Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Ecovacs Deebot R95 Robotic Vacuum $409

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 7:53 am
Tags:
None
Sep 17, 2016
352 posts
174 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Ecovacs Deebot R95 Robotic Vacuum $409

I got one of these for Black Friday when the price was $399 so only $10 less than now.

Amazing vacuum. Same functions as the Xiaomi plus it has a mop feature as well. (And actually ships). The only complaint, which doesn't affect me, since I live in an apartment, is that it forgets the map layouts when unplugged and moved to a different floor.

Up to 9O mins run time
Amazon Alexa enabled for voice control
Tangle free auction
High efficiency filter
Recharge and resume
WiFi connected smart phone app control
Wet dry mop
Maps out floor plan - laser guided
Stair sensor system

Check out a review right here

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/0 ... acuum.html
Last edited by TitusBobby on Dec 9th, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2019 upvotes
Ottawa
Horrible Amazon.ca and .com ratings though
Sep 17, 2016
352 posts
174 upvotes
john.canad wrote: Horrible Amazon.ca and .com ratings though
The only thing horrible mentioned in the reviews is the map being cleared thing. Everything else, even in the less than 5 stars reviews, mentions how good this vacuum is.

It looks like me that the only "horrible" thing about the reviews is that Ecovacs doesn't pay for positive reviews
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2019 upvotes
Ottawa
TitusBobby wrote: The only thing horrible mentioned in the reviews is the map being cleared thing. Everything else, even in the less than 5 stars reviews, mentions how good this vacuum is.

It looks like me that the only "horrible" thing about the reviews is that Ecovacs doesn't pay for positive reviews
That is a plus, but it is also a bad sign that they haven't fixed a simple software issue (looks like it's because of the phone app??) that is giving them such poor ratings.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1005 posts
744 upvotes
Ontario
TitusBobby wrote: The only thing horrible mentioned in the reviews is the map being cleared thing. Everything else, even in the less than 5 stars reviews, mentions how good this vacuum is.

From what I'm reading, reviews say that xiaomi does a much better cleaning job compared to the r95, also the mopping isn't very good. One of the reviews even mentioned that the lower model n79 does a better cleaning job than the r95.
Mar 5, 2017
41 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP.

Any word on if/when a firmware upgrade might be available for this unit?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
Decided to give the R95 a try after not having great success with a Roomba and omg the R95 is terrible!!!! I have an open floor plan, all hardwood and everything was picked up off the floor and this thing gets "stuck" every few minutes with always the error front wheel stuck. I tried the initial mapping and it was impossible as it kept getting stuck and if it got stuck it would go right back to the same place at least 5 times in a row and get stuck each time. I find that if it comes up to an obstacle like the legs of a table or even a wall it would just keep pushing even though it would never get thru and then throw up the I'm stuck message. With the Roomba it would turn around and move on. The Roomba I had was returned because it would always skip over rooms but it never got stuck unlike this POS. I'll be returning it this week which is too bad as I wanted something with room mapping but without the Roomba pricing.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
This looks like the right model for me: mapping, wifi, Alexa, mop function, remove roller for hairy pets, etc., but the negative comments and reviews are scaring me. How is Amazon for returns on these things?
Sep 17, 2016
352 posts
174 upvotes
swales wrote: Decided to give the R95 a try after not having great success with a Roomba and omg the R95 is terrible!!!! I have an open floor plan, all hardwood and everything was picked up off the floor and this thing gets "stuck" every few minutes with always the error front wheel stuck. I tried the initial mapping and it was impossible as it kept getting stuck and if it got stuck it would go right back to the same place at least 5 times in a row and get stuck each time. I find that if it comes up to an obstacle like the legs of a table or even a wall it would just keep pushing even though it would never get thru and then throw up the I'm stuck message. With the Roomba it would turn around and move on. The Roomba I had was returned because it would always skip over rooms but it never got stuck unlike this POS. I'll be returning it this week which is too bad as I wanted something with room mapping but without the Roomba pricing.
Not sure exactly how it manages to get stuck on hardwood, because I just this thing going on carpet and laminated floor, and it ran smoothly like butter. Moreover, I had a black carpet placed as a test where the red virtual wall is now, in the hopes that it would stop there, as I had read some reports that it refuses to go on dark carpets because it thinks they are stairs. In any case, it had no problems going over even if it was a bit higher and it had no problems going over the little bump separating the laminated area from the carpeted area.

While mapping the first time, it only got stuck once in between two boxes where it was wide enkugh to just fit in, but couldnt turn at all anymore. The rest went smoothly, no problems with the table feet or the bed frame feet, and it cleaned under the bed with no problems.

The only thing that doesnt seem to work is the manual driving of the bot, as it just stands there going in circles. Another thing that doesnt seem to work is adding to a map thats already made. No way to modify or add any sections, have to redo the whole thing again. However thats not such a big deal as it goes in very intelligent patterns and does a great job cleaning even on the first run as its laser sensors can detect the room very well even without a map.

And here, Ive attached a section of the map so you can see for yourself the kind of messy layout it managed to deal with brilliantly.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
TitusBobby wrote: Not sure exactly how it manages to get stuck on hardwood, because I just this thing going on carpet and laminated floor, and it ran smoothly like butter. Moreover, I had a black carpet placed as a test where the red virtual wall is now, in the hopes that it would stop there, as I had read some reports that it refuses to go on dark carpets because it thinks they are stairs. In any case, it had no problems going over even if it was a bit higher and it had no problems going over the little bump separating the laminated area from the carpeted area.

While mapping the first time, it only got stuck once in between two boxes where it was wide enkugh to just fit in, but couldnt turn at all anymore. The rest went smoothly, no problems with the table feet or the bed frame feet, and it cleaned under the bed with no problems.

The only thing that doesnt seem to work is the manual driving of the bot, as it just stands there going in circles. Another thing that doesnt seem to work is adding to a map thats already made. No way to modify or add any sections, have to redo the whole thing again. However thats not such a big deal as it goes in very intelligent patterns and does a great job cleaning even on the first run as its laser sensors can detect the room very well even without a map.

And here, Ive attached a section of the map so you can see for yourself the kind of messy layout it managed to deal with brilliantly.
Good to see yours worked out, mine is on it's way back to Amazon. I gave the thing so many chances by erasing the maps and starting over and it was completely useless each and ever time, I would literally have to stand watch over it the whole time as it would get stuck every few minutes. The stupid thing would get stuck on walls with no obstacles around it, it would bang into the wall and instead of stopping and backing up or turning it would keep pushing, the front wheel would get elevated and then send error message it was stuck. I would fix it and it would do the same thing over and over again, maybe mine was just defective but either way I'm moving on to something else.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Tried my fare share of robot vacuum and at least for now this one seems like the most promising.

I haven't connected to WiFi (couldn't get it to show on the app) however it is going in a line pattern and not missing a spot so far that's much better than the blind robots.

I have the m81 pro and that thing is very blind and stupid to the point it's going back. The m81 never hugged the trim and always stayed an inch away, this one seems to do a better job. Don't care much for the map feature just wish it had a remote that way I didn't have to use the app (remotes are parent friendly).
Sep 17, 2016
352 posts
174 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Tried my fare share of robot vacuum and at least for now this one seems like the most promising.

I haven't connected to WiFi (couldn't get it to show on the app) however it is going in a line pattern and not missing a spot so far that's much better than the blind robots.

I have the m81 pro and that thing is very blind and stupid to the point it's going back. The m81 never hugged the trim and always stayed an inch away, this one seems to do a better job. Don't care much for the map feature just wish it had a remote that way I didn't have to use the app (remotes are parent friendly).
Make sure that your phone and vacuum are both connected to the same 2.4 GHz network. It won't work if your phone is connected to 5 Ghz
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1641 posts
1140 upvotes
swales wrote: Decided to give the R95 a try after not having great success with a Roomba and omg the R95 is terrible!!!! I have an open floor plan, all hardwood and everything was picked up off the floor and this thing gets "stuck" every few minutes with always the error front wheel stuck. I tried the initial mapping and it was impossible as it kept getting stuck and if it got stuck it would go right back to the same place at least 5 times in a row and get stuck each time. I find that if it comes up to an obstacle like the legs of a table or even a wall it would just keep pushing even though it would never get thru and then throw up the I'm stuck message. With the Roomba it would turn around and move on. The Roomba I had was returned because it would always skip over rooms but it never got stuck unlike this POS. I'll be returning it this week which is too bad as I wanted something with room mapping but without the Roomba pricing.
Xiaomi would be good then.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
CDRoot wrote: Xiaomi would be good then.
That's my next try but worried now about the vendors as lots of people are having issues with orders and shipping
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
TitusBobby wrote: Make sure that your phone and vacuum are both connected to the same 2.4 GHz network. It won't work if your phone is connected to 5 Ghz
Well my phone is but I haven't connected the vacuum to my wifi which is what I thought I was doing from the app.
Dec 29, 2005
12 posts
Toronto
swales wrote: Good to see yours worked out, mine is on it's way back to Amazon. I gave the thing so many chances by erasing the maps and starting over and it was completely useless each and ever time, I would literally have to stand watch over it the whole time as it would get stuck every few minutes. The stupid thing would get stuck on walls with no obstacles around it, it would bang into the wall and instead of stopping and backing up or turning it would keep pushing, the front wheel would get elevated and then send error message it was stuck. I would fix it and it would do the same thing over and over again, maybe mine was just defective but either way I'm moving on to something else.
This seems like the exact issue I had with mine as well. Seemed to get stuck and then at times spin in a circle on the same spot. I tried several times to clear out the map and restart but same things would happen. Ended up contacting amazon for a replacement to see if I had a defective unit and sure enough I’m using new one as we speak for the first time and it is mapping my house as it should and correctly reorienting itself whenever it runs into something. There was definitely something wrong with the first unit. Though it probably doesn’t say much for their quality control, but maybe there was a bad batch or damage during delivery.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
kokoloko wrote: This seems like the exact issue I had with mine as well. Seemed to get stuck and then at times spin in a circle on the same spot. I tried several times to clear out the map and restart but same things would happen. Ended up contacting amazon for a replacement to see if I had a defective unit and sure enough I’m using new one as we speak for the first time and it is mapping my house as it should and correctly reorienting itself whenever it runs into something. There was definitely something wrong with the first unit. Though it probably doesn’t say much for their quality control, but maybe there was a bad batch or damage during delivery.
Hmmm wonder if I should order a replacement to see if it works like your replacement does.
Dec 29, 2005
12 posts
Toronto
swales wrote: Hmmm wonder if I should order a replacement to see if it works like your replacement does.
Definitely try it - nothing to lose as amazon shipped the replacement in 1-day and you were planning on returning the other one anyways. There was a definite sensor defect or something with the first one as it acted like a drunk robot. Even tried to take down the Xmas tree after tangling up the skirt. This new one actually avoided it and was even able to climb over my area rug where the other struggled and started manically circling on the spot. I’ve run it twice now and it nicely mapped out my house.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
I still haven't connected to wifi, but i let it run for the first time and watched it start the mapping process. I've used the ilife brand as well as the M81 Pro, i've seen the roomba in action but never owned. Although i've listed the pro and cons this robot has been the best i have tested so far and does an extremely good job. The Xiaomi has a slight edge from the reviews i've seen but this is worth it coz of Prime, warranty and proper safety/certification.

Pros:
The line pattern is very effective, it hasn't missed a spot (well it has but they all did see below in con)
Map to set no clean zones (carpet etc)
Battery died before it finished mapping, however it started from where it left off after charge.
Missed a huge corner of a room but was smart enough to go back and finish it.

Cons:
Connecting to wifi is painful, even though I'm tech savvy or maybe i have a defective unit.
Dustbin is smaller than the M81 Pro
Not very good on carpet with thick black lines, although to be fair all robots i've tried struggled so it isn't really a con for this robot as i can remove that area from the app.
No button on the robot to send it home which can only be done from the app, sometimes i'm not next to my phone.

It seems pretty effective and smart even when its offline, my one true complaint is the lack of a physical remote. The M81 and ilife both had them and it was really convenient not having to rely on a app for core functionality, I don't need or want a vacuum connected to the internet 24/7.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
kokoloko wrote: Definitely try it - nothing to lose as amazon shipped the replacement in 1-day and you were planning on returning the other one anyways. There was a definite sensor defect or something with the first one as it acted like a drunk robot. Even tried to take down the Xmas tree after tangling up the skirt. This new one actually avoided it and was even able to climb over my area rug where the other struggled and started manically circling on the spot. I’ve run it twice now and it nicely mapped out my house.
Decided to get a replacement which will arrive tomorrow and I'm hopeful it works better this time as I have all the problems you did with your defective unit so hopefully like you I get a unit this time that works.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)