Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Dresden Files kindle edition $2.99 each (dead)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:10 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2018
198 posts
66 upvotes
wolfkin wrote: As another fan I could die just listening to people tell me about the cool books I haven't finished yet. like I rather like Phule and the Myth series. How you missed Snow Crash is amazing but honestly it's been on my to read list as well as Altered Carbon. I haven't dipped into Follett, Childs or Koontz yet though. I know them by name but I don't know the books. Might have to look into that.
Oh man, the Altered Carbon series is pretty good. The only other one that comes close to the same feel for me is Acts of Caine by Matthew Stover. Kickass action all the way with some politics.
Dec 23, 2010
756 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
zayzay wrote: Curious to know what other people who like Dresden read :)
For me I find Dresden uniquely .. gray area. One of the things I really like about this book the further along I get is how gray his gray area is. He does a good job of even though I see Dresden as a white knighty, in the way we do with many protagonists no matter what they say about themselves, Dresden does a lot of playing in areas where he's not always good or bad.

But if you're into what other stuff I'm reading
  • You great series that's has an as good as the book TV show adaption
  • Binti finally breaking into my AfroFuturism series and Binti was amazing. Short but unexpected and different.
  • so many sanderson series I feel like I must have read them all but somehow I haven't Skyward, Warbreaker, Legion, obviously Stormlight reread for the fall
  • Legacy of Orïsha, super relevant but super good.
  • The Iron Druid Chronicles, lighter than Dresden. I think Dresden is better but this is good too. I'm stopped at a time skip. There's a bunch of short stories that take place in the skip that I'm trying to find.
  • Xanth, earlier in the year I started rereading Xanth. It's old fantasy very punny. Possibly the most punny series in all of SFF. That said it's got older sensibilities that can be grating if you aren't mentally prepared for it.
  • Superheroes Anonymous, I like romcoms and I like chicklit and this airport book series surprised me with how unironically I enjoyed it.https://www.goodreads.com/series/143157 ... -anonymous
  • Tristan Strong, wish I'd had this book growing up. It's exactly the sort of book I always wanted. Lotta fun. Can't wait for book 2 this fall.
    a bunch of anthology collections
  • When the Hero Comes Home - blew me away and yes there is a Villian sequel and Hero 2
  • a bunch of Dresden short stories most of which are worth reading so Side Jobs and Brief Cases
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron, on witches, there are some GEMS in here that I would totally read a 5 book series expanding on.
  • Rogues, on Rogues
Fall is going to be packed, Tristan Strong, Stormlight, 2nd Dresden of the Year, and a bunch of standalones. But I have a bunch of series that I have on standby to read anyway.
Last edited by wolfkin on Sep 20th, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 23, 2018
198 posts
66 upvotes
wolfkin wrote: For me I find Dresden uniquely .. gray area. One of the things I really like about this book the further along I get is how gray his gray area is. He does a good job of even though I see Dresden as a white knighty, in the way we do with many protagonists no matter what they say about themselves, Dresden does a lot of playing in areas where he's not always good or bad.

• Binti finally breaking into my AfroFuturism series and Binti was amazing. Short but unexpected and different.
  • so many sanderson series I feel like I must have read them all but somehow I haven't Skyward, Warbreaker, Legion, obviously Stormlight reread for the fall
  • The Iron Druid Chronicles, lighter than Dresden. I think Dresden is better but this is good too. I'm stopped at a time skip. There's a bunch of short stories that take place in the skip that I'm trying to find.
  • Xanth, earlier in the year I started rereading Xanth. It's old fantasy very punny. Possibly the most punny series in all of SFF. That said it's got older sensibilities that can be grating if you aren't mentally prepared for it.
  • Superheroes Anonymous, I like romcoms and I like chicklit and this airport book series surprised me with how unironically I enjoyed it.https://www.goodreads.com/series/143157 ... -anonymous
  • Tristan Strong, wish I'd had this book growing up. It's exactly the sort of book I always wanted. Lotta fun. Can't wait for book 2 this fall.
  • When the Hero Comes Home - blew me away and yes there is a Villian sequel and Hero 2
  • a bunch of Dresden short stories most of which are worth reading so Side Jobs and Brief Cases
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron, on witches, there are some GEMS in here that I would totally read a 5 book series expanding on.
  • Rogues, on Rogues
Fall is going to be packed, Tristan Strong, Stormlight, 2nd Dresden of the Year, and a bunch of standalones. But I have a bunch of series that I have on standby to read anyway.
That’s a fantastic list, thanks! If you liked Binti you might like The Traitor Baru Comorant. I’ve read a ton of Brandon Sanderson, but I haven’t read Stormlight yet - it’s now on my list! Superheroes, Tristan sound really interesting! So people get their books from libgen? I’ve been getting mine from vk but it’s frustrating when you have to scroll through a ton of posts. Still haven’t figured out a way to download torrents through my phone and send the files directly to kindle or open them through the beta browser on kobo.
Dec 23, 2010
756 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
libgen is newish to me as of a few months ago and it's amazingly effective. But I get my books from the library (Overdrive) right now. I'm actually waiting for the next Dresden book on it now so I'm trying to read Cold Days at an even pace rather than the book a day pace I started the series with. libgen is there for me if I need it though.
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
wolfkin wrote: For me I find Dresden uniquely .. gray area. One of the things I really like about this book the further along I get is how gray his gray area is. He does a good job of even though I see Dresden as a white knighty, in the way we do with many protagonists no matter what they say about themselves, Dresden does a lot of playing in areas where he's not always good or bad.

• Rogues, on Rogues
I'm surprised no one mentioned Terry Pratchett.
Read Jack Chalker but a standalone of his is 'and the Devil will drag you under'. Stephen King's 'The Stand' a fantastic book and actually puts a different spin on the Covid pandemic.
Larry Niven is great but his books with Jerry Pournelle are a must read 'Lucifer's Hammer', 'Oath of Fealty', 'Footfall', 'Lucifer's Anvil '. They're long time friends and have even been writing for computer magazines like Byte since the early 90's if not earlier.

Terry Goodkind 'The Sword of Truth' series is very good and they made a TV series out of it.
Raymond Feist's 'Magician' series.
Edgar Rice Burroughs.

There are so many that have left an impression on me and many who's names I can't think of right now.
This discussion has defnitely reminded me how few books I now read or listen to, compared to years ago.
Dec 23, 2010
756 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I watched Legend of the Seeker when it came out. I gotta see if I can find my files because I finally got my sister into an epic fantasy series and it's SoT. She's about far enough to appreciate/laugh at Legend of the Seeker.
Jan 23, 2009
346 posts
241 upvotes
VI
As a somewhat niche SF reader (niche in the real world at least ) it's always weird when I find other peoe in to what I like haha. I was huge into fantasy as a kid. LOTR, Xanth, Death Gate, Dragonlance that sort of stuff, but I got out hard, it was a total shift to SF from about age 12-now in my 40's. I was stuck in an airport a few years ago and was chatting with a guy and mentioned I just finished a book and had nothing to read during what turned out to be a 6 hour flight delay and he gave me the first Dresden book and I loved it. I've always like the "secret world behind the scenes" angle of stuff like dark city and the matrix etc and this fit right in.

TLDR it's funny this post came up as I literally just started white knight yesterday.
Sep 18, 2020
4 posts
Whoops, that was a quick sale, you’re right. I’ll edit my original post. Thanks for letting me know!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3188 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
digidon wrote: I've always like the "secret world behind the scenes" angle of stuff like dark city and the matrix etc and this fit right in.
It's appealing. Conspiracies have become very dominant in fiction -- TV drama, movies, and books.

Perhaps this explains how important conspiracy theories have become in politics. I worry that this fictional bleed into people's understanding of the world is Very Bad. Qanon, Anti-Vax, Trump's excuses for everything, climate-denial, ...
Jan 23, 2009
346 posts
241 upvotes
VI
Hugh wrote: It's appealing. Conspiracies have become very dominant in fiction -- TV drama, movies, and books.

Perhaps this explains how important conspiracy theories have become in politics. I worry that this fictional bleed into people's understanding of the world is Very Bad. Qanon, Anti-Vax, Trump's excuses for everything, climate-denial, ...
Well, it has a lot to do with "stupid people vs not stupid people", for the first group it's very dangerous to propagate the idea that conspiracies are everywhere. For the rest of us they are just pure entertainment.
Jan 23, 2009
346 posts
241 upvotes
VI
mrcodemonkey wrote: Whoops, that was a quick sale, you’re right. I’ll edit my original post. Thanks for letting me know!
No worries, sad I missed it, I missing the one before cold days. I am only on white knight so I have time still haha.
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
digidon wrote: As a somewhat niche SF reader (niche in the real world at least ) it's always weird when I find other peoe in to what I like haha. I was huge into fantasy as a kid. LOTR, Xanth, Death Gate, Dragonlance that sort of stuff, but I got out hard, it was a total shift to SF from about age 12-now in my 40's. I was stuck in an airport a few years ago and was chatting with a guy and mentioned I just finished a book and had nothing to read during what turned out to be a 6 hour flight delay and he gave me the first Dresden book and I loved it. I've always like the "secret world behind the scenes" angle of stuff like dark city and the matrix etc and this fit right in.

TLDR it's funny this post came up as I literally just started white knight yesterday.
I discovered Patrick Rothfuss a similar way.
We were in an airport bookstore and were walking out, empty handed, when the clerk took it upon himself to ask me what I was interested in. After mentioning, Sci-Fi and Fantasy he recomended 'The Name of theWind'.
I'd never heard of the author or the book but he and another coworker of his were so enthusiastic about it I decided to take a chance.
Great book.
Mar 26, 2006
389 posts
53 upvotes
Rick Gualtieri's "Bill The Vampire", Simon R. Green's "Nightside" series, The "Sandman Slim" series, and the Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter" are all similar to the Dresden books...
Some humor, an underdog protagonist... I'm quite enjoying Bill the Vampire as we speak...