Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa only $59.99 for Prime members

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 1:02 pm
[OP]
Sep 16, 2020
10 posts
8 upvotes
toronto

[Amazon.ca] Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa only $59.99 for Prime members

Echo Show 5 – Compact smart display with Alexa for only $59.99

This deal is only for Prime members. Since Amazon offers a month of free trial, anybody who haven't availed the prime membership can also buy.
Last edited by RFDSimon on Oct 6th, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2533 posts
1630 upvotes
montreal
Still waiting for netflix to enable smartdevices before jumping on a smart display.

:(
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3991 posts
1410 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
superbigjay wrote: Still waiting for netflix to enable smartdevices before jumping on a smart display.

Admittedly I didn't try streaming services but I've tried out an Echo Show 5 twice (second time was to give it a second chance and see if performance improved) to use in our kitchen and access our Nanit baby monitor and it was a borrow experience. It was very sluggish and slow to load the feed. I wanted this thing to be great as it is a handy concept and we have multiple Echos but I have to say this product was a complete bust for us. It was very disappointing. Even at this price I still wouldn't get another until a better model is released.
Jan 25, 2006
974 posts
265 upvotes
Nova Scotia
How does it work as a smart alarm clock? Pretty sure I would use it in the bedroom for going to sleep and waking up. Morning weather and news etc
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10613 posts
4968 upvotes
I had 2 of these from last summer when they were 49,99 and although its decent, nest hub is so so much better. Mostly youtube is great on it and not on show 5. Also web searching is good on google.

1 thing i missed with the show 5 was my amcrest camera's would work with it and they wont with the nest screen.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2851 posts
1413 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: nest hub is so so much better.
Also, the hub was recently on clearance for $45 at Indigo.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4066 posts
4151 upvotes
Vancouver
superbigjay wrote: Still waiting for netflix to enable smartdevices before jumping on a smart display.
I'm not sure that watching Netflix on a 5" tabletop display is much of a benefit. You can run the Fire tablets with larger screens in Echo Show mode if you use a U.S. Amazon account (feature disabled for amazon.ca accounts - thanks Amazon). I do that for the Fire HD 8 tablet. It works fine with a few limitations, like the tablet speakers are not as loud as tabletop Echo Show, and some features have quirky inexplicable limitations, like you can view Ring doorbell but not answer it. Anyone considering buying an Echo Show during Prime Days might want to check out the Fire tablet pricing too, keeping that point about amazon.ca account vs. amazon.com account in mind.
Apr 30, 2020
208 posts
252 upvotes
Crappy device if you use your Alexa devices for music. Very limited in terms of display usage. I returned mine when I got it a while back.
Nov 7, 2003
991 posts
324 upvotes
Many devices to choose from.... I have many echos in the house and within the family.

The 3rd gen dots are good, the 2nd gen+ echos are much better, but the Echo Show 8 is probably my favorite device.

I returned my Show 5, but I would recommend the Show 8... it's fast, has a nice screen, and the sound is pretty good for what it is. I don't watch movies on it though, I have a TV or my iPad for that :).
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Koodo $40 6GB plan + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Sep 27, 2009
242 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
I wish the Show 8 would be on sale. Show 5 screen size is a bit small.
Feb 18, 2013
16 posts
7 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have one and use it as an Alarm clock. Not sure I am using it correctly, but you can have it do something either via an Alarm or from a routine set to launch at a given time. With the alarm, the display will tell you what time the alarm is going to go off, but you can't have it do much else beside alarm. The routines are powerful (I have it play a Spotify list, turn on a light and turn off my noise machine). The downside is that the clock does not show that a routine is scheduled to run on the main display.

Another issue is that the Spotify play suddenly stopped working. Going into the routine and saving it again seemed to solve it. Thankfully my noise machine going off wakes me anyway.

Overall I like it, but I would not trust it enough if I had to get up to catch a flight.
Nov 24, 2018
495 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
ANYONE has solution to run Echo Show 5 or 8 off a powerbank?

I saw Aliexpress has a build-in solution with stand(around 40$) and as well Amazon has a 5V to 12V cable(15$).

I'm looking for a dual USB split cable with 5.5mm plug. since I already have the stand.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Dec 25, 2017
134 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
Now comes with an option to add a Blink Mini for 25 or a smart plug for 10
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1387 posts
421 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: I had 2 of these from last summer when they were 49,99 and although its decent, nest hub is so so much better. Mostly youtube is great on it and not on show 5. Also web searching is good on google.

1 thing i missed with the show 5 was my amcrest camera's would work with it and they wont with the nest screen.

Nest hub doesn’t have a camera nor aux in

I have both and both have their pros and cons
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14484 posts
27172 upvotes
Scarborough

I've been waiting forever for them to add Netflix to Echo Show devices. The announcement 2 weeks ago only specifically mentioned the new Echo Show 10, but I really hope they don't limit it to only that model. I might switch to Nest Hub's if that's the case.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
1388 posts
2691 upvotes
I’ve had the echo show 5 for about a year and I’ve been pleased so far. I got it around 40 bucks after some free promo codes that I had saved up. I get that the nest hub is better and plays video streaming apps better as well but for me, I don’t care for that. This device is to replace an alarm clock. I have a tv, phone, tablet, computer and a laptop in my room that I would prefer to stream videos with instead. Again, if it comes down to size and cost I prefer the echo as I only use it as an alarm clock but if the nest hub is priced the same as the echo then I would have probably gotten that intsead.
Mar 26, 2013
119 posts
76 upvotes
NANAIMO
ChicoQuente wrote: Admittedly I didn't try streaming services but I've tried out an Echo Show 5 twice (second time was to give it a second chance and see if performance improved) to use in our kitchen and access our Nanit baby monitor and it was a borrow experience. It was very sluggish and slow to load the feed. I wanted this thing to be great as it is a handy concept and we have multiple Echos but I have to say this product was a complete bust for us. It was very disappointing. Even at this price I still wouldn't get another until a better model is released.
ouch, so it doesn't even have firestick4k power inside? i guess all the cost goes into the display, paying for portability
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1393 posts
753 upvotes
quicksilver7 wrote: How does it work as a smart alarm clock? Pretty sure I would use it in the bedroom for going to sleep and waking up. Morning weather and news etc
It's pretty good. The size is perfect, not too big not too small. You can customize backgrounds to personal pictures or just choose one of their many default styles. Lots of style options to display the time/date, etc. It also has auto dimming (if you choose) so will automatically dim when you turn off lights since you don't really want a bright light shining in your face when sleeping. Another important feature to me is that there is a physical shutter on the video camera so you never have to worry about something accidentally recording or mistakenly accepting any sort of video call (especially in the bedroom).

Everything else is probably pretty similar to other competitor options, can ask the news, weather, sports, etc... you can sync it with your calendar so it announces what you have scheduled, etc. I have a ring doorbell so it also acts like a chime as well. If you have multiple, one thing I always use is announcements. I can make an announcement so that it records what I'm saying and plays it on every single device (that you setup). For example, "Dinner Time.. come to the kitchen now"
Aug 22, 2019
132 posts
80 upvotes
I was eyeing up the 5, but from the reviews and peoples comments here I might wait and see if the 8 goes on sale.

Can anyone tell me how the sound is on the show 8 compared to the Echo 2nd Gen?

I have this in the kitchen and open concept and plays nicely through the living room. I have one of those screen weather stations beside it. If I can get the two of them in one, (weather can be from online instead of outside) and clear up some room that would be ideal.
Images
  • 5982513_sd.jpg