the nature.

Drano doesn't add anything that's not already there. There is a reason it's not banned. Harmful products are already banned, like phosphate-based detergents. Your concerns have no base (pun intended).

There are other issues that are much more concerning, like people flushing medicines down the drain. And we can't ban medicines, nor people.
Jan 31, 2022
568 posts
827 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Screenshot 2022-08-13 180746.jpg

I am getting blank pages with your links probably because I use adblockers. But I didn't expect much. If you can't explain an issue in a couple of words you don't understand it.

Check the bottle. Drano is a mixture of (1) sodium hypochlorite (bleach) NaClO, (2) sodium hydroxide NaOH and (2) sodium silicate Na4SiO4 solutions with some surfactant additives. (1) decomposes into sodium chloride (table salt) and oxygen over time; (2) is neutralized by acids that are present in the sewer (vinegar, Lysol blue toilet cleaner [contains HCl], people's vomit etc.) and forms mostly sodium chloride again; (3) is present in detergents, school glue and other products commonly dumped into the drain.

Drano doesn't add much extra. Look at the formulas above. Silicon, sodium, oxygen, hydrogen, chlorine are some of the most abundant elements on Earth. What's the problem? Are you worried about sodium hydroxide being a strong base? If it's not neutralized by sewage acidity already I am pretty sure sewage treatment plants adjust pH of sewage before releasing it into the nature.

Drano doesn't add anything that's not already there. There is a reason it's not banned. Harmful products are already banned, like phosphate-based detergents. Your concerns have no base (pun intended).

There are other issues that are much more concerning, like people flushing medicines down the drain. And we can't ban medicines, nor people.
Rage on. smh.