155 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Ecobee 4 Thermostat - $269. Reg $329.00

Ecobee 4 with a single Sensor is on sale on Amazon for 269.92

Bestbuy has it also for 279.99
22 replies
Mar 10, 2017
217 posts
177 upvotes
Not bad of a deal. According 3Camel, lowest ever was $197 in November 2018. Debating!
My horn can pierce the sky
[OP]
Jan 2, 2014
496 posts
155 upvotes
WayneEnterprise wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:24 am
Not bad of a deal. According 3Camel, lowest ever was $197 in November 2018. Debating!
I saw that but I am looking for something in the near future so in the next 2 months will I see it drop to that?
maybe. Maybe not though!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1892 posts
158 upvotes
Can anyone comment if this is worth or if I should just get the Ecobee 3 lite + 2 sensors?
Jul 20, 2016
995 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
PiusPatronus wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:44 am
Can anyone comment if this is worth or if I should just get the Ecobee 3 lite + 2 sensors?
If your don't need that amazon Alexa integrated, I think 3lite+ sensors is a better option.

I have the ecobee 4, and an amazon echo plus on the same floor, it's rather useless (annoying even) having both.

I got the 4 because it ended up being cheaper the 3 lite (home depot had it for 225, and I've managed to price match at best buy)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1516 posts
635 upvotes
Markham
I dont know whats the point of more than one sensor. Dont spend money on the sensor for a home.
-------
Thank you
Aug 17, 2006
80 posts
13 upvotes
kunamvahees wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:22 am
I dont know whats the point of more than one sensor. Dont spend money on the sensor for a home.
I love the extra sensors. Those rooms only count for the purposes of our heating/cooling cycle if they're occupied. So we put one in the usually cold visitor bedroom in the basement. No visitors? That room is ignored. Visitors in town? Factor that room in.

They're also great to average out wildly different temps. Our hallway thermostat locations are not where we spend time, and due to a sun-exposed rear of the house, there are significant temperature differentials throughout the house.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1516 posts
635 upvotes
Markham
tenth wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 11:53 am
I love the extra sensors. Those rooms only count for the purposes of our heating/cooling cycle if they're occupied. So we put one in the usually cold visitor bedroom in the basement. No visitors? That room is ignored. Visitors in town? Factor that room in.

They're also great to average out wildly different temps. Our hallway thermostat locations are not where we spend time, and due to a sun-exposed rear of the house, there are significant temperature differentials throughout the house.
There is no way to cut AIR for one room or even one floor in a normal house. you are basically using the HVAC for more time than you require so the other part of the house get warmer/cooler. This can be achieved by increasing or lowering the temp in your Thermostat.
I think I am missing something here.
-------
Thank you
[OP]
Jan 2, 2014
496 posts
155 upvotes
kunamvahees wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:02 pm
There is no way to cut AIR for one room or even one floor in a normal house. you are basically using the HVAC for more time than you require so the other part of the house get warmer/cooler. This can be achieved by increasing or lowering the temp in your Thermostat.
I think I am missing something here.
Let's say you have an Ecobee in your living room, a sensor in each bedroom.
Heat rises, so you want your bedrooms to be at a certain temp during sleep so you have it match that temp on the sleep cycle instead of matching the temp to where the Ecobee is located.

I'm now not having to guess the temp difference between my upper and lower floors where the ecobee to find a comfort level to sleep in.
Nov 7, 2017
91 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
After finding out what the sensors do, I found it pretty pointless as well. For those who are wondering, here's an example. If you have a sensor in the basement and you are in your basement, the sensor will know you are there and try to get the basement temp to match the temp of the rest of the house. The basement is most likely going to be colder than the rest of the house. It does this by increasing the temp for the whole house so that the basement will eventually get hotter. If you want to increase the temp for the basement only, then you would need a thermostat for the basement level so that the heater is just working on the basement level, not the rest of the floors.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1057 posts
893 upvotes
VANCOUVER
PiusPatronus wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:44 am
I don't think it's worth it. Get the Ecobee 3 (or 3 lite + sensors).

I have the Ecobee motion sensor light switch and the Alexa integration is half baked. I'm assuming the Ecobee4 will be the same. It can't play music through spotifiy, it doesn't support all the same Alexa commands, and you can't assign it to a room like you can with the Echos. This is probably a restriction from Amazon for all 3rd party integrations but it's just annoying. Plus the microphone is terrible. Never hears the wake word.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1057 posts
893 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Nev0513 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:53 pm
After finding out what the sensors do, I found it pretty pointless as well. For those who are wondering, here's an example. If you have a sensor in the basement and you are in your basement, the sensor will know you are there and try to get the basement temp to match the temp of the rest of the house. The basement is most likely going to be colder than the rest of the house. It does this by increasing the temp for the whole house so that the basement will eventually get hotter. If you want to increase the temp for the basement only, then you would need a thermostat for the basement level so that the heater is just working on the basement level, not the rest of the floors.
This argument always comes up in every ecobee thread. What is your solution? You want the room you're in NOT to be at the temperature you want? In your example, you would prefer that the basement you're in to be cold and uncomfortable while the unoccupied rooms upstairs to be at the right temperature? The ecobee is prioritizing comfort of the occupants. Comfort is the main purpose of any HVAC system. Yes there will be some wasted energy and unoccupied rooms may be hotter, but I think the alternative is worse.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
11379 posts
1183 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
kunamvahees wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:22 am
I use them for temp balancing. I dont use the follow me feature from room to room. But with sensors it averages the temp between the sensors and the main unit. Since the main unit is always in a hallway that you dont spend time in. these sense the temperature in each room and averages them out. So if you for example set the main until to 20 degrees Celcius, it will average the temp so the entire floor is 20 degress, not just the area around the sensor

I have a dual zone and have two Ecobee lights, with 3 sensors on each floor. It helps alot acutally

There are 5 of us in the house, the follow me is pointless really, there isnt much of a time a room is unoccupied anyway
Jan 29, 2011
16 posts
28 upvotes
For those living in QC, Energir (gaz metro) is providing a $100 incentive. Must be installed within 30 days of purchase. The program is called "Smart thermostat grant".
Jan 25, 2013
123 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond Hill
goozy1 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 1:10 pm
I don't think it's worth it. Get the Ecobee 3 (or 3 lite + sensors).

I have the Ecobee motion sensor light switch and the Alexa integration is half baked. I'm assuming the Ecobee4 will be the same. It can't play music through spotifiy, it doesn't support all the same Alexa commands, and you can't assign it to a room like you can with the Echos. This is probably a restriction from Amazon for all 3rd party integrations but it's just annoying. Plus the microphone is terrible. Never hears the wake word.
I have the Ecobee 4, and the Alexa integration seems as complete as the Amazon Echo devices I have on other floors. The speaker is loud, I was able to assign it to a room, and I like the info displayed on the screen. I bought it at full price (with the sensor...which I agree doesn't help much), and I'm pretty happy with it.