• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 1:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 1, 2013
287 posts
75 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Echo Auto $44.99

I’ve been waiting for this to drop in price for a while, not for everyone but I’ve been searching for a alternative to shouting “hey Siri” 5 times whilst driving !
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 26th, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated retailer name
36 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
Amazing device, I've had it since before its launch as part of a field tester. It's like being night rider ! It's got the same type of lights also lol very useful
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jul 12, 2008
101 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary
If you drive a Ford vehicle with SYNC3 wait until The Ford + Alexa App is released in Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
sophal wrote: If you drive a Ford vehicle with SYNC3 wait until The Ford + Alexa App is released in Canada.
My colleagues at Ford in waterloo worked on the GUI and another works on the connectivity. He has a mock console in his office hooked up to his computer as he develops, fixes bugs. We then take the vehicle out for test drives over the weekends to document bugs and give feedback to developers.

I wasnt too impressed with the speech recognition for "okay ford" classic system, so looking forward to the Alexa integration upon final release.

also, I dont work for Ford, these are people who used to work with me for another organization and defected to Ford :)
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8988 posts
2579 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
zdpz wrote: Amazing device, I've had it since before its launch as part of a field tester. It's like being night rider ! It's got the same type of lights also lol very useful
Can you give some examples of how you use it? I’ve had one for months and can’t figure out the utility of it.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
MexiCanuck wrote: Can you give some examples of how you use it? I’ve had one for months and can’t figure out the utility of it.

Alexa I'm home , sets the temperature to what I want, turns on all the outdoor lights, etc. I stopped doing geotagging because it would get triggered when I was just passing by my house.

Alexa make an announcement ( when no one is answering the phone, ALLL the Alexa dots at home become an intercom)

Alexa pop up a map with directions to the nearest Tim Hortons

Alexa play blag blah on Spotify

Alexa make a note to add xyz to my grocery list

Alexa is the front door locked? ( When you forgot to lock or Aren't sure)

Alexa turn on vacation. Mode or away mode

Alexa turn off house lights

Stc
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
8737 posts
12392 upvotes
zdpz wrote: Alexa I'm home , sets the temperature to what I want, turns on all the outdoor lights, etc. I stopped doing geotagging because it would get triggered when I was just passing by my house.

Alexa make an announcement ( when no one is answering the phone, ALLL the Alexa dots at home become an intercom)

Stc
Couldn't you do the same using your phone?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
IDStorms wrote: Couldn't you do the same using your phone?
You could do the same using remote controls too...it's all about the User Experience. Using your phone clicking around and if you have an iPhone it's even worse. If you have Android you have Google assistant. The Alexa echo auto is natively supported, has a great simple interface, a lot better sound attentuation, and works on the drop of a hat everytime.

Do you use your phone to control your home automation when you're at home or your smart speakers? Same thing here.

It's a matter of personal preference and most people will be pleasently surprised at the ease of use of the echo auto vs using your phone. It's not a life changer, just an iterative improvement over a phone with the Alexa app.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Apr 3, 2015
100 posts
22 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Does it do the commands locally or does it need a data connection from my phone?
Jul 31, 2016
454 posts
793 upvotes
Whitby
zdpz wrote: Alexa I'm home , sets the temperature to what I want, turns on all the outdoor lights, etc. I stopped doing geotagging because it would get triggered when I was just passing by my house.

Stc
If you have Android auto just curious, why would you need this?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1292 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
ajacian81 wrote: If you have Android auto just curious, why would you need this?
The microphone reception is amazing. It hears you over loud music or if your kids in the backseat want to tell Alexa to play a certain song.
Also, amazon music is native via the Echo Auto. My understanding is Amazon Music via Android Auto is not a good experience.
I've also had this since it was by invitation only.
Last edited by springroll on Jul 26th, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2238 posts
432 upvotes
York
How well does this work when paired with an iPhone? Specifically when requesting Spotify. I have the anker roav but it makes you force open Spotify defeating the purpose of hands free.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Jun 13, 2019
124 posts
60 upvotes
Just curious does it have a steering wheel holder so I can have hand free mode?. Actually I use my phone for Navigation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
8737 posts
12392 upvotes
zdpz wrote: You could do the same using remote controls too...it's all about the User Experience. Using your phone clicking around and if you have an iPhone it's even worse. If you have Android you have Google assistant. The Alexa echo auto is natively supported, has a great simple interface, a lot better sound attentuation, and works on the drop of a hat everytime.

Do you use your phone to control your home automation when you're at home or your smart speakers? Same thing here.

It's a matter of personal preference and most people will be pleasently surprised at the ease of use of the echo auto vs using your phone. It's not a life changer, just an iterative improvement over a phone with the Alexa app.
Thanks for your input.

I've seen this on Amazon.com for quite a while, and was waiting for it to become available in Canada,
except I'm not really into the home automation thingy, but I do have an Echo Show, and Echo Dot Clock. (plus some unused Google Home Minis)
(I received the invite for the echo auto when it originally started releasing in the US but they would not ship it to Canada)

Other than those two devices, I have rope lights for our stairs set up on a Lutron Caseta which takes care of itself (even though I could control it via Alexa if needed)

I do like the novelty factor of the Echo Auto, and some of the other features I might benefit from.