• Dec 14th, 2020 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3577 posts
2401 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Echo Flex - 3.5mm audio out + Bluetooth [$14.99]

Before i get flamed, I want to point out this speaker is NOT meant for audiophiles and it's not a very loud speaker.

That being said, this is a good peripheral to other speakers via Bluetooth or 3.5mm audio out. I bought this on Prime Day just because it was so cheap. It's a nice accessory for bathrooms, I use it everyday now for checking the news when brushing my teeth and paired it to my shower speaker via Bluetooth.

It also has 3.5 mm audio out and could be a good alternative for group audio if you own other Alex devices. Some key features I like:

• I have a Ring doorbell, and if I'm in the washroom the Flex announces who is at the door. I can also talk to the person if I'm stuck in the shower
  • Alex Drop-In. I can use other Alexa speakers to call to that room. It's different from Google Broadcast / Alexa Announcement as it's like a phone. It's convenient when your hands are full and you want to call another room. You can also use the Alexa app to call into speakers outside of home too.
  • 3.5mm audio to better speakers for WiFi music. Alternative to Chromecast Audio and if you have other Echo devices you can add it to the group.

Anyway for $15 I found it a great deal. If only the other accessories you can use for the flex went on sale (like the nightlight or clock)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4099 posts
4188 upvotes
Vancouver
I have one. It's basically a smaller Echo Dot that plugs directly into the wall and has a really crappy tiny speaker. Functionality is exactly the same as the Echo Dot. The only problem I've noticed (widely reported) is that Bluetooth pairing has a bug and you have to follow a specific process to get it paired (unplug and replug the unit, then do the Bluetooth pairing immediately) - you can subsequently connect/disconnect Bluetooth by voice command without problems.

It does have one added feature: there's a USB port on the bottom that you could use as a phone charger, but it's mainly meant to attach a couple of custom accessories, like a clock display. I doubt most people would bother paying extra for that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9776 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I got the night light, pretty nifty.

Echo dot have more 4 mics however vs 2 on the Flex
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1319 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
With 3.5 mm audio out, I think this could be a good Chromecast Audio alternative, especially now when it's discontinued. You can turn your old boombox into a network speaker with this.
Aug 22, 2007
760 posts
43 upvotes
Perfect - I just want to make sure every square millimetre of my house is covered in sensors for amazon to track/harvest.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4545 posts
2632 upvotes
Knitecrow wrote: Perfect - I just want to make sure every square millimetre of my house is covered in sensors for amazon to track/harvest.
RFD already knows your shopping and internet habits too.