Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome - Regular handle - $29.10

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2282 posts
1784 upvotes
Montreal, QC

[Amazon.ca] Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome - Regular handle - $29.10

I just noticed this on sale, and it is the lowest ever on amazon. I had put a watch on it on triple camel @$35 and I got an email yesterday about it going down to $29.03 (35% off). Today it is up to $29.10, so I pulled the trigger. Not sure how long it will last, but if you are looking for a nice double edge razor, this one is a great choice.

This is an awesome price, for a very well respected double edge razor, and also has great reviews.
Amazon regular price is $44.39. Fendrihan sells it for $48.

If you prefer electric razors, disposables, or those fancy overpriced cartridge razors, just move on, this is probably not for you Smiling Face With Sunglasses

EDIT: Price is creeping back up slowly.. Up to $29.56 this morning :) Typical amazon style pricing.
Last edited by Emporium on Nov 12th, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
46 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4325 posts
726 upvotes
Edmonton
I was eyeing this razor at a local store. Might be a different manufacture but looks identical. Lasting wise pretty sure any safety razor will last longer then you grow hair due to simplicity of the design. What I did find is the handle seemed slippery and if wet it would be worse.

I purchased one with handle etching and powder coating with more grip. Works very well with a learning curve. I do wish it was easier to index the handle and was not round but seems all are like this.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Oct 2, 2009
432 posts
246 upvotes
Bought one long time ago and used to use it daily until I bought an aluminum slant ;)

Please note that the de89 uses "pot metal". Some users from shaving forums have reported that the threading sometimes break and gets stuck in the top piece when dropped or through normal use. Just google "de89 potmetal".

I recommend the feather popular for $19 instead. Feather is a well known Japanese razor brand. The popular is made from stainless steel and plastic. Excellent first DE razor/travel razor.
https://www.amazon.ca/Feather-Double-Ed ... B003YJ70NY
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2007
3229 posts
298 upvotes
GVR
DE89 was either my first or 2nd ever DE razor. Fantastic option as a starter / stepping stone, very forgiving and reasonably efficient but mild. Probably one of the most popular razors in the world. A ton of new wet shavers begin with an EJ or Merkur razor - most models within each brand have the same head with different handle lengths/colours.

But there are better IMO, even for beginner wet shavers. For example, I think the Rockwell 6C (or 6S if you can afford the more durable stainless steel version) is a better starter because it's just as smooth and forgiving on the mild plates, but it's adjustable - it will give you 6 different baseplates to find your preference for blade gap.

If you don't shave until you have significant growth, or discover you have coarse hair and need an aggressive gap, you simply swap the baseplate. Want to shave every day and enjoy comfortable shaves? Use a milder baseplate. It's one razor that will allow you to experiment and find your sweet spot, whereas with a DE89 for example you have one setting, which to be fair, works fairly well for most people.

The 6C in Chrome is on sale right now it looks like on Amazon for $55 (appears to be an all-time low). I highly recommend considering it instead of a DE89. The 6S is $129.99 but buying from Rockwell directly you can use 10-20% coupons. Either the 6C or 6S could very well be your end game razor just because it's well made, consistent and versatile.

For blades, Astra SP is the safest recommendation. 100 for $16 on Amazon. Use them to learn, then if you enjoy the hobby enough, explore and try other blades.

Currently my daily driver is a Razorock Game Changer .84 - at this point I've experimented enough and I know what I like and that is aggressive razors, and the GC .84 is just the right amount of aggression for me. I like the smaller profile of the head to shave certain areas, like under the nose.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2282 posts
1784 upvotes
Montreal, QC
For those wanting to try a few different blades without committing too much, you can also get a sampler set from "http://www.tryablade.com/blade". Very reasonably priced, flat shipping, and you can order a few singles of different brands/models to try.
Like ahsalloum mentioned, the astra's are a safe bet. Not the sharpest, but just right for entry level. Every face is different. And what one person likes, may be completely useless for someone else. I prefer the Feather blades with a Merkur Futur on mid/mild setting. My son is finally getting past the peach fuzz stage, so he has been curious to start with DE razor, so this EJ is a perfect starter,
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2002
1379 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
mewko1502 wrote: Bought one long time ago and used to use it daily until I bought an aluminum slant ;)

Please note that the de89 uses "pot metal". Some users from shaving forums have reported that the threading sometimes break and gets stuck in the top piece when dropped or through normal use. Just google "de89 potmetal".

I recommend the feather popular for $19 instead. Feather is a well known Japanese razor brand. The popular is made from stainless steel and plastic. Excellent first DE razor/travel razor.
https://www.amazon.ca/Feather-Double-Ed ... B003YJ70NY
First this is exactly what happened to de89 - fell from stand and head broke off. Before that I had used for about a year and loved it.

The feather is great and is a nice tight shave but rusts on the few metal parts which is very irritating. (atleast this is my experience)
[#[_]#]
[+[_]::]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2282 posts
1784 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If someone wants to get started in DE razor shaving, and is on a tight budget, then something like this is a great option..
This "Lord" razor was my first razor. I've had it for many years. Has not rusted anywhere like some other cheap razors tend to do, it has taken a fall or two, and still intact. Best of all, it gives a pretty decent shave. The included "Lord" blades I found are junk, but the link I include above, also includes a pack of Feather Japanese blades. There are other bundles for this razor, like this one comes with a pack of Gillette Platinum blades instead of Feather. Feather Blades with this razor, I found to be a great combo, but every face is different.
All for under $15.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1098 posts
338 upvotes
Hamilton
Off topic but this crowd might appreciate the story. I went to the Superstore and couldn't find any blades for my straight. I asked the associate if they had any "Razor BLADES". "Of course", associate takes me back to the aisle and points at the wall of cartridges. "No, I need razors BLADES". Blank stare. I'm describing what a razor blade looks like. Associate gets another associate. Asks for blades? Next associate picks up a pack of disposables and offers it up. "No, razor blades" I say. Blank stare. The two start looking at the disposables pointing at the shiny parts wondering if they can be removed carefully or something and offer that as a solution.

tl:dr- get blades on Amazon if you buy this, Superstore doesn't sell them
Nov 16, 2015
550 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alpha2omega wrote: Off topic but this crowd might appreciate the story. I went to the Superstore and couldn't find any blades for my straight. I asked the associate if they had any "Razor BLADES". "Of course", associate takes me back to the aisle and points at the wall of cartridges. "No, I need razors BLADES". Blank stare. I'm describing what a razor blade looks like. Associate gets another associate. Asks for blades? Next associate picks up a pack of disposables and offers it up. "No, razor blades" I say. Blank stare. The two start looking at the disposables pointing at the shiny parts wondering if they can be removed carefully or something and offer that as a solution.

tl:dr- get blades on Amazon if you buy this, Superstore doesn't sell them
yeah not many places carry blades. i've seen them at rexall and SDM but are pretty expensive when compared to Amazon
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
I bought my first safety razer a few months ago. I'm not an expert to tell the difference but I'm happy with the purchase. This one comes with a nice weight to it, adjustable blade., and useful stand.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0716JHW11

There are all kinds of arguments pro and con different types of shaving methods. I stopped going all-in on any of them. I use my electric when I'm travelling. I use safety razers when I have build up hair and a 5 blade disposable for awkward spots like upper lip and adam's apple. (where safety razer sometimes nicks)
Last edited by needybot on Nov 12th, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2497 posts
447 upvotes
How much longer does DE razor shaving take then shaving with a Mach 3 or whatever? Start to finish in 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

I've been looking to switch for a few years due to cost, but I really have little time to shave in the morning with the kids and what not.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2619 posts
639 upvotes
This is my favorite DE razor in terms of feel and weight. It has an issue where the main screw will break apart into the head after a fall rendering the razor entirely useless. I went through 4 of these before switching to the Merkur Futur.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5991 posts
2394 upvotes
Canuckland
Great but very fragile, if you want something that will last for life get a merkur

Drop it once in your sink and kiss it goodbye
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5345 posts
1994 upvotes
Debtario
Tempted to buy it just to try it out, but I'm happy with my Merkur Futur. It's unfortunate they make these otherwise quality tools out of pot metal, stainless steel isn't that exotic and expensive nor is it difficult to work with, then again the DE community feels rather small so I suppose the economies of scale work against us.

I do have a price watch on the rockwell 6S but I've yet to see it drop below $100. There are so many razor handles out there that I should try but don't want to burn money finding what is really best for me.

Phlegmbot wrote: How much longer does DE razor shaving take then shaving with a Mach 3 or whatever? Start to finish in 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

I've been looking to switch for a few years due to cost, but I really have little time to shave in the morning with the kids and what not.
Depends how willing you are to do the prep and your skill/technique. Perfectly doable in that time frame, but best results happen with a careful and focused shave. Sure you can just squirt some canned stuff on your face and scrape away, but in my experience rushing results in nicks more often than not.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"