• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2022 10:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2017
1040 posts
1789 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Echo Dot / Echo Dot (with Clock) - $24.99 / $31.99

This is all time low on both products. Previous low was $34.99 and $44.99, on Amazon.ca at least.

This is obviously because they just announced new Echo Dot 5th gens with temperature sensor and better sound, with pre-order priced at $69.99 and $79.99 (with clock). If you don't need those two upgrades these are a great deal.

Have been wanting a new bedside clock and I'm all-in on the Alexa smart system so it's a no brainer.
Thread Summary
These are all current 4th-gen models, the ball type.
46 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1889 posts
2665 upvotes
Halifax
Looks like many echo products are on sale at Amazon and other retailers.

On Amazon:
Echo Show 5 44.99 and 8 69.99
https://www.amazon.ca/deal/a28613c7?sho ... dt_sl15_67

Echo dot - same as OP but with all variations
https://www.amazon.ca/deal/5fd45cb7?sho ... dt_sl15_67

Decided to check Bestbuy and they have the Echo show 5 for 49.99 and 8 74.99 BUT both come with tp link wifi plug (essentially 5$). IIRC the last time these went on sale they were also paired up with a wifi bulb.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/am ... l/B0016764

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/am ... l/B0012616
Mar 5, 2018
540 posts
1173 upvotes
Montreal
For Amazon speakers users, what’s the difference between google speakers (mini, nest, home) and Amazon ones?
Dec 27, 2019
49 posts
76 upvotes
hammouz wrote: For Amazon speakers users, what’s the difference between google speakers (mini, nest, home) and Amazon ones?
Different functions in the smart home and different aesthetic. They both do the same thing essentially.

Alexa's are faster at "alexa, turn on x"
Googles. (screens) are better at displaying camera feeds

That being said, the dots sound pretty crappy. The larger echoes are fantastic.
Nov 17, 2007
149 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Quick heads up, old and new generation echoes do not play nicely together as do dots and echoes. I was used to linking my clock echo to a standard one for stereo sound at night in bed, but when I upgraded my clock to ver. 4 I discovered that intergenerational linkage was not possible. So I put my Echo 4 in place of the old dot and lo and behold, it was not compatible with the echo 4 clock. Frustrating, to say the least. Remarkably poor design given that Apple and Google devices work seamlessly.
Aug 22, 2019
263 posts
213 upvotes
Belleville, Ontario
I found the 3rd Gen dot had the best sound for the smaller ones. I have the 4th gen with the clock and the sound is terrible. I wanted to pull the trigger on a 10 show, but don't want to pay to replace the 2nd gen Echo which has decent sound in my open kitchen/living room. The new releases look like they address the audio issues. Hopefully they do sound better.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3910 posts
6254 upvotes
Langley, BC
not only new sound and temp sensor, but also built-in eero (add up to 1,000 sq ft of wifi coverage to a compatible eero network)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2335 posts
525 upvotes
York
steven80 wrote: not only new sound and temp sensor, but also built-in eero (add up to 1,000 sq ft of wifi coverage to a compatible eero network)
The 4th gen Echo and Echo Dot's also have the hardware built in but was never enabled. Amazon will be enabling the eero functionality on these October 20th which make these a great deal for those with an Eero system.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2009
3701 posts
3422 upvotes
My .02, dot 3rd gen better, louder audio than dot 4gen. Echo 8 audio trumps em all, outstanding just as a smart speaker considering the price now.
"Frank Burns eats worms"
Nov 23, 2006
515 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
slacker1 wrote: Quick heads up, old and new generation echoes do not play nicely together as do dots and echoes. I was used to linking my clock echo to a standard one for stereo sound at night in bed, but when I upgraded my clock to ver. 4 I discovered that intergenerational linkage was not possible. So I put my Echo 4 in place of the old dot and lo and behold, it was not compatible with the echo 4 clock. Frustrating, to say the least. Remarkably poor design given that Apple and Google devices work seamlessly.
Care to explain further on what you mean by play nicely together and linking? Are they not all linked to your account? If they don't "play nice" does that just mean that when you speak, they both respond instead of one talking? I only own a few older echo dots but was thinking of getting a new one for my basement.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10731 posts
3275 upvotes
Montreal, QC
xmanofsteel69 wrote: Care to explain further on what you mean by play nicely together and linking? Are they not all linked to your account? If they don't "play nice" does that just mean that when you speak, they both respond instead of one talking? I only own a few older echo dots but was thinking of getting a new one for my basement.
He's talking about stereo audio
Nov 23, 2006
515 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
Daijoubu wrote: He's talking about stereo audio
Ah, so it's just for that. I read that and thought there was more that wasn't working for some reason. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10731 posts
3275 upvotes
Montreal, QC
xmanofsteel69 wrote: Ah, so it's just for that. I read that and thought there was more that wasn't working for some reason. Thanks!
But I wonder if multi room audio is hindered as well, I remember having troubles with my 1st gen the newer Echos (2nd and 3rd)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3317 posts
629 upvotes
GTA
So which one is the best for sound? and do they connect to google services at all?